• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

My poor quality burn issue

SteelersFan

i downloaded the beta version for AnyDVD and was able to rip it with AnyDVDripper and burn with dvdshrink and everything was fine until 15 minutes into the movie....and then it starts to skip for the rest of the movie.

i downloaded the beta version for AnyDVD and was able to rip it with AnyDVDripper and burn with dvdshrink and everything was fine until 15 minutes into the movie....and then it starts to skip for the rest of the movie.

What brand of media are you using? Sounds like bad media or to fast of a burn.

I had the same problem a month ago with Hairspray where they gave two different video files the same name and after 15 minutes into the movie it would skip. i had to use dvdfabdecrypter to get it to burn right.

There is no problem if you use AnyDVD's ripper then your favorite program to burn Just don't use CloneDVD2 as it strips audio out of certian areas the same applies with DVDFab HD Decrypter to as it was tested by DrinkLyeAndDie.

This is a poor quality burn issue. The Shrink backup works fine, provided you're using Anydvd 6.3.0.9. Since you're not using Clonedvd, you posted in the wrong forum. Moving thread . . .

1. Update your burner's firmware (if available)
http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=12794&postcount=10

2. Use good quality media (Memorex, Ritek, Princo, Fuji, TDK from Costco, and Maxell that are not made in Japan are not good quality media). Are you using inferior blank media? If you're not using Taiyo Yuden (not valueline), Verbatim, or Maxell Broadcast Quality, then chances are the answer is yes.
If you use poor quality blank media, then you should expect problems.

visit http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4764653&postcount=25
and
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3976250

For +R DL blank media, use Verbatim made in Singapore or MAM-A 8x +R DL.

3. Try lowering your burn speed (not below 4x; if you have a 16x burner and 16x rated media try writing to it at 12x instead of 16x; an 8x burn speed on 16x rated media wouldn't be a bad idea either)

4. If you're using +R, +RW, or +R DL media, change the booktype to "dvd-rom"
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476 (step 3)

5. Avoid sticker labels (they tend to cause problems)

6. Download Nero cd-dvd speed. It's a free program. Select the tab labeled "scandisc". Insert the problematic backup disc, select the appropriate drive letter, and click "start". If Nero cd-dvd speed reports read errors, your backup is bad (which is the most likely case), your optical drive may be slowly dying, or your optical drive simply doesn't like the disc (or your choice of blank media)--even if the disc looks fine.

Bad burn quality is notorious around the end of discs (see step 6)
and also at layer breaks when using low quality DL media (use Verbatim +R DL media made in Singapore or MAM-A 8x +R DL, and change the booktype to "dvd-rom")

Last edited:
i'm using Sony dvd-r & i burned it at 8x speed.

The Sony media is most likely your problem. Sony (made in Japan) are good but rare. Try some Verbatim or Ty media and burn at 1/2 the rated speed of the media.

regarding burning 'too fast':
i normally burn dvd's at x2 even if the disc is rated x16 or x8 etc...

why is it not recommended to burn at the rated speed for the disc for those that dont know?? (if a disc says x16 and your burner supports x16,why do problems occur?)

also,although this has nothing to do with anydvd but is related to burning discs-i always burn audio cd's at maximum and have NEVER had a problem disc.how come?
thanks.

regarding burning 'too fast':
i normally burn dvd's at x2 even if the disc is rated x16 or x8 etc...

At 2x on 16x rated media? Bad idea

Burning too slowly is just as inadvisable as burning too quickly. Especially at 1x burn quality may decrease exceptionally (one explanation is that the dye runs the risk of being "overcooked") when using 16x rated blank media. Obviously, some standalone recoders burn at 1x or 2x. Typically, it's better to use slower rated blank media with those recorders.

why is it not recommended to burn at the rated speed for the disc for those that dont know?? (if a disc says x16 and your burner supports x16,why do problems occur?)

Simply stated, there's an increased likelyhood for burn errors. If you do some searches online, people will offer longer explanations (I honestly can't be bothered).

also,although this has nothing to do with anydvd but is related to burning discs-i always burn audio cd's at maximum and have NEVER had a problem disc.how come?
thanks.

Based on what evidence? Because you can play it on your computer and standalone players? Some players are more forgiving than others. A good burn will have a greater likelihood of playing on a wide variety of devices than one that is mediocre. Have you run pi/po and jitter scans on a decent testing device or burner (plextor, philips based benq burners, etc.,)? The best burn speed is one that offers you the best results on those tests, and the best burn speed will differ based on the burner, its firmware, and the blank media being used.

Last edited:

Burning too slowly is just as inadvisable as burning too quickly. Especially at 1x burn quality may decrease exceptionally (one explanation is that the dye runs the risk of being "overcooked").

Also, in my book burning a x8 or x16 blank at x2 is a waste of money buying blanks rated for higher speeds.

There's an increased likelyhood for burn errors

I've always taken the speed rating to be a rating under "optimal conditions" and in a perfect environment. I know that I'm definitely not in the perfect environment. Why push your luck? x12 is fast enough in my book with a x16 rated disc.

Burning too slowly is just as inadvisable as burning too quickly. Especially at 1x burn quality may decrease exceptionally (one explanation is that the dye runs the risk of being "overcooked") when using 16x rated blank media. Obviously, some standalone recoders burn at 1x or 2x. Typically, it's better to use slower rated blank media with those recorders.
ok.i'll burn at half the rated speed from now then (i dont go for particular speeds eg x16.i get verbatims +R mainly and they're rated x16.i buy in bulk and the discs work out a lot 'cheaper' than buying 1 disc or a 5 pack).
Based on what evidence? Because you can play it on your computer and standalone players? Some players are more forgiving than others. A good burn will have a greater likelihood of playing on a wide variety of devices than one that is mediocre.
no evidence whatsoever.i just aint had ANY problems with my cd players.

so i take it the same rule applies to audio cd's too? burn at half speed? (i hardly do any audio discs as all my music is on hard disk drive and mp3 player now).

i am more than happy to learn by following your good advice.

Last edited:
ok.i'll burn at half the rated speed from now then (i dont go for particular speeds eg x16.i get verbatims +R mainly and they're rated x16.i buy in bulk and the discs work out a lot 'cheaper' than buying 1 disc or a 5 pack).

Verbatims are generally pretty good stuff.

so i take it the same rule applies to audio cd's too? burn at half speed?

I don't really follow that rule for any blank media that I use. That's more of a guideline that tends to work well for a lot of people.

I test my burns and use the fastest burn speed that gives me the best results. I know what I'm writing here may seem contradictory, but sometimes I'll burn 8x TYs at 12x. It is possible to burn 16x rated media at 16x and still get very good results; it just depends on the burner, its firmware, and the blank media that you're using (so I don't deny that it is possible to get good results from burning at max, but unless you test you won't know for sure if you'll get better results at a lower speed). Obviously, if someone is burning at max speed and has problems, he or she should reduce burn speed. Same goes for someone having problems and burning at 1x or 2x to 16x rated blank media (he or she should probably not be burning below 4x).

As time passes, all blank media begins to die. If you produced a good burn initially, the disc will be usable for a longer period of time.

Last edited:
Back