• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Layer Breaks On Dual Layer DVD's

woodchuck91

Has anyone had any problems with layer breaks on copied dual layer dvd's. I'm using Verbatim and both my machines stop at the layer break. I then have to fast forward then resume play to get past it.

I use verbatim discs, and haven't had any problems. There's a short freeze of a couple seconds at the break, but then it continues.

I have used verbatim and other brands and have not had a problem. I use DVD Shrink (should I say that) and you can copy without the pause.:)

:cool:

I only use Memorex DVD+R DL discs and there is no noticeable layer break what so ever.

I have used verbatim and other brands and have not had a problem. I use DVD Shrink (should I say that) and you can copy without the pause.:)

:cool:

I stopped using DVD Shrink once I got an Up-Converting DVD Player. With full quality discs they look really great when Up-Converted to 720p or 1080i.

I also use Verbatim / Plextor 755SA/PioneerDVR 111D and Have no probs. The only problems I had were with memorex and the layer break when not using Clone DVD. All I ever burn with now is CloneDvd

Thanks for all the input, it sounds more like the problem is my Panasonic player.

Re: Layer Breaks bad

Has anyone had any problems with layer breaks on copied dual layer dvd's. I'm using Verbatim and both my machines stop at the layer break. I then have to fast forward then resume play to get past it.

Having similar problems with +R DL backups lately. Not sure whether its a media issue or burner gone bad... or something else.

I'm using a Memorex DVD16+/-DL4RW|ID2 JWS6 burner and RiData 8.5G 2.4x media. Used this setup for about a year reliably. Now, using CloneDVD2 and AnyDVD, most recent backups and repeat retries are bad, all around the chapter break (my quick test is to play the DVD a few seconds at each chapter till I glitch, freeze, or reach the end).

I'm starting to suspect bad media. Using the free Nero CD-DVD Speed tool I'm seeing lots of errors around the middle of each burn (chapter break).

One thing I'm starting to wonder about... are commercial DVD movies getting bigger, as in more data. I'm wondering if older (successful) burns were simply smaller files, that didn't hit more sensitive regions of the disc.

I'm still trying to figure this all out.

"what I was told"...

Having similar problems with +R DL backups lately. Not sure whether its a media issue or burner gone bad... or something else.

I'm using a Memorex DVD16+/-DL4RW|ID2 JWS6 burner and RiData 8.5G 2.4x media. Used this setup for about a year reliably. Now, using CloneDVD2 and AnyDVD, most recent backups and repeat retries are bad, all around the chapter break (my quick test is to play the DVD a few seconds at each chapter till I glitch, freeze, or reach the end).

I'm starting to suspect bad media. Using the free Nero CD-DVD Speed tool I'm seeing lots of errors around the middle of each burn (chapter break).

One thing I'm starting to wonder about... are commercial DVD movies getting bigger, as in more data. I'm wondering if older (successful) burns were simply smaller files, that didn't hit more sensitive regions of the disc.

I'm still trying to figure this all out.

....when I had playback feeze-up at layer change with +R DL Verbatim Media, I was told: it was typical of "plus R" (+R DL) media...and that "minus R" (-R DL) media did not have that problem... that make any sense??? anyone tried (or found) -R DL media?:confused:

Hello, I had similar Problems with the layer break, using anydvd and clonedvd. Everytime i made a double layer copy, the dvd stopped at the layer change, even on harddisk, not only on dvd.
I tried other programs for making copies, everytime the same result. I guess I know why. When you make a copy with clonedvd, clonedvd determins were the layer break at the copy will be. It won´t be at the same place as the original. This causes the stop. Don´t ask me why.
When you use clonecd to make a 1:1 copy of your original, everything works fine, because the layer break will be exact at the same position as the original. I tried it and it worked in 100% of the copies. Try it!! :)

Mike is correct, of all the programs I have, CloneCD is the only program that leaves the layer break alone (this can be checked with AnyDVD as it lists the layer break). I had similar issues until I used CloneCD.

I have been using 1click, anydvd, Sony brand disks for a little over 2 years. I have only had 2 times that I had trouble recording anything. I do not use dual layer disks even when recording movies that are on the dual layer disks. Keeps me from having to pay more for the dual layers. (I may be cheap... lol) I just rip the movie to the hard drive with anydvd first and then burn it to a single layer disk. It works flawlessly with no pauses because there are no layer breaks. I always copy the extras and menus also with no trouble.

Mike is correct, of all the programs I have, CloneCD is the only program that leaves the layer break alone (this can be checked with AnyDVD as it lists the layer break). I had similar issues until I used CloneCD.
I almost always use Nero with AnyDVD to make an exact copy and it leaves the layer break alone, must be why I have never had any issues either.

Getting back to "Layer Breaks on DUAL LAYER dvds"

I'm using a Memorex DVD16+/-DL4RW|ID2 JWS6 burner and RiData 8.5G 2.4x media.

... I'm still trying to figure this all out.

A ha! ... Got some more information here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Seems that the media I've been using is considered 3rd class (RitekD01) and is known to have problems around layer breaks. Holy smoke!
Ordering some Verbatim +R DLs right now.

OK, I tried it with clone cd and and I could not even get the copy to play, then realized I had an old version. Downloaded a new version and burned a copy. Works Great!!! Takes alot longer than clonedvd to burn a copy though. Thanks Mike.

I too have a Panasonic player that refuses to play Verbatim DL's. My Sony loves to playback Verbatims. Moral of this story - I will never buy another Panasonic:D

I too have a Panasonic player that refuses to play Verbatim DL's. My Sony loves to playback Verbatims. Moral of this story - I will never buy another Panasonic:D

I recently got a $50 Panasonic player that does Up-Conversion and it only plays single and dual layer copied DVDs. I have not had any problems and the Up-Conversion is great. Guess I just got lucky. But, it also looks good with my 42 inch Panasonic Plasma = )

For DL media I only use Verbatim DL media, with Panasonic dvd players including an upconverting one I never had a DL back up freeze, I have used 1Click, 1Click Pro, CloneDvd2 and CloneCd. For DL back ups CloneCd is my favorite its quick and easy and does it on the fly.

Back