• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Will it RIP HP Goblet of Fire

t3knokat

I want to rip this BDR (and others) so that I can watch it on my PC without HDMI (which I don't have). I tried DVDFabHD latest and it behaves as if the disc is not even there. I have an LG BD/HD drive.

So, before I spring for AnyDVD, can someone confirm that this will work?

I want to rip this BDR (and others) so that I can watch it on my PC without HDMI (which I don't have). I tried DVDFabHD latest and it behaves as if the disc is not even there. I have an LG BD/HD drive.

Anydvd HD has a free 21 day trial. Why not try it?

AnyDVD is the only program available supporting MKBv4 protected discs, so yes, it'll work. And you don't even need to rip the disc in the first place. ;)

And you don't even need to rip the disc in the first place. ;)

Ok, please elaborate. Also, I did rip it seemingly successfully, but playing back I get very significant stuttering on my 2.8Mhz Quad-Core2. Can you explain why?

what graphics card do you have? and did you have Anydvd HD running when you ripped it. Also what are you using to playback the film? I can play my HP back ups with no problems on my 2.16 C2D laptop

I have an nVidia GeForce 6200 Turbo. I used AnyDVD HD to rip the disc, and I tried playing with Cyberpower and Nero. Both show the same symptoms.

Thanks for your help...

I have an nVidia GeForce 6200 Turbo. I used AnyDVD HD to rip the disc, and I tried playing with Cyberpower and Nero. Both show the same symptoms.

Thanks for your help...

That's a seriously under-powered video card considering your CPU setup. I think that, in itself, is a reason for stuttering.

Of course, I can't test it, myself. I do have a NVIDIA 6200 OC and I've always thought it would simply choke on attempting HD/BD playback.

Well I agree it's a bit low-end for a Quad-core, but I don't do gaming, so it seemed an ok choice at the time. It should certainly beat any Laptop video, and Adbear says he plays it on a C2D laptop...

my laptop has a 7900GTX with 512mb ram, which is way better than a 6200. What you should do is check the cpu usage whilst watching the films, that will tell you if it's peaking and if it is you'll need a new Graphics card

Nope. CPU usage is at 9% or so. I think it's something about the RIP itself.

I've been trying to play the disc direct from the drive, but it's now locking up and crashing to a blue screen when I try that. I guess I'm back here: :bang:

Attachments

• CPU.jpg
    CPU.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 5
Well I agree it's a bit low-end for a Quad-core, but I don't do gaming, so it seemed an ok choice at the time. It should certainly beat any Laptop video, and Adbear says he plays it on a C2D laptop...

If you're not a gamer, then I suggest you do a cheap upgrade to something like a Radeon 2600Pro HD (should be around 50-60 USD, I guess).
These cards offer serious HD hardware acceleration and then PowerDVD should play your movies with less than 10% CPU usage.

Also, with AnyDVD HD there is no need for ripping, if you just want to play w/o HDCP equipment.
AnyDVD HD makes the disc in the drive appear not to be encrypted (it decrypts on-the-fly), so players will see no requirement to demand HDCP equipment.
Also this is the reason why you can "rip" the contents of a disc by simply using xcopy or the Windows Explorer, while AnyDVD HD is running in the background.

Nope. CPU usage is at 9% or so. I think it's something about the RIP itself.

I've been trying to play the disc direct from the drive, but it's now locking up and crashing to a blue screen when I try that. I guess I'm back here: :bang:

What does the blue screen say? (in the upper left corner and does it mention a specific driver?)

Ok, please elaborate. Also, I did rip it seemingly successfully, but playing back I get very significant stuttering on my 2.8Mhz Quad-Core2. Can you explain why?
I'm sure I read a forum post somewhere that indicated a problem with quad cores and playback. IIRC the temporary solution was to disable 2 of the cores.

Is this something you can try easily?

Also, I notice you have quite an old graphics card. I didn't think PowerDVD supported anything older than a 7600, but maybe it's not a hard and fast rule. However, the reason I mention it is that the latest PowerDVD versions force hardware acceleration on and it may be somehow conflicting with the older card and drivers. PowerDVD seems to be written with the latest directx10 GPUs and Vista in mind: whilst it still works in XP, it is more problematic to get good results.

With your very powerful CPU, you would be able to play all HD material in software only, but to do this you would need to downgrade to PowerDVD 7.3.2911 as that is the last version that permitted turning hardware acceleration on and off. I run an 8600GT under XP with PowerDVD in software mode if I can as it gives a better PQ than hardware mode: consequently I have to use v2911. This version is not without its problems as navigation is an issue on some HD-DVD titles.

With your very powerful CPU, you would be able to play all HD material in software only, but to do this you would need to downgrade to PowerDVD 7.3.2911 as that is the last version that permitted turning hardware acceleration on and off. I run an 8600GT under XP with PowerDVD in software mode if I can as it gives a better PQ than hardware mode: consequently I have to use v2911. This version is not without its problems as navigation is an issue on some HD-DVD titles.

3319a allows you to enable hardware acceleration as well.

with 3319a the hardware accel is always on whether you have the box ticked or not.
Also with such an old Graphics card I'd expect CPU usage to be much higher as your card doesn't really accelerate anything other than possibly mpeg2

OK, so the same jumpiness (stuttering is not quite right -- it's more like a hop-skip one step forward two steps back) happens even after I uninstall AnyDVD. I'd say that's conclusive and proves it has nothing to do with AnyDVD :D

So I guess I need a new graphics adapter. Recommendations?

So I guess I need a new graphics adapter. Recommendations?

See post # 12.

If you don't care about 1080/24 then Nvidia 8600 is a very good choice -- at 1080/24 you will get jerky playback due to buggy drivers, at least I an many users on AVSForum do :( .

See post # 12.

If you don't care about 1080/24 then Nvidia 8600 is a very good choice -- at 1080/24 you will get jerky playback due to buggy drivers, at least I an many users on AVSForum do :( .

I would goto avsforums.com for this. There is a few real experts on how to set up your HTPC and hardware. Trust me, I used his advice and my htpc rocks. ATI is the best card out there for HD playback. Geforce is working on something but it will not be released for another month I believe. There is also another Northbridge chip coming out for ATI and it is supposed to give great HD playback and some more audio options.

Like I said goto that site it rocks. I have no problems playing any of the harry potter movies in blu-ray or hd-dvd.

See post # 12.

Is it buggy drivers, or PowerDVD decoding everything as 30fps?

I notice the HD-DVD titles I play with IME have a 1080p24 main video track, but a 480p30 IME video track. PowerDVD presumably would have to output both at 30fps for consistency and this would presumably result in jerky playback if you output at 1080p24. I haven't seen an IVTC option in PowerDVD to force everything to 24fps, so unless PowerDVD is very smart, I expect it applies pulldown and outputs everything as 30fps regardless, for simplicity. Maybe the only thing it will do is de-interlace 60i source to 30fps.

Back