• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Any chnce we'll see a Mac Version of AnyDVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomr

I was a longtime user of AnyDVD and CloneDVD for years, using it to rip copies of my kid's legally purchased DVDs to my hard drive and then burn them to recordable DVDs for my autistic daughter, who tends to destroy them often. It has saved us lots of aggravation and expense.

Unfortunately circumstances required we switch to a Mac environment, so outside of virtualization software we cannot use AnyDVD anymore. :(

My question is: would you consider making a native version of AnyDVD for the Mac OS? Let me tell you, with the only viable solution being "Mac the Ripper", and it's ludicrous and convoluted super-double-secret-squirrel method of purchase and delivery, the Mac platform is badly in need of a well supported and delivered product like AnyDVD. Seriously, there is a market you are missing out on there. I would have no problem paying over $100 USD for AnyDVD/CloneDVD on the Mac side. I'm sure many others would also love to see that program, as Mac the Ripper requires a master's degree in espionage to get a working copy... and it's no longer free.

Please consider developing a Mac version, I am sure it would be very successful.

Thanks. I missed that, but for the record did scan the FAQs and did a search for "Mac" and other terms prior to posting. No results.

That is unfortunate. There is a desperate need for such a program out there that is available in a professional manner. I guess I can only hope someone else will fill the need...

I was a longtime user of AnyDVD and CloneDVD for years, using it to rip copies of my kid's legally purchased DVDs to my hard drive and then burn them to recordable DVDs for my autistic daughter, who tends to destroy them often. It has saved us lots of aggravation and expense.

Unfortunately circumstances required we switch to a Mac environment, so outside of virtualization software we cannot use AnyDVD anymore. :(

My question is: would you consider making a native version of AnyDVD for the Mac OS? Let me tell you, with the only viable solution being "Mac the Ripper", and it's ludicrous and convoluted super-double-secret-squirrel method of purchase and delivery, the Mac platform is badly in need of a well supported and delivered product like AnyDVD. Seriously, there is a market you are missing out on there. I would have no problem paying over $100 USD for AnyDVD/CloneDVD on the Mac side. I'm sure many others would also love to see that program, as Mac the Ripper requires a master's degree in espionage to get a working copy... and it's no longer free.

Please consider developing a Mac version, I am sure it would be very successful.

Dual boot with XP, problem solved. :rock::rock:

Here is what AnyDVD looks like on a mac os x :D

Attachments

• MacOSanyDVD.JPG
    MacOSanyDVD.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited by a moderator:
Dual boot with XP, problem solved. :rock::rock:
Let' see...

AnyDVD- $ 72.00
Parallels- $ 80.00
Windows XP- $ 200.00

Total- $ 352.00

or

Mac the Ripper- $ 50 "gift"

That's pretty much a no brainer, even if I much prefer AnyDVD. I suppose I could use Leopard's "Boot Camp" and save the $80.00 for Parallels, but then I'd have to reboot every time I wanted to rip a DVD, and I'm still at $272.00. No thanks.

I can understand the lack of appeal in supporting the Mac platform, as although it's growing it's still a tiny 6% of all personal computers. That doesn't stop me from wishing your excellent programs were available for the Mac OS.

Thanks for the info.

That's your choice and no one here said to get a mac either.

Let' see...

AnyDVD- $ 72.00
Parallels- $ 80.00
Windows XP- $ 200.00

Total- $ 352.00

or

That's pretty much a no brainer, even if I much prefer AnyDVD. I suppose I could use Leopard's "Boot Camp" and save the $80.00 for Parallels, but then I'd have to reboot every time I wanted to rip a DVD, and I'm still at $272.00. No thanks.

I can understand the lack of appeal in supporting the Mac platform, as although it's growing it's still a tiny 6% of all personal computers. That doesn't stop me from wishing your excellent programs were available for the Mac OS.

Thanks for the info.
Well your totals don't really add up. Let's see, first off you would buy AnyDvd anyway, and from your fist post you made it sound like you already had it, but I am guessing that now you really don't. Dual boot you don't need "parallels" so that's out and who in their right mind would actually pay 200 beans for XP?? You had a windows systems at one time, did you not have AnyDvd at that time, plus XP? Plus you already said you pay 100 beans for AnyDvd for a Mac version. Me smells something fishy here and it's not just the Mac??!!?! come on, a reboot once in awhile to rip some CD's, big deal...and I bet you would end up running XP most of the time anyway. So if you really look at it you would be money ahead to dual boot. :rock:

Talking about Mac the Ripper - it says, it uses libdvdread & libdvdcss, both licensed under GPL.
Where can I download the full source code for Mac the Ripper (as required by the GPL)?

Talking about Mac the Ripper - it says, it uses libdvdread & libdvdcss, both licensed under GPL.
Where can I download the full source code for Mac the Ripper (as required by the GPL)?

i don't think that's quite right - its not changing libdvd*, its just linking with them i guess. the gpl doesn't require you to release the full source of your app, just the bits of gpl code you change.

otherwise, can i have the source code to clonedvd mobile please, as you use mencoder :rock:

i don't think that's quite right - its not changing libdvd*, its just linking with them i guess. the gpl doesn't require you to release the full source of your app, just the bits of gpl code you change.
GPL certainly does. If you use a library containing GPL code, the *whole* application must be released under GPL (LGPL doesn't)

otherwise, can i have the source code to clonedvd mobile please, as you use mencoder :rock:
CloneDVD mobile isn't linked against anything GPLish (mencoder.exe is a standlone executable and is not modified).
That's why we do *not* use libavcodec or libavformat libraries like others (which would result in the requirement to release the source code).
Where is the DVDFab source code?

GPL requires you to release the source code of your application if it links to GPL licensed libraries.

CloneDVD mobil doesn't link to libraries, it runs the self contained application mencoder.exe.
And that is simply for exactly that reason ;)

GPL requires you to release the source code of your application if it links to GPL licensed libraries.

CloneDVD mobil doesn't link to libraries, it runs the self contained application mencoder.exe.
And that is simply for exactly that reason ;)

James, lately we're wasting a lot of time performing redundant tasks, don't you think? :)

James, lately we're wasting a lot of time performing redundant tasks, don't you think? :)

As is the original author of the thread.....

Seeing as how he already owns the solution to his question.

Slysoft doesn't need to have separate versions of the program... no matter what OS you use, you can use other OSes in a dual boot configuration. You already own one license of XP when you had the older machine, and a license for AnyDVD... just dual boot your Mac and be done with it. It takes all but two minutes to restart a machine... I know in computer terms that may seem like a millenium, but I'm sure you could find something to do while it's booting to XP.

As is the original author of the thread.....

Seeing as how he already owns the solution to his question.

Slysoft doesn't need to have separate versions of the program... no matter what OS you use, you can use other OSes in a dual boot configuration. You already own one license of XP when you had the older machine, and a license for AnyDVD... just dual boot your Mac and be done with it. It takes all but two minutes to restart a machine... I know in computer terms that may seem like a millenium, but I'm sure you could find something to do while it's booting to XP.

:bang::bang::bang::bang:

Alright, the original question was answered already. I fail to see how keeping this thread open will be useful except to promote flaming.

Thread closed. :policeman:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back