• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Recommendations for SATA external enclosure

cdhart_33

I just purchased a Samsung SH-S203B DVD burner, I need to use this externally and I am having trouble finding an external enclosure with a SATA interface instead of an IDE interface. Is there any recommendations on where I might can find this? I have tried newegg and I have found a couple, but the reviews are not so great.
Thanks!

You might be better off using a SATA to IDE adapter and get a USB or Firewire IDE enclosure. You won't suffer any performance hit, because SATA optical drives don't deliver any better performance than IDE drives anyway.

I've got 20 optical drives connected to my system. There's a combination of IDE, SATA, eSATA, USB and Firewire drives and my fastest reader is an IDE drive (Optiarc 7170A) and my fastest burner is also IDE (LG GSA-H55N). The Samsung SH-S203B is a very good drive, but you'll be fine with the adapter and a USB/Firewire enclosure.

The best option is to convert your SATA connection to an eSATA port and just build your own box... buts thats more work and expense than you probably want to do for a single drive.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. I thought that maybe there was an adaptor that I could possibly buy. Is there any way that you can you can send me a link with some adaptors on it. I am totally new to this kind of thing and I want to be sure I purchase an item that will work. I have an existing enclosure for IDE drives. So I am guessing that I just need the adaptor. I found a couple of items on Newegg, here is the url http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156017
Thanks so much for your help!

oldjoe, I have been reading up on a forum from newegg and was told that the previous adaptor did not appear to have a 4-pin molex? Would that be appropriate for my external enclosure with an IDE interface (I bought the coolmax enclosure you recommended)
Thanks!
Chris

oldjoe, I have been reading up on a forum from newegg and was told that the previous adaptor did not appear to have a 4-pin molex? Would that be appropriate for my external enclosure with an IDE interface (I bought the coolmax enclosure you recommended)
Thanks!
Chris

I'm not sure I fully understand your question. SATA devices do not require a 4-Pin Molex connector.

This is the 4-Pin Molex connector on "Side B"..right below the IDE Cable connection.

This pic shows the 4-Pin Molex connected to the adapter.

Last edited:
Thanks oldjoe, I am going to order the product ASAP! I am excited to try my new burner.

Any tips on intaling the burner in the enlcosure?

Installation is pretty straight forward. The drive and the enclosure are held together with thumb screws so no tools are needed.

Back