• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Continuing problems with Verify

jpmccusa

Over much of the last month, I have been having severe problems with the Verify stage of making backups. I have even bought new hardware for burning. It used to happen just with DVD-R discs, but it has spread to DVD+R now, too. It happens with all my burning software, all of which predates the problem by over a year on my setup: DVDdecrypter, ImgBurn, and Sonic Digitral Media. I use DVDshrink on discs likely to require its services, but the problems occur whether I do or not. I have also bought all-new blank media, with no effect on results. Doing a system restore to a point before the problem arose has not helped. It happens with both PAL and NTSC originals.

What has happened is that in recent months, the burning speed generated at max has fallen off dramatically, from about 11.3x to at most 5.4x. Then, during the Verify stage, starting at about 70% through the Verify, the speed drops to zero. This has happened for a while, but in the last month, the speed does not come back up again, and the program ceases Verification with an error message. Usually, when I play the disc afterwards or scan it with DCspeed, no errors are present. The problem occurs much less often if I exit AnyDVD after the image is captured but before beginning to burn.

Please help me lick this annoying problem once and for all!

Anydvd does conflict with some programs during the verification process (imgburn is one example). Exit Anydvd before verifying burns.

I do this, but...

I do exit, but the problem still is present more often than not. Should I consider deleting ImgBurn, as I rarely use it?

It happens with all three:

DVDdecrypter, Sonic Digital Media, and ImgBurn. I also have Cucusoft loaded, but only to burn copies of AVI files from Windows Movie Maker. The problem never occured with the Cucusoft program, but I haven't used it since the problem began, either.

DVDdecrypter, Sonic Digital Media, and ImgBurn. I also have Cucusoft loaded, but only to burn copies of AVI files from Windows Movie Maker. The problem never occured with the Cucusoft program, but I haven't used it since the problem began, either.

If you already are exiting AnyDVD then it definitely isn't an AnyDVD issue. If verifies are failing then maybe a bad burn at too high a speed, poor quality media or there might be something else conflicting.

I wonder what lovely filters Sonic Digital Media installs. Check and see what is listed under your Upper & Lower Filters using ImgBurn.

Is this what you mean?

===============================================
Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.3.2.0
===============================================

Upper Device Filter: redbook
Upper Class Filter: [None Found]
Device: CD/DVD-ROM Device
Lower Class Filter: PxHelp20
Lower Class Filter: AnyDVD
Lower Device Filter: imapi

Filter Name: redbook
File Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys
File Version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
File Description: Redbook Audio Filter Driver
Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Product Version: 5.1.2600.2180
Company Name: Microsoft Corporation
Copyright: © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Filter Name: PxHelp20
File Name: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PxHelp20.sys
File Version: 2.03.27a [2.3.27.0]
File Description: Px Engine Device Driver for Windows 2000/XP
Product Name: PxHelp20
Product Version: [2.0.0.0]
Company Name: Sonic Solutions
Copyright: Copyright © Sonic Solutions

Filter Name: AnyDVD
File Name: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\AnyDVD.sys
File Version: 6.3.1.5
File Description: AnyDVD Filter Driver
Product Name: AnyDVD
Product Version: 6.3.1.5
Company Name: SlySoft, Inc.
Copyright: Copyright 2002 - 2008 SlySoft, Inc.

Filter Name: imapi
File Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\imapi.sys
File Version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
File Description: IMAPI Kernel Driver
Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Product Version: 5.1.2600.2180
Company Name: Microsoft Corporation
Copyright: © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

IF NOT, HOW DO I PROVIDE WHAT YOU'RE SEEKING?

Other than the possibility of pxhelp20 causing problems, I'm at a loss to explain why that would be happening.

Is DMA enabled for your drives?

Maybe I wasn't quite clear about something:

Even though the verify process usually fails, the discs most often seem to play properly and scan properly with CDspeed. I don't think that the discs are failing verification, it is the verification part of the process is not working correctly.

Even though the verify process usually fails, the discs most often seem to play properly and scan properly with CDspeed. I don't think that the discs are failing verification, it is the verification part of the process is not working correctly.

Yeah, I understand, but I'm at a loss to explain why the verification process would cause an issue provided Anydvd was disabled.

Yes, DMA seems to be enabled.

Yes, DMA seems to be enabled.

If it's any help, this all started exactly when there was an update to AnyDVD...when the tray cycled between the burn and the Verify, it would hang and not commence the Verify at all. The next...or a SUBSEQUENT...update (including Betas) had an correction that did away with hangs while scanning defective discs...though as I say, they play well (usually) and CDspeed says they're clean. Now the Verifies commence OK, whether I have the tray cycling or not, but then it slows and stops, never to return.

Back