• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Unable to play 'F4:Silver Surfer' & 'From Hell' from original BD

lyd

Hello,

I'm stumped here, and I'm hoping someone can throw me a bone. I am unable to watch "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer" and "From Hell", off the original Blu-Ray discs, using PDVD.

The drive is an LG GGC-H20L
AnyDVD HD version is 6.3.1.5
PowerDVD Ultra version is 3730
PC is not HDCP compliant (on the video card end)

With AnyDVD enabled, PDVD throws the "A disk with an unsupported format has been inserted in drive..." error. With AnyDVD disabled, the disks load normally, but then of course I get an HDCP error. When I tried to rip Silver Surfer to disk, just for the sake of experimentation (I don't have any special desire to rip them, I just want to view them), AnyDVD quit the operation at about 50% with a read error.

Unless I am misunderstanding what I have been reading here, I should be able to play these -- is this correct? If so, does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks.

lyd

BD+ is not your friend. Those titles are BD+ protected so you will need to find an older version of PowerDVD to play them with AnyDVD active. I suggest build 3319a. Unfortunately we are not allowed to provide links to older PowerDVD versions (nor do I have one to give you anyway).

BD+ is not your friend. Those titles are BD+ protected so you will need to find an older version of PowerDVD to play them with AnyDVD active. I suggest build 3319a. Unfortunately we are not allowed to provide links to older PowerDVD versions (nor do I have one to give you anyway).

No problems, I have everything from 3319a up, but I thought that was only necessary if you were trying to play from HDD.

I did try running the executable for 3319a and couple of others from backups of the install dir made between upgrades, but was getting the same unsupported format error. If 3319a + current AnyDVD is the known working solution, I guess I will have to re-run the 3319a install from scratch and see if that gives me any better results.

Thanks for the reply.

lyd

Yea, it has nothing to do with trying to play it from the HDD, unfortunately. The later versions of PowerDVD will refuse to play a BD+ protected title if there's no AACS encryption. As you're running AnyDVD to remove the encryption to get around HDCP, obviously the requirement fails and you get the most obscure possible error code they could find. :D I recently learned a few things about the PowerDVD uninstall/reinstall process from Cyberlink as I was having audio sync problems. Try this:

-Uninstall existing Power DVD version
-Check hkey_local_machine and hkey_current_users for any Cyberlink keys in the Software tree. Delete them
-Delete any PowerDVD folders left over from the uninstall
-Reboot
-Make sure audio and video drivers are up to date
-Reinstall

This seems to have gotten rid of my audio sync issues on build 3730 so, this should help you if you have trouble reinstalling 3319a.

That's great, thanks a lot.

With all the version-swapping hooey we seem to need to go through with PDVD, for one reason or another, it's a shame no enterprising soul has whipped up a little app to make it faster and easier. That install is a drag, to say nothing of having to re-enter the activation key every time.

lyd

They have but last I saw it was infected with a trojan or some other nonsense. There's a command line script that James wrote that allows you to switch between versions but that too is a pain in the ass IMO. I simply went to 3730 for now and will leave it at that. I can't play any BD+ titles with AnyDVD active but since I have HDCP equipment it's not really a problem for me and still gives me better playback than my PS3 in terms of audio.

Back