• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Maybe you should not upgrade to Vista

and I suppose theres no way to turn big brother off.... humm getting to like xp more and more :D

If you're a pc gamer and want directx 10 for future graphic improvements, then there's no choice: you have to upgrade to Vista. :(

What a bunch of crap. So why even have a license? What happened to having a PC(Personal Computer)

If you're a pc gamer and want directx 10 for future graphic improvements, then there's no choice: you have to upgrade to Vista. :(

No, you don't. Don't buy the game. It is very simple. Buy a different game instead.
The manufacturer of the game sitting on the shelves will react, you can count on this. :agree:

EDIT:
Yes folks, you can vote with your purse. It is all about money. If you see a movie on BR you want on HD DVD - write the studio, that they lost a sale. (Same the other way round).
If you see a game you want to buy, but which requires Vista: Write the manufacturer, that they lost a sale.
If you see a shareware program requiring activation: Write the author, that he lost a sale.
If you just buy everything, even if you are forced to do things you actually don't like, you are a stupid lemming who doesn't deserve it better.

Last edited:
No, you don't. Don't buy the game. It is very simple. Buy a different game instead.
The manufacturer of the game sitting on the shelves will react, you can count on this. :agree:

Microsoft isn't going to support directx 10 for XP, which sucks. This is the problem. If they offered
directx 10 for windows xp, I wouldn't switch. Or better yet, if Microsoft got rid of all the DRM and other nonsense
for Vista, I would want to switch.

If you see a game you want to buy, but which requires Vista: Write the manufacturer, that they lost a sale.

It's not that the games won't work in XP. It's that they won't look as good, because XP doesn't support directX 10.
I don't like what Microsoft is doing anymore than you do. But the industry isn't giving hardcore PC gamers any alternative if they want better graphics.
:(

If you want the better graphics, there's no choice. Most developers will be producing games that will work for both directx 9 and 10. But the visual improvements are only going to be available for directx 10 with directx 10 supported video cards.

These are directx 10 screenshots (seriously, take a look at the
pics for Flight Simulator X and Alan Wake):

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1010840&postcount=1

Why would I want to play inferior directx 9 versions of these games?
No console is going to touch what directx 10 graphics can do for awhile
either.

This is from the Senior Editor of PC Gaming Magazine, which is probably the most
influential PC Gaming magazine in North America:

from http://pcgamer.com/

1/24/07 - More praise for DX10

By Logan Decker, Senior Editor

If you're among the stoic and curmudgeonly crowd that's still not impressed with some of the DirectX 10 screenshots that have been making the rounds on the internet, well, then to hell with you. But I'll concede this: DirectX 10 has to be seen in action to be really appreciated.

Take motion blur, for instance, an effect facilitated by DX10 that's admittedly tough to work up a boner over. After enjoying a hands-on session with a level from Crysis, I'm convinced.

Slight motion blur is applied whenever you're in motion (including when you throw an object or get whacked in the head), and increases in intensity the faster you move (and can obscure almost everything when you're running at top speed in your "Nano Muscle" suit).

It doesn't sound like much because motion blur is intrinsic to our natural vision; we don't notice it because we're so used to it. Crysis mimics this natural blur to spectacular effect, and when I recently played Far Cry and Prey while benchmarking today, I noticed that movement inside these games appeared less realistic, flat, and, paradoxically, static, now that I've come to expect a game to show me images that more closely resemble how I see the real world.

I spent $5000 getting my eyes fixed with Lasik surgery. $600 for a DirectX 10 video card and $50 for Crysis to shoot down a helicopter and watch it streak to the ground before detonating into a ball of flames, smoke, and shrapnel? Sounds like a good deal to me."

James, it's just a bad situation right now for PC Gamers who hate DRM. None of us want Vista. We want the improved graphics that are offered by Directx 10.

Last edited:
Microsoft isn't going to support directx 10 for XP, which sucks. This is the problem. If they offered
directx 10 for windows xp, I wouldn't switch. Or better yet, if Microsoft got rid of all the DRM and other nonsense
for Vista, I would want to switch.

If you want the better graphics, there's no choice. Most developers will be producing games that will work for both directx 9 and 10. But the visual improvements are only going to be available for directx 10 with directx 10 supported video cards.
You should be aware that there is no real technical reason for DX10 not running under XP or Windows 2000.
Microsoft doesn't *want* this, because they *want* you to buy Vista.
If you do, they have succeeded. If nobody does, the software publishers will beat Microsoft long and hard to release DX10 for XP.

