• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Removing "Operation Prohibited" in BluRay Disks

preiner

Sorry if this is obvious to everyone except me...

The built-in ripper in AnyDVD HD works perfect, but it didnt seem to remove the operation prohibited bits (in fact, I cant even find where to set the option).

Is this possible?

Also, is firstplay supposed to start the movie, or is it usually used by the studios to FORCE you to watch 1/2 hr of commercials?

On all my rips, first play seems disabled.

Sorry if this is obvious to everyone except me...

The built-in ripper in AnyDVD HD works perfect, but it didnt seem to remove the operation prohibited bits (in fact, I cant even find where to set the option).

Is this possible?

Also, is firstplay supposed to start the movie, or is it usually used by the studios to FORCE you to watch 1/2 hr of commercials?

On all my rips, first play seems disabled.

AnyDVD can do all this magic with HD DVDs and standard DVDs, but currently not with Blu-ray.

AnyDVD can do all this magic with HD DVDs and standard DVDs, but currently not with Blu-ray.

That's not 100% accurate. On some of my ISO rips AnyDVD seems to have wiped out some of the prohibitions somehow. For instance, on an ISO of Ratatouille I can hit the menu button on my PowerDVD remote and skip the 10 previews and get straight to the menu. I can not, however, do that on the disc. So I'm not sure what the difference is but, you can try the ISO ripping thing and see if that removes the prohibitions.

That's not 100% accurate. On some of my ISO rips AnyDVD seems to have wiped out some of the prohibitions somehow. For instance, on an ISO of Ratatouille I can hit the menu button on my PowerDVD remote and skip the 10 previews and get straight to the menu. I can not, however, do that on the disc. So I'm not sure what the difference is but, you can try the ISO ripping thing and see if that removes the prohibitions.

Although I would love to take the credit for this, I don't think it is AnyDVD causing this. Could be a bug in PowerDVD when playing from ISOs (which PowerDVD sees as DVDs, not BD discs).

Although I would love to take the credit for this, I don't think it is AnyDVD causing this. Could be a bug in PowerDVD when playing from ISOs (which PowerDVD sees as DVDs, not BD discs).

That could be, as well. Maybe a possible route for exploitation. :)

PowerDVD when playing ISOs sees DVDs ...

Interesting, not to contradict, but I have noticed that when loading BD ISO's, I see the Blu-ray icon displayed on the PowerDVD time counter area, the same for HD-DVD's and (SD) DVD's, it would seem that PowerDVD can recognize the ISO disc format as it would with the original discs???

James, I've wondered about this too, and in a post before you seemed to imply (I don't wanna say downright said, cause I can't find the post right now) that it's gonna be impossible for blu-ray. Is it only currently impossible, or do you think it's gonna be too hard to even try, considering gains vs. effort? Just curious.

Last edited:
James, I've wondered about this too, and in a post before you seemed to imply (I don't wanna say downright said, cause I can't find the post right now) that it's gonna be impossible for blu-ray. Is it only currently impossible, or do you thing it's gonna be too hard to even try, considering gains vs. effort? Just curious.

You're referring to what James said about magic file replacement(tm) which is different than what we're talking about here. I'm not sure how the prohibitions in Blu-ray are done, but, if what James is saying about PowerDVD having a bug in that it "sees" a mounted Blu-ray image as a DVD, then there exists the possibility of exploitation of this. That also means that prohibitions are perhaps a flag that's being set somewhere. At the moment, I don't think the mechanism of how it works is fully understood. Certainly not by me anyway. :D I think for now they're probably hard at work on the BD+ stuff, but, hopefully once that's done maybe they'll have time to investigate this prohibition nonsense and maybe come up with a work around for it.

Last edited:
Here's James' post. He pretty much says that it can't be possible with blu-ray, which would be a bummer. That's why I was asking what he meant, or if his views have changed.

Here's James' post. He pretty much says that it can't be possible with blu-ray, which would be a bummer. That's why I was asking what he meant, or if his views have changed.

Never say never.... it is certainly possible for "simple" BD discs, but with Java discs it will be very difficult (close to "impossible") to find a "generic" method to disable UOPs.

Never say never.... it is certainly possible for "simple" BD discs, but with Java discs it will be very difficult (close to "impossible") to find a "generic" method to disable UOPs.

Which, unfortunately, more and more of them are starting to include java these days. That will definitely be another thorn in our side considering that Disney has taken to adding 10+ freaking previews to every new disc now. Some of them have been fairly good and only included 1-3 previews. I consider that decent. It would be better if I could just hit the menu button on my remote and call it good.

Thanks for the clarification. I've been kind of hating java, both HDi and BDJ. If I'm not mistaken, that's what prevents all HD-DVDs and some BDs from starting the movie where you left it, and make you eat again the stupid trailers and warning screens when you pop-in the disc to resume watching a movie, isn't it?

And also, I got a kind of related question. Why is it that some (all?) BD's let you just right-click and change languages/subs in the PowerDVD context menu, but not HD-DVD's. I don't know if it's Java-related, since I think Life of Brian has Java and it does allow me to do it.

And also, I got a kind of related question. Why is it that some (all?) BD's let you just right-click and change languages/subs in the PowerDVD context menu, but not HD-DVD's. I don't know if it's Java-related, since I think Life of Brian has Java and it does allow me to do it.

You can do that in Arcsoft TMT and Nero too I think with HD DVDs. So it has to be a PowerDVD restriction.

Back