• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

It looks like Blu-ray won?

BigBruce

Whelp.................... with the latest Endorsement from NetFlix & BestBuy................ it looks like we will all soon be users of the Blu-Ray Technology - for DVD's !!!!

I personally wanted HD-DVD to win, but........ oh well!

The bright-side is that MICROSOFT LOST !!!!!

Don't worry Guy's................... the cost for Blu-Ray Players & Discs will go down on us................... faster than a $20 Dollar......... "High Hooker" !!!!

oh heres the monthly "blu-ray is the winner" thread.... i have seen one pretty much from the beginning of 2007....

Unfortunately Microsoft doesn't care which wins... if they genuinely wanted HD-DVD to win things would be much different...

unfortunatly microsoft seems to be behave like a spoilt child.

I want it, i want it, i want it then after about 5 mins their bored with it and move onto the next want it item.

Wish they put some of that yahoo $45 billion offer towards the hddvd camp.

Buyout WB would have been nice.

unfortunatly microsoft seems to be behave like a spoilt child.

I want it, i want it, i want it then after about 5 mins their bored with it and move onto the next want it item.

Wish they put some of that yahoo $45 billion offer towards the hddvd camp.

Buyout WB would have been nice.

I wish they concentrate and spend money on improving Windows, Office, SQL Server and Visual Studio rather than throwing billions on Yahoo or HD DVD.

Am more of a HD-DVD fan but i have to say HD-DVD has lost this now once warner stop movies on hd-dvd its all over. HD-DVD lost every week last year and that was with warner still with hd-dvd its going to be impossible without them.

With Netflix dropping HD-DVD titles from it's inventory, that means that they'll only carry two-thirds of any new releases from the major studios in Hi-Def. I just dropped Blockbuster online last month because they raised their rates. Now it looks like I may have to switch back again. At least BB carries HD-DVDs online and I have a local BB store that stocks both HD-DVD and BD titles.

Best Buy takes HD DVD's hope away?

As it was not enough for Wal-Mart to go blu-ray. One more company has join blu-ray, dropping HD support.

After Netflix started this week with bad news for the HD DVD Group, now also Best Buy comes with horrifying news for the nearly surviving format. Starting next month Best Buy says it will prominently display Blu-ray players and discs in its stores. With this not being enough, the megastore announces that they will recommend Blu-ray to all its customers.

Blu-ray will have a prominent position in Best Buy's store, but unlike Netflix they will not make it an Blu-ray exclusive store. The HD DVD Promotional Group responded with a sad statement: 'We have long held the belief that HD DVD is the best format for consumers based on quality and value and with more than 1 million HD DVD players on the market, it's unfortunate to see Netflix make the decision to only stock Blu-ray titles going forward. While the Best Buy announcement says they will recommend Blu-ray, at least they will continue to carry HD DVD and offer consumers a choice at retail.'

The reaction from the format shows that they no longer believe in a major comeback or success. With saying that they long held belief, they actually say that this isn't there anymore.

Do you think that HD DVD is going to throw in the towl?

I have feeling future shop soon will become Blu-ray As well.

With Netflix dropping HD-DVD titles from it's inventory, that means that they'll only carry two-thirds of any new releases from the major studios in Hi-Def. I just dropped Blockbuster online last month because they raised their rates. Now it looks like I may have to switch back again. At least BB carries HD-DVDs online and I have a local BB store that stocks both HD-DVD and BD titles.

Soon BB will carry Blu-ray only.(Assume BB=BestBuy)

Microsoft wanted both formats to really fail from what I have read in the past ans wanted to mandate downloads instead where they are more able to keep track.

Although, from the look of the way that more and more isp are putting ridiculous bandwith limits here in north america, I think that movie download is so not ready to happen.

Although, from the look of the way that more and more isp are putting ridiculous bandwith limits here in north america, I think that movie download is so not ready to happen.

Yes they are working on that as we speak it will cost roughly 50.00 per month for the internet then another 50 to 60 to be able to download just 3 movies. Then another 10 per gig there after.

As it was not enough for Wal-Mart to go blu-ray. One more company has join blu-ray, dropping HD support.

Article is moot as Toshiba already announded they were pulling out of HD-DVD. The game was totally over before BB said a word.

-W

Yes they are working on that as we speak it will cost roughly 50.00 per month for the internet then another 50 to 60 to be able to download just 3 movies. Then another 10 per gig there after.

Look like Micrsoft is planning to cover cost of our bandwith and storage:D If it went that way.

Seems to be but I won't get any movies doing this method. The USB method sounds good though that has been going around.

Article is moot as Toshiba already announded they were pulling out of HD-DVD. The game was totally over before BB said a word.

