• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

HD DVD on Blu-ray media?

nrmsmith

Hi there

Silly question time! Is it possible to rip an HD-DVD movie onto a hard disk using AnyDVD HD and then write the movie to a Blu-ray disc (using a blu-ray mastering software such as Cyberlink PowerProducer or Nerovision) so that it plays on a blu-ray drive (either in a PC or standalone player)?

NigelS

No it isn't, you'd have to strip the streams then remux them in something like TSremux, and then you'd only have the movie and none of the menu's etc as they're not compatible

You can do it but it will only play on a PC using a BD/HD combo drive a standalone player will not play them but not many HD30 discs will fit onto a BD25

The same question occured to me this evening... When HD-DVD is dead I will want to convert my movies over to BD for burning and playing. I won't want to be keeping my obsolete HD-DVD players and I don't suspect we'll see another combo player come to market.

Hopefully by the time that HD DVD is dead there will be some high quality (consumer affordable) authoring tools for BD, affordable 2 layer media, affordable burners, and a stable standard that doesn't obselete any of those purchases. (Damn I hate Sony right now...) I suppose gettting the streams and the chapter stops across would probably be good enough...

Yep

I'd sure want to know that my HD-DVD collection can be "migrated" to a BD format. Surely that ability would be a concession that the "prize winner" would be able to offer to those who participated in the marketplace showdown.

why everybody want to convert hd-dvd to blu-ray and not blu-ray to hd-dvd?
if you really like the hd-dvd movies why don't you bought an cheap hd-dvd player?

all people who like hd-dvd movies should buy an hd-dvd player to save the hd-dvd format, but now it's to late i think.

That's just an idea..

The same question occured to me this evening... When HD-DVD is dead I will want to convert my movies over to BD for burning and playing. I won't want to be keeping my obsolete HD-DVD players and I don't suspect we'll see another combo player come to market.

Hopefully by the time that HD DVD is dead there will be some high quality (consumer affordable) authoring tools for BD, affordable 2 layer media, affordable burners, and a stable standard that doesn't obselete any of those purchases. (Damn I hate Sony right now...) I suppose gettting the streams and the chapter stops across would probably be good enough...
Ulead DVD Movie Factory 6 already allows you to author both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs. I've been using it for over a year now to create my own homebrew HD-DVDs from recordings culled from my HTPC and Series 3 Tivo and my DirecTV HDTivo before that. I'll keep an HD-DVD player around just for the ability to play back all my own HD-DVDs.

HD-DVD will never be completely dead. You just (possibly) won't be able to get any new titles in the format. No doubt that the remaining studios supporting HD-DVD will be tempted to jump ship now that Warner has bailed out on the format. Heck, I've still got old home movies on Beta tapes! As long as I have a Beta VCR the format will never be dead (unfortunately, I got rid of my last Beta player years ago).

The cheaper HD DVD players won't play back HD-DVDr's I have to play mine back on the XBox 360 as my Toshiba player won't play them ( I asked Toshiba and they said it wouldn't play them)

The cheaper HD DVD players won't play back HD-DVDr's I have to play mine back on the XBox 360 as my Toshiba player won't play them ( I asked Toshiba and they said it wouldn't play them)
Yet another self-inserted nail in the HD-DVD coffin. Ironically, HD-DVD players will play back HD-DVDs authored on standard DVD media using the process I mentioned above. The only caveat is that you'll need multiple DVD-Rs for a single 2-hour movie due to the size of the files.

It may work with the more expensive ones, and may even work with discs authored in Moviefactory, I havn't tried that

Back