• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Dvd-5

Tommy

Should you always use DVD-5 when copying a movie? I noticed if I click on DVD+/-R I get a higher quality. Which should I use? Any help would be appreciated.

Tom:clap:

Should you always use DVD-5 when copying a movie? I noticed if I click on DVD+/-R I get a higher quality. Which should I use? Any help would be appreciated.

If you are using single layer blank discs (4.7 GB), then you should select "dvd-5".

If you use Verbatim +R Double Layer blank discs (made in Singapore) or MAM-A 8x +R DL discs, which are 8.5GB, then you select "dvd+/- R DL" near the quality bar in Clonedvd.

Tom, if you think you're going to need dual layer disks, Sam's Club sells Verbatim 50 pack spindle for $70. That's the best price I've seen. This is assuming you are in the U.S.

I've found that a lot of movies, big epic movies like Lord of the Rings and such, you need dual layer. Some movies fit fine on DVD-5 (4.7GB) disks. I get those at Sam's also...100pk Verbatim DVD-R for $30.

I've found that when you try to shrink them to DVD-R, down to 75-80% look fine on a laptop or regular TV, on a big screen or HDTV I don't know.

If you don't care about previews, behind the scenes and stuff like that, you can choose the just copy the movie option in CloneDVD and that will save some space and avoid overcompression. It's all preference.

Tom, if you think you're going to need dual layer disks

By the way,

dual = -R DL

double = +R DL

dual = fairly useless disc format

Now you know more than most salespeople that try to sell me blank media. :)

yes, the Verbatim "DL" are DVD+R DL...I use the term dual layer and double layer interchangeably but I guess that's wrong to do.

The Verbatim 4.7GB DVD-R and Verbatim 8.5GB DVD+R DL spindles that I buy at Sam's work out to be 30 cents per DVD-R and about $1.40 per DVD+R DL. Anyone who knows where I can get Verbatim disks cheaper than that, please post...especially DL because they are expensive.

The Verbatim disk work really well, I haven't had but one or two ever fail and the backups look great.

I have been using memorex 8X DVD+R DL andf have many bad copies. movies lock up. Has anyone else had the same problem?. If not what brand are you using?

I have been using memorex 8X DVD+R DL andf have many bad copies. movies lock up. Has anyone else had the same problem?. If not what brand are you using?

Many many many people will bluntly tell you that Memorex blank media is garbage. Unfortunately, it's not all that surprising that you have many bad copies.

Last edited:
What brand of dual do you prefer? I have used Sony -R for single and it has worked well.

What brand of dual do you prefer? I have used Sony -R for single and it has worked well.

Sony is considered alright. Nothing special from what I've read. I'm definitely not an expert.

Check Webslinger's post in the CD/DVD Blanks forum here.

Back