• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

The Kingdom

cage123au

Hi all, I am attempting to convert this movie "The Kingdom" to .mp4 so that the Arabic speaking segments show up with English subtitles. I do not want to set it to English as then I would see the subtitles all the way through the movie. Is there a way to just have the foreign language areas show subtitles and not the rest.

Hope I explained that well enough for people to help.

Thanks
Mike

Come on guys - some of you must have had to deal with this before.

Thanks again
Mike

Hi Mike,

I think what you are looking for is to only display the so called 'Forced Subtitles'.

Have a look at the following profile - it includes the option to only encode this type of subtitle into the video stream. BTW - I haven't been able to properly test this as I don't have a DVD with subtitles here at work ;)

Code:
[* Generic (DivX/2CH MP3) AVI - Forced Subtitles]
Res1=320x240
Res2=480x360
Res3=640x480
Res4=720x540
ResAna1=320x180
ResAna2=480x270
ResAna3=640x360
ResAna4=720x404
ResAna5=852x480
AllowNativeTVResolution=1
VTag=DIVX
mopts=-audio-preload 0.8 -delay 0.1 -lameopts br=%abrate% -forcedsubsonly%PASS%
lavcopts=vcodec=mpeg4
moac=mp3lame
Format=avi -noodml
FileType=avi
ARate=48000
ABRate=128
MVolume=10
Quality=23
useMencoder=1
SubTitle=1
MaxVBitrate=3000

Hi AtThe Asylum, thanks for the response. Now.....I am not good at this, but willing to try. The preferred format I encode in is the following from the Devices.ine file.

[iPod Video 5. gen (hires)]
Manufacturer=Apple (iPod/iPhone/AppleTV)
useMencoder=1
SubTitle=1
Res1=320x240
Res2=512x384
Res3=640x480
ResAna1=320x180
ResAna2=426x240
ResAna3=512x288
ResAna4=640x360
ARate=48000
ABRate=128
Format=lavf
lavfopts=format=mp4
lavcopts=aglobal=1:vglobal=1:vcodec=mpeg4:coder=1:acodec=libfaac
FileType=mp4
MVolume=20
MLVolume=20
Quality=23
iPodFix=0
MaxVBitrate=2500

I have already changed this section to increase the volume, so it is not the standard as issued. So, do I make a completely new entry or just add parts to this section that references forced subtitles. The only reference I see in your code that mentions forced subtitles is this line.

Which does not appear in my particular section. Do I add this in, or tack on parts to portions of my entry. I'm a little confused.

BUT.... you are right, what I am trying to achieve is for it to only show the "Forced Subtitles" now I know what it is called, anywhere, in any movie where there is a foreign language so it shows its translation back to English in the subtitle. Once I have this, it should work for all movies I would expect.

Any further help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

Try this one :)

Code:
[iPod Video 5. gen (hires) - Forced Subtitles]
useMencoder=1
SubTitle=1
Res1=320x240
Res2=512x384
Res3=640x480
ResAna1=320x180
ResAna2=426x240
ResAna3=512x288
ResAna4=640x360
ARate=48000
ABRate=128
Format=lavf
lavfopts=format=mp4
lavcopts=aglobal=1:vglobal=1:vcodec=mpeg4:coder=1: acodec=libfaac
mopts=-forcedsubsonly%PASS%
FileType=mp4
MVolume=20
MLVolume=20
Quality=23
iPodFix=0
MaxVBitrate=2500

No...sorry, that did not work. I basically, took your code and overwrote the one in the devices.ini file with yours and saved it.. Then tried the chapter section that has the arabic in it. If I watch the DVD from the HDD, it has the translation, just can't get it to show when I encode using the mobile program. Bummer.....:(

Did you choose the subtitles on the 'Audio and Subtitles Settings' screen? I think you would need to choose a subtitle set (ie: don't choose 'None') before the '-forcedsubsonly' option becomes operational.