-W

Toshiba has not officially announced anything yet. The announcement is expected to come from Toshiba Japan when it has a press conference in Japan at 5pm Japan time, or midnight Pacific US time today. They are expected to announce that production of hardware will cease immediately, and sales of hardware to cease in March.

As a side note to that expected announcement, it's widely believed that PC hardware is also affected, so, anyone thinking that it'll somehow live on in PC's will be sadly disappointed. That doesn't spell good things for the LG dual format drive. Also, it's extremely possible Samsung will announce the discontinuation of their dual format player so they can focus strictly on Blu now. It seems this format is going to die VERY quickly. Practically overnight. Now, where the hell are my Paramount and Uni press releases announcing their Blu-ray strategy??! Let's get Transformers on Blu with a lossless audio track. Something good needs to come from the more consumer friendly format dying. I want Star Trek on Blu, as well. If we're going to a one format solution, BRING IT ALL THE WAY.

Now, where the hell are my Paramount and Uni press releases announcing their Blu-ray strategy??! Let's get Transformers on Blu with a lossless audio track. Something good needs to come from the more consumer friendly format dying. I want Star Trek on Blu, as well. If we're going to a one format solution, BRING IT ALL THE WAY.

I would expect that Universal & Paramount are already aware of the content of the Toshiba statements to be made soon and will likely have their own statements at least out tomorrow sometime in the US.

It's officially over. Now can we stop the format war bitching and move on to getting BD+ cracked? :rock:

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/...d=news_view&newsLang=en&newsId=20080219005651

TOKYO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Toshiba Corporation today announced that it has undertaken a thorough review of its overall strategy for HD DVD and has decided it will no longer develop, manufacture and market HD DVD players and recorders. This decision has been made following recent major changes in the market. Toshiba will continue, however, to provide full product support and after-sales service for all owners of Toshiba HD DVD products.

HD DVD was developed to offer consumers access at an affordable price to high-quality, high definition content and prepare them for the digital convergence of tomorrow where the fusion of consumer electronics and IT will continue to progress.

“We carefully assessed the long-term impact of continuing the so-called 'next-generation format war' and concluded that a swift decision will best help the market develop,” said Atsutoshi Nishida, President and CEO of Toshiba Corporation. "While we are disappointed for the company and more importantly, for the consumer, the real mass market opportunity for high definition content remains untapped and Toshiba is both able and determined to use our talent, technology and intellectual property to make digital convergence a reality.”

Toshiba will continue to lead innovation, in a wide range of technologies that will drive mass market access to high definition content. These include high capacity NAND flash memory, small form factor hard disk drives, next generation CPUs, visual processing, and wireless and encryption technologies. The company expects to make forthcoming announcements around strategic progress in these convergence technologies.

Toshiba will begin to reduce shipments of HD DVD players and recorders to retail channels, aiming for cessation of these businesses by the end of March 2008. Toshiba also plans to end volume production of HD DVD disk drives for such applications as PCs and games in the same timeframe, yet will continue to make efforts to meet customer requirements. The company will continue to assess the position of notebook PCs with integrated HD DVD drives within the overall PC business relative to future market demand.

This decision will not impact on Toshiba’s commitment to standard DVD, and the company will continue to market conventional DVD players and recorders. Toshiba intends to continue to contribute to the development of the DVD industry, as a member of the DVD Forum, an international organization with some 200 member companies, committed to the discussion and defining of optimum optical disc formats for the consumer and the related industries.

Toshiba also intends to maintain collaborative relations with the companies who joined with Toshiba in working to build up the HD DVD market, including Universal Studios, Paramount Pictures, and DreamWorks Animation and major Japanese and European content providers on the entertainment side, as well as leaders in the IT industry, including Microsoft, Intel, and HP. Toshiba will study possible collaboration with these companies for future business opportunities, utilizing the many assets generated through the development of HD DVD.

This situation is actually quite troublesome.

Toshiba is a chucking hd dvd away because its not profitable. Even with players down to $100 US, people still aren't buying them. Blueray has gone the other way and made the players so high as to make a profit and they know die-hards will buy them no matter what the price. The fact is a few million players for technology that is nearly 5 years old is bad, its complete failure almost.

Sure this will help blue-ray, but its unlikly that it will help speed up adoption or lower prices at all. Blue-ray looks to remain expensive for at least another 2 years.

Everyone has lost with this format war. HD-DVD owners now have to buy another player, once that is like to not lower in cost. blue-ray owners are now stuck with sony's monopoly, which means they will have no incentive to introduce the fair use parts of the aacs to allow copying etc.

Back