• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Stuttering Playback from Blu-Ray + HD-DVD rips

gw007

Hi, first post here so please go easy on me and I am having similar problems to Xcel's post further down.

Pretty much all the rips I have done recently are stuttering on playback, trying to watch Superbad last night was terrible with bad stuttering (video only).

My setup is as follows -

Desktop PC running Vista x64 with LG HD-DVD/BR combi drive, where all the rips are done, then FTP'd to my server.

Server PC running Server 2003 with an 8Tb RAID array and 1Gbps network. All the rips are stored on here.

Media PC running Vista x86 with LG HD-DVD/BR combi drive, ATi HD2900XT, PowerDVD 3304 and 1Gbps network. Rips are played from a mapped drive on the server.

I have been looking at various options and changes and I am pretty sure that the media PC is powerful enough (according to the Cyberlink Advisor), the RAID array has a high throughput and the network connections should have enough bandwidth to stream the video.

Reading the other post, is there a known issue with ripping on one machine and playing it on another from a server? I cant use PowerDVD on my Vista x64 machine as it isnt supported and the video breaks up.

Discs played directly on the Media PC run pretty smoothly and just about to try playing some rips directly off a hard drive on the Media PC, but I am at a bit of a loss really... I havent done the mounting ISO's and all that just yet, as I am not sure it would be of any benefit.

Any suggestions?

I would suggest trying to find a copy of PowerDVD 3319a(you'll have to search the Net for it as we can't post links for it) and see if that helps. It should be able to play most of your discs including BD+ protected titles quite well. Also, make sure your video and sound (yes, sound!) drivers are up to date on your playback machine.

Desktop PC running Vista x64 with LG HD-DVD/BR combi drive, where all the rips are done, then FTP'd to my server.

Server PC running Server 2003 with an 8Tb RAID array and 1Gbps network. All the rips are stored on here.

Media PC running Vista x86 with LG HD-DVD/BR combi drive, ATi HD2900XT, PowerDVD 3304 and 1Gbps network. Rips are played from a mapped drive on the server.

What CPUs?
but
I'm pretty sure it will be a network problem, the speed of the network can be a lot slower than you expect.
(I think you mean PDVD 3104 ... that's the best one to use IMHO)

Last edited:
If it is the same problem that I am having then it is not the network. Rip a disc directly to the local hard drive or copy it from the server and then play it.

The problem is in the rip itself. The stutters happen in the exact same spot on playback everytime, it is not network or bus congestion. Nor is it a problem with PDVD because I have used quite a few versions and the stutters are still in the same spot.

I am really discouraged that you are having this problem with the LG Combo Drive. I was hoping that it may solve my problems. Like I said in my thread earlier, the only box I could rip on was my old server running XP. I do not want to have build a XP box just to rip HD discs.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm using the LG combo drive on my Vista HTPC and it rips great. Also, a new version of ImgBurn has been released that I recommend everyone upgrade to. It's got a change list longer than this thread. :D But it now supports UDF 2.5/2.6 in ISO creation.

I tried ripping to iso using ImgBurn and I am still getting the same stutter.

I also tried shutting down a bunch of services and programs running in the backround (Anti-virus, Windows defender, itunes services etc.) No Luck

check cpu usage and check to see if it peaks where the stutter is

Nothing against imgburn, but I switched to UltraISO and am getting clean rips so far. YMMV of course.

The stutters do seem to happen during peaks, but those peaks are nowhere near 100%. This is not a problem with playback/PDVD beacuse all the rips that were done on my old XP box (30 or so) are perfect. I have tried re-ripping some of the discs that I had already ripped on the old machine and the new rips stutter.

Good News!! I received the LG Combo Drive from my wife for my B-day and now everything works great. I do not think that the problem was with the Xbox drive itself. I think it was the USB interface that was giving me problems. Maybe some poor vista drivers???

Anyway, thank you for all of your help.

Back