• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Size of HD DVD and Blu Ray Backups?

Nidge

Hi all,

I'm planning to use Any DVD HD to back my HD DVDs and Blu Rays to my HDD.

Am I right in thinking that as HD DVDs use 30Gb disks that the maximum size of each backed up film will be 30Gb and with Blu Ray that as they use a maximum of 50Gb discs that the maximum size of a backed up Blu Ray film will be 50Gb?

The main reason I'm asking is I'm about to order myself a hard drive and as I've got 20 HD DVDs I'm thinking that 20 x 30Gb= 600Gb, so I will need at most a 750Gb drive to store them?

Cheers.

I have a copy of Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End. Two Blu-Ray discs.

Ripping both discs uses almost 100Gb disc.

All of a sudden, 1Tb drives don't seem to big...........

I have a copy of Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End. Two Blu-Ray discs.

Ripping both discs uses almost 100Gb disc.

All of a sudden, 1Tb drives don't seem to big...........

Thanks-that would indicate that my rough calculations that each Blu Ray disk is a maximum of 50Gb? :clap:

Yes. Using some of the techniques in the forum you can pair that down a bit by removing unnecessary garbage from your disc and doing a movie only image, but, it's still going to take 20-30 gigs on average. Perhaps more if you leave a lot of the audio tracks in place. 1T isn't much these days for sure.

Yes. Using some of the techniques in the forum you can pair that down a bit by removing unnecessary garbage from your disc and doing a movie only image, but, it's still going to take 20-30 gigs on average. Perhaps more if you leave a lot of the audio tracks in place. 1T isn't much these days for sure.

Good stuff, I was just looking for a rough rule of thumb to calculate what size HDD I would need to create ISOs of my 20 HD DVDs so it looks like a 750GB will be more than enough!

Good stuff, I was just looking for a rough rule of thumb to calculate what size HDD I would need to create ISOs of my 20 HD DVDs so it looks like a 750GB will be more than enough!

I'm not sure I agree with "more than enough" but it should be a good start. :)

20 x HD DVDs at 30Gb each=600Gb though, so surely 750Gb will be enough?

For HD DVD, sure, but, for Blu-ray not necessarily. Assuming you scale them down and do movie only images(which is a real pain to deal with as there's nothing like CloneDVD that'll do it automatically. It's a very manual process to deal with that), you can get them into the 30-35 range per disc if you cut out most of the audio tracks. However, if you want menus and all that you have to leave the entire image in tact which can be up to 50 per disc. It really depends on what your goal is I guess.

For HD DVD, sure, but, for Blu-ray not necessarily. Assuming you scale them down and do movie only images(which is a real pain to deal with as there's nothing like CloneDVD that'll do it automatically. It's a very manual process to deal with that), you can get them into the 30-35 range per disc if you cut out most of the audio tracks. However, if you want menus and all that you have to leave the entire image in tact which can be up to 50 per disc. It really depends on what your goal is I guess.

For the moment just to get my HD DVDs backed up.

Cheers.

Back