• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Bad disc, can I copy it?

ChuckH

I am trying to copy Star Wars 2, Attack of the Clones to my hard drive for my movie server and am having trouble. I checked the forums here and followed the advice to download Nero CD-DVD Speed and run the scandisc test. It is currently running, although it crashed the first time through. It is about 1/2 way through and it reports 97% good, 1.3% damaged, and 0.8% bad. The movie starts having problems about 1/2 through the ripping process too.

The movie plays fine. The forums did state that the movie could play fine but not copy because of damage. I am using Nero Recode and AnyDVD 6.3.1.5.

Does anyone have any advice on how to force the ripper to ignore the damaged sections and copy it as if it were playing the movie?

Thanks.

If the disc original disc is faulty, then unfortunately, there's not much you can do with Anydvd exclusively.

But the problem may also be a slowly dying drive or driver related conflicts. I can check to see if there's anything in your filters that may be causing issues:

a) Ensure Anydvd is running.
b) Put the problematic original disc in your optical drive/reader. Wait for Anydvd to scan the disc.
c) Right click the red fox icon on your toolbar.
d) Select "Create Logfile"
e) Wait for Anydvd to create a log file.
f) A pop-up screen will appear. Take note of the location where Anydvd created the logfile and the logfile's name. Click "ok".
g) Go to your My Documents folder
h) You will see a zip file called "Anydvd_Info_titleofmydisc.zip" (or something similar; see step f)
i) When replying or posting in the Slysoft forums, look for the icon that looks like
attach.gif

j) If you don't see that paperclip icon, click the "go advanced" button. You should see that icon now. Click the paperclip.
k) A small pop-up screen should appear (if it doesn't please ensure your browser is enabled to allow pop-ups from the Slysoft forums)
l) Click the "Browse" button, and locate and select the .zip file you created.
m) click "upload"

I am fairly sure it is the disc itself. I have ripped a few dozen discs to my hard drive without problems. I ran that disc check twice and it appeared to show the errors in the same positions, although the program crashed both times near the end. I also was able to copy another DVD (Star Wars 3) immediately after I had the problem with SW2.

The log file is attached.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_Info_E_ATTACK_OF_THE_CLONES_D1.zip
    125.6 KB · Views: 3
The problem is, in all likelyhood, a bad original disc. If you use something other than Clonedvd or Anydvd ripper to rip the disc, then you may be skipping over read errors, which will result in an imperfect backup where material will be missing (it may be less than second, but it could be quite a bit longer).

There are some potential software/driver issues on your system that may cause problems.

Iviaspi (system32\drivers\iviaspi.sys), Version: 1.0.0.0 (1.0.0.0)
Company: InterVideo, Inc.
Product: InterVideo ASPI Shell
Copyright: InterVideo, Inc. 1999-2003. All rights reserved.
Description: InterVideo ASPI Shell
FileVersion: 1, 0, 0, 0
ProductVersion: 1, 0, 0, 0

Typically that's installed by Pinnacle Studio (and possibly Windvd)

James says that filter can cause problems: click http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=36523&postcount=9

MxlW2k (system32\drivers\MxlW2k.sys), Version: 1.1.0.121 (1.1.0.121)
Company: MusicMatch, Inc.
Product: MusicMatch Access Layer
Copyright: Copyright © 2000 MusicMatch, Inc.
Description: MusicMatch Access Layer KMD
FileVersion: 1.1.0.121
ProductVersion: 1.1.0.121

Musicmatch is also know to cause problems

i) Create a backup of your registry
ii) Download imgburn. It's a free program: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
(it's also an excellent program imo)
iii)Go to "Tools"-->"Filter Drive Load Order"
iv) Select "Iviaspi"; select "remove selected filter". Select "MxlW2k". Click "Remove Selected filter". Then click "ok", and reboot.

The program(s) that installed those filters will no longer work properly.

2. Click the red fox icon on your desktop. Click the "default" button. Click "ok".

Step 1 and 2 are general troubleshooting guidelines, but for the purposes of troubleshooting (to rule out other possibilities), you may want to consider doing them.

Again, in all likelyhood, you probably do have a bad original disc.

I'll try that. Thank you for the quick response.

Does anyone have any advice on how to force the ripper to ignore the damaged sections and copy it as if it were playing the movie?
Take the damaged disc to a DVD place that has a disc resurfacing machine and if it is repairable, it will come out looking like new for only a few bucks.
I would strongly suggest that you do not do your own repair or waste money on repair kits.

Have a good of IsoPuzzle. It has a great history of ripping scratched discs. Make sure AnyDVD is enabled and running in the background.

Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and an extremely soft cloth is very handy. I have it in a tiny spray bottle.

Or toothpaste with whitener. Make sure it's not the kind with the little salt crystals in it. Run the disc under warm water and then shake it dry. Rub the toothpaste on it from the center out in straight lines, let stand for apx 5 minutes then rinse under warm water. pad it dry and give it a try. That tends to fix any scratches or pits on the disc well enough to play in most dvd players

Have a good of IsoPuzzle. It has a great history of ripping scratched discs. Make sure AnyDVD is enabled and running in the background.
If that doesn't work and all other things tried; ISOBuster will do a raw bit-for-bit extraction for you. You'll still need to run the result through AnyDVD (probably by burning or creating an ISO and mounting it) and the disc will need to be run through a competent program (like CloneDVD2 or DVDRemakePro) to fix any missing data errors after that.

Take the damaged disc to a DVD place that has a disc resurfacing machine and if it is repairable, it will come out looking like new for only a few bucks.
I would strongly suggest that you do not do your own repair or waste money on repair kits.

Who would do this? What category should I look in in the phone book?

Who would do this? What category should I look in in the phone book?
I'm not sure where you could get it done for just $5 like the poster said, but most companies I know that resurface discs tend to charge $30-50 or so.

Cheaper service?

I live near Colorado Springs and our local independent record store chain which sells New and Used CD's and DVD's charges a dollar.:agree:

Back