Did you choose the subtitles on the 'Audio and Subtitles Settings' screen? I think you would need to choose a subtitle set (ie: don't choose 'None') before the '-forcedsubsonly' option becomes operational.

I did not the first time, but did the second. As you can see, I have selected English. However, I then get the subtitles all the way through even when they are speaking English which I did not want.

Clone1.jpg

In the second image you can see the English subtitle is selected in the configuration box, but I get the same result, with the code you mention or if I use the standard default code. You may also notice I have just used the default resolution, once I figure this out, I will go with my usual settings. I am also just trying the particular chapter that has the arabic, not the whole movie.

Clone2.jpg

Thanks again for staying with me. I did ask the support development team, but they were not very helpful, they just told me to follow what you had said. Maybe you should ask for a job, you seem to know more than they do. Anyway, thanks again.

OK - this is interesting...

I tried your iPod profile (without the forced subtitles) and it produced an MP4. However, I could not get this to play on my PC. I even tried adding the file to my iTunes library with iTunes but without success...

I then tried the profile below. Basically it's a generic DivX profile. I ran two tests.

The first one using the profile exactly as included below, choosing the English subtitle track produced a DivX with no subtitles. I expected this since the DVD I tested on does not have forced subtitles.

The second test used a slightly modified version of the profile below where I removed the '-forcedsubsonly' option. Again I chose the English subtitle track. This produced a DivX with all subtitles as expected.

This says to me that the '-forcedsubsonly' option is doing something.

Unfortunately I don't have access to a DVD with forced subtitles to test further. Are you able to test the profile below on The Kingdom DVD? At least this will tell me if the '-forcedsubsonly' option is working.

Code:
[* Generic (DivX/2CH MP3) AVI **FORCED SUBTITLES**]
Res1=320x240
Res2=480x360
Res3=640x480
Res4=720x540
ResAna1=320x180
ResAna2=480x270
ResAna3=640x360
ResAna4=720x404
ResAna5=852x480
VTag=DIVX
lavcopts=vcodec=mpeg4
moac=mp3lame
Format=avi -noodml
FileType=avi
ARate=48000
ABRate=128
MVolume=10
Quality=23
useMencoder=1
SubTitle=1
MaxVBitrate=3000

OK - this is interesting...

I tried your iPod profile (without the forced subtitles) and it produced an MP4. However, I could not get this to play on my PC. I even tried adding the file to my iTunes library with iTunes but without success...

I then tried the profile below. Basically it's a generic DivX profile. I ran two tests.

The first one using the profile exactly as included below, choosing the English subtitle track produced a DivX with no subtitles. I expected this since the DVD I tested on does not have forced subtitles.

The second test used a slightly modified version of the profile below where I removed the '-forcedsubsonly' option. Again I chose the English subtitle track. This produced a DivX with all subtitles as expected.

This says to me that the '-forcedsubsonly' option is doing something.

Unfortunately I don't have access to a DVD with forced subtitles to test further. Are you able to test the profile below on The Kingdom DVD? At least this will tell me if the '-forcedsubsonly' option is working.

OK - Will try this when I get back. i will be out of action for 4-5 days, so hopefully, if all goes well, will be back in touch giving this a try.

Thanks again. I have not given up ....quite yet.

Thanks again. I have not given up ....quite yet.

Well, have now, I have tried all manner of things to just output the subtitles for the foreign language areas ONLY, still no luck. It seems all or nothing. I don't think this DVD Mobile is program is capable of doing it.

Regards
Mike

Found this reference at the Handbrake forum (http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2430) where they were also struggling with forced subtitles. I think that the Kingdom is probably type 2 :(

The relevant text is below:

"I suppose I should point out there are two types of forced subtitles.

One, which used to be more common, is that a single code is used in the DVD nav to force the selection of a subtitle, for which there is an entire (though nearly entirely blank) subtitle stream on the DVD. (Kill Bill is a good example of this.)

