• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Help with iso

klm4379

I recently had to back up my copy of Apocalypto as it was horrendously scratched and becoming unplayable. I couldn't originally use CloneDVD Mobile (whatever the latest version is) because of the nonstop CRC errors. After browsing these forums I downloaded and used IsoPuzzle to eventually recover the entire disc and saved it to my harddrive. I just tried to use CloneDVD Mobile to convert the iso to mp4 so that I can put it on my iPod at some point. Unfortunately, it cannot be completed due to copyright protection still being present. Now I also have the latest version of AnyDVD as well, but I cannot for the life of me find a way to run it on a file and not a disc. If there is indeed not a way to use AnyDVD to this end, how can I make this work??

To clarify exactly what I've done thusfar:
1. Used IsoPuzzle to create .iso of Apocalypto
2. Unzipped .iso to desktop
3. Started CloneDVD Mobile (set to Ipod 5th gen. hires) and selected the Video_TS file that was unzipped
4. Approximately 15-20% through the process, I get the copyright protection errors.

I should also note that the original disc itself has gone "missing" (though I suspect that it was tossed into the garbage by a well-meaning loved one who now does not want to face wrath by admitting it). :D

I recently had to back up my copy of Apocalypto as it was horrendously scratched and becoming unplayable. I couldn't originally use CloneDVD Mobile (whatever the latest version is) because of the nonstop CRC errors. After browsing these forums I downloaded and used IsoPuzzle to eventually recover the entire disc and saved it to my harddrive. I just tried to use CloneDVD Mobile to convert the iso to mp4 so that I can put it on my iPod at some point. Unfortunately, it cannot be completed due to copyright protection still being present. Now I also have the latest version of AnyDVD as well, but I cannot for the life of me find a way to run it on a file and not a disc. If there is indeed not a way to use AnyDVD to this end, how can I make this work??

To clarify exactly what I've done thusfar:
1. Used IsoPuzzle to create .iso of Apocalypto
2. Unzipped .iso to desktop
3. Started CloneDVD Mobile (set to Ipod 5th gen. hires) and selected the Video_TS file that was unzipped
4. Approximately 15-20% through the process, I get the copyright protection errors.

I should also note that the original disc itself has gone "missing" (though I suspect that it was tossed into the garbage by a well-meaning loved one who now does not want to face wrath by admitting it). :D

What you should do is mount the ISO using a program like Slysoft VirtualCloneDrive, Nero ImageDrive, etc. When the disc is mounted AnyDVD will see the virtual drive as another DVD reader and remove the protections when you rip the disc. It's still possible that IsoPuzzle may have created output that AnyDVD may not like, however. I have no personal experience using IsoPuzzle.

Well, I downloaded the Slysoft VirtualCloneDrive and mounted the iso. I think that it would have worked, but apparently the file/dvd was too damaged (IsoPuzzle claimed to have recovered 97.9%). CloneDVD Mobile first attempts to repair a defective structure, then it just gives out shortly thereafter and throws up another error ( I don't recall exact wording... something about a start block error maybe?). I can use VLC Media Player to play the individual .vob files just fine, however there are some minor pixellated areas. Personally, the amount of pixellation doesn't bother me, but I suppose that CloneDVD Mobile doesn't want to see past it.

My next question, is there any other way to get this movie into a format more feasible for viewing? I just don't want to chuck it if there's something else I can try first.

EDIT: I tried running it through for iPod setting, Generic DivX, and a VOB Passthrough. All give the same result, just not at consistently the same time/percentage.

Last edited:
Well, I downloaded the Slysoft VirtualCloneDrive and mounted the iso. I think that it would have worked, but apparently the file/dvd was too damaged (IsoPuzzle claimed to have recovered 97.9%). CloneDVD Mobile first attempts to repair a defective structure, then it just gives out shortly thereafter and throws up another error ( I don't recall exact wording... something about a start block error maybe?). I can use VLC Media Player to play the individual .vob files just fine, however there are some minor pixellated areas. Personally, the amount of pixellation doesn't bother me, but I suppose that CloneDVD Mobile doesn't want to see past it.

