• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Play a DVD over LAN?

turnstyle

Hi all,

I have a "slim" laptop without an optical drive, and I'd like to be able to play DVDs over my network. I've put the DVD in another PC, shared the drive, and mapped it on the laptop -- but when I try to play nothing happens.

I gather this is because of copy protection.

I added AnyDVD (to the system with the DVD) and tried again -- but still no go.

Is there a way to put a DVD into 'PC-1' and play it from 'PC-2'?

THANKS, -Scott

Not necessarily

And if the unprotected backup doesn't play without Anydvd installed the issue is altogether unrelated to Anydvd. The problem is with your setup.

Last edited:
And if the doesn't play without Anydvd installed the issue is altogether unrelated to Anydvd. The problem is with your setup.

Thanks, but I'm not quite sure I follow.

Let me explain what I tried at first:

1) I put my DVD into the DVD drive on "PC-1"
2) I shared that DVD drive
3) On "PC-2" I mapped the shared DVD drive to a letter

Then I just tried to play the DVD from there -- that doesn't seem to work, and so I'm looking for a way to get it going -- any tips?

thanks! -Scott

Thread moved to "Third Party Products"?

Hi mods -- just curious: why was this thread moved to "Third Party Products"?

I had posted it to the AnyDVD forum, isn't that where it should go? (as the question is whther I can use AnyDVD to enable network playback...)

thanks, -Scott

Then I just tried to play the DVD from there -- that doesn't seem to work

That's not very descriptive. What happens?

Does PC-2 contain dvd playback software? If so are you attempting to run it first--then select the networked drive letter as the source?

bandwidth is not there

if you're using a regular lan the bandwidth will not support it....you need a firewire network or better

I successfully play VOBs over my GB LAN, no FireWire required.

To the OP, here's how I do it.

Rip to the hard drive using AnyDVD.

Create an ISO of the ripped VIDEO_TS folder (I use Nero Buring ROM, any burning program should be able to do this).

Put the ISO on a share on the server.

Mount the ISO as a drive letter on your player PC (I use Nero ImageDrive for this, I think there are other options such as daemon tools).

If auto-play is enabled on your system the OS should offer to play the DVD for you (assuming you have DVD player software installed).

Depending on your player software you may not need to make an ISO, you may be able to point your player straight at the VIDEO_TS folder.

Mike

Hi all, it's not a bandwidth issue (I have enough bandwidth) -- it has to do with the copy protection on a DVD.

If you try it, you'll see what I mean -- if you put a commercial DVD into a drive on one PC, and then share that drive, and then map that share to a drive letter on another PC, you won't be able to play the DVD on the second PC.

The reason that I'm here is that somebody told me that AnyDVD might strip the protection from a DVD "on the fly" -- in other words, that it would make the DVD seem to be unprotected, and therefore playable over the network.

But when I tried it, it didn't seem to help.

I do know that I can rip and play that -- but I was hoping to avoid that step -- and just play the DVD over the network -- I'm not planning on archiving the DVDs on the drive (too much space) and so ripping seems an extra step.

I was hoping to find a way to simply put a DVD in one PC and play it from another...

-Scott

The reason that I'm here is that somebody told me that AnyDVD might strip the protection from a DVD "on the fly" -- in other words, that it would make the DVD seem to be unprotected, and therefore playable over the network.

I may have misunderstood your initial post. But if you take a backup disc that you've made that contains no protection (let's remove the original dvd from this equation) and play it, does it play fine over your network? If not, your problem lies elsewhere.

Yes -- I can play an unprotected DVD over the network (in fact, I just did).

Same setup:
1) put DVD into the optical drive on PC-1 (this time, an unprotected DVD)
2) share that drive
3) map the share to a drive letter on PC-2
4) play the mapped share from PC-2

This worked fine with the unprotected DVD -- but nothing happens when I do the same with a commercial DVD -- and that's why I came here, as I thought AnyDVD would make the same procedure work with commercial DVDs too.

Needless to say, it would be great if I could get this to work.

-Scott

Same setup:
2) share that drive

This worked fine with the unprotected DVD --

Alright, my apologies. I misunderstood your initial post. I'll move this thread back to the Anydvd forum.

Are you testing with the protected original disc you made an unprotected backup of?
If not, you should be.

What is the network drive letter? What is the original drive letter?

a) Ensure Anydvd is running.
b) Put the problematic original disc in your optical drive/reader. Wait for Anydvd to scan the disc.
c) Right click the red fox icon on your toolbar.
d) Select "Create Logfile"
e) Wait for Anydvd to create a log file.
f) A pop-up screen will appear. Take note of the location where Anydvd created the logfile and the logfile's name. Click "ok".
g) Go to your My Documents folder
h) You will see a zip file called "Anydvd_Info_titleofmydisc.zip" (or something similar; see step f)
i) When replying or posting in the Slysoft forums, look for the icon that looks like
attach.gif

j) If you don't see that paperclip icon, click the "go advanced" button. You should see that icon now. Click the paperclip.
k) A small pop-up screen should appear (if it doesn't please ensure your browser is enabled to allow pop-ups from the Slysoft forums)
l) Click the "Browse" button, and locate and select the .zip file you created.
m) click "upload"

Last edited:
Yes -- I can play an unprotected DVD over the network (in fact, I just did).

Same setup:
2) share that drive

This worked fine with the unprotected DVD -- but nothing happens when I do the same with a commercial DVD -- and that's why I came here, as I thought AnyDVD would make the same procedure work with commercial DVDs too.

Needless to say, it would be great if I could get this to work.

-Scott

I think the issue is that AnyDVD will only recognize physical drives thus your having problems being able to mount and play a shared CDROM device. I think this is unrelated to AnyDVD if I've read this forum correctly because of this.

Edit - I'm wrong about the below, so ignore it :)

It sounds to me like "LowerFilters" don't get applied to optical drives via network TCP/IP; it must only work for the respective bus that the optical drive is on (IDE/SATA/SCSI).

That's just my guess, but if that's correct, than there's no way to get it to work, as AnyDVD works via the "LowerFilters" Windows feature.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have a "slim" laptop without an optical drive, and I'd like to be able to play DVDs over my network. I've put the DVD in another PC, shared the drive, and mapped it on the laptop -- but when I try to play nothing happens.

I added AnyDVD (to the system with the DVD) and tried again -- but still no go.

Is there a way to put a DVD into 'PC-1' and play it from 'PC-2'?

THANKS, -Scott
AnyDVD must be running on the machine, where the DVD is inserted, in your case not on the Laptop.

Should work perfectly fine, I do this all the time.

Really? Can anybody here give it a try?

All you need is 2 PCs on a local network, and then:

1) on PC-1 (with an optical drive and AnyDVD installed), insert a regular protected DVD

2) set the DVD drive as a network share

3) on PC-2, map the share to a drive letter, and use your DVD player app to play from that mapped drive.

Does that work for you? (when I try, nothing happens)

Thanks for all the comments! -Scott

Scott,

If you don't answer my questions and follow the steps I posted, I can't try to help you.

I think the issue is that AnyDVD will only recognize physical drives thus your having problems being able to mount and play a shared CDROM device. I think this is unrelated to AnyDVD if I've read this forum correctly because of this.

No. It works. You can have Anydvd running on the system with the dvd, then you can copy unprotected files, if you want, over the network. I've done that before.

Back