The second, which is increasingly more frequently used, has only one subtitle stream that is optional, but at select points in the movie, DVD nav codes are used to check to see if the subtitle is turned on, and turns it on if it isn't. After the "forced" segment has played, further nav codes check the prior state of subtitles, and if they were off before the force, turns them back off again. (Star Wars Episode IV is a good example of this.)

The first one is pretty easy to detect and handle (mencoder and VLC do it, and eddyg's solution is a fine one). The second one is beyond nightmarish...and, sadly, the one most people are looking for."

Oh well, I just ended up encoding with subtitles all the way through. Went deep into VLC to see if I could work it as well, no luck. Anyway, thanks for all the help AtTheAsylum

Regards
Mike

HEY!! Slysoft Developement Team.. yes you guys know who you are. It seems reading the forums the last few weeks and looking back further, it appears I am not the only one having issues with subttiles in movies. How about you give us a little help here and attempt to make what is a great product, better. Show us how, or tell us what we need to do, to force subtitles on for select language sections. We DO NOT want subtitles for the whole movie.

Come on programmers....do your thing.

Other than, that, it is a great product.

Regards
Mike

Well, have now, I have tried all manner of things to just output the subtitles for the foreign language areas ONLY, still no luck. It seems all or nothing. I don't think this DVD Mobile is program is capable of doing it.

Regards
Mike
Having been sent here from another thread I decided to try The Kingdom and CloneDvdMobile produces the foreign language "English subtitles" as expected WITHOUT selecting subtitles (disabled in CloneDvdMobile selection screen). These are Type 1 subtitles that appear by default so I don't know why you are not also seeing them.

attachment.php

Attachments

• cropping009.jpg
    cropping009.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 146
One 1 pass

Hi Mike,

I think what you are looking for is to only display the so called 'Forced Subtitles'.

Have a look at the following profile - it includes the option to only encode this type of subtitle into the video stream. BTW - I haven't been able to properly test this as I don't have a DVD with subtitles here at work ;)

Code:
[* Generic (DivX/2CH MP3) AVI - Forced Subtitles]
Res1=320x240
Res2=480x360
Res3=640x480
Res4=720x540
ResAna1=320x180
ResAna2=480x270
ResAna3=640x360
ResAna4=720x404
ResAna5=852x480
VTag=DIVX
lavcopts=vcodec=mpeg4
moac=mp3lame
Format=avi -noodml
FileType=avi
ARate=48000
ABRate=128
MVolume=10
Quality=23
useMencoder=1
SubTitle=1
MaxVBitrate=3000

Hi,

I have implemented your advice in the ini file and I can get this to work, the only thing is, it will only work with 1 Pass. Is there a way that I can get it to use 3 Pass and still have the Forced Subtitles show?

Thank you in advance

Martin

remove the "%PASS%"

It woked with a 2 pass on the first chapter of 50 First dates.

While it displayed the forced subs only, it also displayed a "flash" of the previous non-forced subtitle, is there any way to fix?

fix for itouch 2nd gen

hey all, I've been going through all of the posts here on forced subtitles. I am NOT a tech head either, but I put together a conglomeration of different ideas to fix the devices.ini file and came up with one that worked!!

I used the above ini file (post 16) and my quicktime wouldn't read the .avi file that resulted. so I wanted to try to make one for the .mp4 format I messed around a while and got one to work.

I did defiance last night. It did just the forced subtitles, not the english of the whole movie, just as wanted.

I'm not sure if defiance is a 1 or a 2 on the subtitles category, but it is a new movie. and I haven't tried it with anything else yet,

but here's what I have. I am using a ipod touch, 2nd generation. It has the new iphone 3.0 software update. I am using version 1.2 of the clone dvd mobile as the 1.6.1 was giving me trouble. I am using 8.2 on itunes, and 7.5.5 on quicktime as the new 8.0 was also giving me trouble. I am marking the english box for subtitles when doing the converting (I copy with another program and have gotten rid of all the other stuff, leaving just forced subtitles and english.)

hope this helps, I just joined the forum yesterday.....