My next question, is there any other way to get this movie into a format more feasible for viewing? I just don't want to chuck it if there's something else I can try first.

EDIT: I tried running it through for iPod setting, Generic DivX, and a VOB Passthrough. All give the same result, just not at consistently the same time/percentage.

Slysoft & Elaborate Bytes software won't skip over errors like some other programs out there. Skipping damaged portions of a disc means your backup is also damaged and the purpose of the software is to make a perfect backup. Waiting until a disc is this damaged to make a backup is... too late, unfortunately.

In short, maybe some third party software will work but CloneDVD mobile isn't going to if it's already given you errors.

Delete the file you have and run IsoPuzzle again on the original disc but this time have AnyDVD enabled in the background at its default settings.

Delete the file you have and run IsoPuzzle again on the original disc but this time have AnyDVD enabled in the background at its default settings.

Which can't be done b/c apparently the original was thrown away.

'Fixing' scratched DVDs

I'm new here and this probably isn't the proper place to post this suggestion, but I know damaged disks account for the reasons many of us back up our collections. I like to use the scratch removies systems you can purchase at many stores such as Wal-Mart or K-mart. They come in manual or motor-driven types and can many time recover a badly scratched DVD back to a point where a usable backup can be made from it. Just thought I'd put in my two cents worth. Again, my apologies for possibly posting this in the wrong place.

Oops! Removies??

Sorry, that was supposed to read 'scratch removal' system.

I'm new here and this probably isn't the proper place to post this suggestion, but I know damaged disks account for the reasons many of us back up our collections. I like to use the scratch removies systems you can purchase at many stores such as Wal-Mart or K-mart. They come in manual or motor-driven types and can many time recover a badly scratched DVD back to a point where a usable backup can be made from it. Just thought I'd put in my two cents worth. Again, my apologies for possibly posting this in the wrong place.

The problem with pretty much all the products that I have seen for both cleaning and fixing scratches is that they function in a circular manner which is not good. You should go from the middle hub straight to the outside edge and work your way around when cleaning a disc. No cleaner nor scratch removal utility I've seen does this.

My intention isn't to do anything illegal. Apparently from what I've read here, I'm just out of luck on this one. I do usually try to make the back ups before anything happens to the discs, unfortunately I allowed this movie to be borrowed soon after purchase... which means it was naturally returned virtually unusable. :bang: Mental note: Make backup upon opening plastic shrinkwrap. Will save grief in longrun.

Thanks for all the help anyways to everyone who replied. I'll just buy a new copy of the movie (and back it up immediately before anyone else can get their grubby little paws on it!). I was just trying to explore all options before I went out and spent the money... again. :D

EDIT: @Lynx05, for future reference if I run AnyDVD in the background while running IsoPuzzle, would that likely eliminate this kind of problem?

Last edited:
I recently had to back up my copy of Apocalypto as it was horrendously scratched and becoming unplayable.
In the future, take it down to your local rental store and ask them to resurface the disc for you. They may charge you for it, but they have professional equipment to grind the surface of the disc back, thus removing the scratches and restoring the disc so that it can be rented out again (or in your case, played back flawlessly once more).

In the future, take it down to your local rental store and ask them to resurface the disc for you. They may charge you for it, but they have professional equipment to grind the surface of the disc back, thus removing the scratches and restoring the disc so that it can be rented out again (or in your case, played back flawlessly once more).

Excellent idea! My County library was gifted a very high-grade polisher/buffing system. And they are happy to use it on any disc I have brought in. Just ask.

Excellent idea! My County library was gifted a very high-grade polisher/buffing system. And they are happy to use it on any disc I have brought in. Just ask.

I hadn't ever thought of a local library but that's a good idea. I'll have to keep that in mind.

As far as I know none of the rental places where I live be they national chains or otherwise own the equipment to resurface a disc. They have to take the discs elsewhere.

Many used video game stores have the necessary equipment to resurface discs as well.

Back