Okay, I am living in a dream world... :eek:

I bought Vista the first day it hit the stores. No problems on it, works good. Slysoft products have no problems.

You should be aware that there is no real technical reason for DX10 not running under XP or Windows 2000.
Microsoft doesn't *want* this, because they *want* you to buy Vista.
If you do, they have succeeded. If nobody does, the software publishers will beat Microsoft long and hard to release DX10 for XP.

I agree with everything you wrote here. I am very upset Microsoft won't release directx 10 for XP. But I'm just one guy.

And there are a lot of lemmings out there. ;) So what's one guy against all the lemmings and Microsoft going to accomplish?

I haven't moved to Vista yet, for most of the reasons mentioned. But at some point, I think I probably will, unless someone
gets directx 10 to work with XP. Maybe that someone could be James. ;)

Last edited:
It sounds like if you knock out the use a windows defender and other MS stuff that you can get free IE antivirus ect... That it will still leave a string to be seen by MS? Meaning backing up a movie? Am I wrong here? I have no use for games but do want to see HD content in it's perspective quality picture, I mean I know anydvd hd will knock the needed hardware out but still. Since the fine print of their eula or whatever you call it. It seems that they should of added that if you want to watch HD content movies then the only way is vista, might as well dropped that bomb too. I know most of this thread is about gamers but I'm wanting to see and hear more from you on HD content reguardless if you have anydvd or anydvd hd on your PC. Will there be a degrade if you don't use vista and D10 with the appropiate other hardware?

I'm wanting to see and hear more from you on HD content reguardless if you have anydvd or anydvd hd on your PC. Will there be a degrade if you don't use vista and D10 with the appropiate other hardware?

If you have an HTPC you'll want to stick with XP due to the capacity to use Reclock (and possibly an issue with Vista and HDCP compliance that Vista strictly enforces); I suspect Reclock is mostly an issue for PAL playback. The point I made about DirectX 10 really only has bearing on games, not HD DVD. Basically, Vista is just going to make a lot of people's lives more difficult, including James'.

The only directX 10 video card on the market right now worth looking at is the Nvidia based 8800 series, but, of course, both ATI and Nvidia will be producing other stuff this year.

Last edited:
This is what is going on in my head. I'm building a new PC with all the hardware requirments to play if wanted HD movies be it BD or HD-DVD. Will I be able to do so and still run just XP just fine or is there going to be a degrading issue due to not using Vista?

Also I'm in the USA so PAL is no use to me.

This is what is going on in my head. I'm building a new PC with all the hardware requirments to play if wanted HD movies be it BD or HD-DVD. Will I be able to do so and still run just XP just fine

I can't say for sure about BD, but I believe so, yes. James may have a better answer for you.

or is there going to be a degrading issue due to not using Vista?

Not that I'm aware of. If you're buying HDCP compliant monitors and video cards, then you should be able to use Vista without issue as well.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "degrading issue".

I can't say for sure about BD, but I believe so, yes. James may have a better answer for you.

Not that I'm aware of. If you're buying HDCP compliant monitors and video cards, then you should be able to use Vista without issue as well.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "degrading issue".

What I mean by degrading issues is if I buy all the compliant hardware to watch HD content on my PC which really would be very rare will there be a degrade in the quality of sound and picture if I was to not own anydvd hd and not use Vista? Yes I do own but trying to gain info on this for me as well as if there is any other curious user wanting to know. Another words will there be a quality issue if I was to have all the compliant hardware and use XP Pro?

What I mean by degrading issues is if I buy all the compliant hardware to watch HD content on my PC which really would be very rare will there be a degrade in the quality of sound and picture if I was to not own anydvd hd and not use Vista?

No. Anydvd Hd will not improve sound or picture quality--and neither will Vista (for movies).

I thought you were one that could answer. Thanks

Well, there's a new audio stack in Vista, but my impression is that, as always, you're limited by your source material and your hardware.

visit http://www.dasmirnov.net/blog/2006/09/04/windows_vista_improvements_audio_process

This to me is not actually improving the sound quality. It's software processing (like what soundblaster does with its sound control panel/css stuff).

I sincerely doubt you'd be losing out on picture quality or audio quality. But James or someone else may be able to answer your question better than I can.

Last edited:
Back