here's the ini file that I created thanks to all your ideas..... it played and then synced to the itouch via itunes with no problems
dan

[iPod Video - forced]
useMencoder=1
SubTitle=1
Res1=320x240
Res2=512x384
ResAna1=320x180
ResAna2=426x240
ResAna3=512x288
ARate=48000
ABRate=128
Format=lavf
lavfopts=format=mp4
lavcopts=aglobal=1:vglobal=1:vcodec=mpeg4:acodec=libfaac
FileType=mp4
Quality=23
iPodFix=0
MaxVBitrate=2500

Last edited:
hey all, I've been going through all of the posts here on forced subtitles. I am NOT a tech head either, but I put together a conglomeration of different ideas to fix the devices.ini file and came up with one that worked!!

I used the above ini file (post 16) and my quicktime wouldn't read the .avi file that resulted. so I wanted to try to make one for the .mp4 format I messed around a while and got one to work.

I did defiance last night. It did just the forced subtitles, not the english of the whole movie, just as wanted.

I'm not sure if defiance is a 1 or a 2 on the subtitles category, but it is a new movie. and I haven't tried it with anything else yet,

but here's what I have. I am using a ipod touch, 2nd generation. It has the new iphone 3.0 software update. I am using version 1.2 of the clone dvd mobile as the 1.6.1 was giving me trouble. I am using 8.2 on itunes, and 7.5.5 on quicktime as the new 8.0 was also giving me trouble. I am marking the english box for subtitles when doing the converting (I copy with another program and have gotten rid of all the other stuff, leaving just forced subtitles and english.)

hope this helps, I just joined the forum yesterday.....

here's the ini file that I created thanks to all your ideas..... it played and then synced to the itouch via itunes with no problems
dan

[iPod Video - forced]
useMencoder=1
SubTitle=1
Res1=320x240
Res2=512x384
ResAna1=320x180
ResAna2=426x240
ResAna3=512x288
ARate=48000
ABRate=128
Format=lavf
lavfopts=format=mp4
FileType=mp4
Quality=23
iPodFix=0
MaxVBitrate=2500
Please put your profile in code tags to avoid cut and paste problems with the way that the forum displays messages (note the extra space in lavcopts "l ibfaac" which will crash the program). Please try the profile below (modified for correct resolutions) and let us know if that works (1.6.1.0 doesn't like the forcedsubs option, so I can't try it myself):
Code:
[iPod Video - forced subtitles version 1.2.1.0 only]
useMencoder=1
SubTitle=1
Res1=320x240
Res2=480x320
Res3=512x384
ResAna1=320x180
ResAna2=480x272
ResAna3=512x288
ARate=48000
ABRate=128
Format=lavf
lavfopts=format=mp4
FileType=mp4
Quality=23
iPodFix=0
MaxVBitrate=2500

Last edited:
Hi,
thanks for the thought, I'm not sure where that space came from.

as I had said, I am NOT a techie, and have no idea what "code tags" is, much less how to make the profile in that code? Any ideas how I do that? I know I looked around for quite a while to try to find something that would work, and just made that hodpodge from ideas you all had, I certainly wouldn't have come up with all that myself.

The profile I posted worked perfectly for me. I ended up taking off the
%PASS% and then was able to do valkyrie (the 2nd movie with it) with 2 pass again with no problems and only the german showing as forced subtitles.

I also thought of adding the res3 to the profile, as it seems odd that it wasn't there, but when I went back and looked it is also missing on the original for the ipod in the devices.ini file, so I just left it out. Is it worth trying to redo the movie with that one change? Would it affect anything?

If you'll help me figure out how to post the code tag file I'll repost the one that I have now that you're able to do the 2 pass with (just the %PASS% missing, but is good for me to just be able to see it not find it if I had no idea what I was doing (as usual) :)

dan

p.s. I see your point, I went back into the other post to delete the space, and it wasn't there, it just shows on the screen that way.......

Last edited:
Back