• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

New Sony DVD player that blocks pirated discs?

Thanks for the info. I downloaded what seems to be a cool utility that's easy to use called DVDInfoPro and according to it, both LG drives are already set for DVD-ROM for + and -r's (all formats actually). Vista machine I haven't checked yet.

You can't change booktype for dvd-r (well, not properly); this only applies to dvd+r. So what you're writing here isn't accurate.

If you want to check, look at Anydvd's status screen with a burned dvd+r disc. Check under "booktype". If it says dvd+r, then the booktype isn't changed automatically.

Last edited:
It's as accurate as what the program said. I'm saying THEY are accurate but that's what it reported. Already bought 150 +r's anyway.

I also notice that according to DVDInfoPro my burner in my Vista machine is "not compatible" for bitsetting. Isn't that interesting. I think Lite-ons come with the Compag/HP pcs. Oh well, I guess I will be buying another burner asap...

Thanks again for the help.

It's as accurate as what the program said. I'm saying THEY are accurate but that's what it reported. Already bought 150 +r's anyway.

That really doesn't make any sense, because bitsetting doesn't apply to dvd-rs, (there is a trick for dvd-rs, but it's not really worthwhile).

If that's what the program is saying, then I wouldn't trust it: I suggest trying what I wrote in step 3 from http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=476

That's what I read earlier and there was disagreement, etc... bs I don't care about as long as one of them works. I've got the full version of the new Nero and saw the setting, but I thought it was "per disc" and I rarely use Nero for backups as I usually stick with Clone.

That's what I read earlier and there was disagreement, etc... bs I don't care about as long as one of them works. I've got the full version of the new Nero and saw the setting, but I thought it was "per disc" and I rarely use Nero for backups as I usually stick with Clone.

No. It's drive dependent in terms of whether it's per disc (or until you shut your computer off)--or whether bitsetting is offered at all (dependent often on the burner's firmware). And Nero cd-dvd speed is not a burning program, and it's also freeware.
You can also use imgburn to change booktype (again, you don't need to burn with imgburn). That program is also freeware.

These steps I'm listing are for Clonedvd--not for anything else. Follow them in order.

Last edited:
It wasn't hdmi. However my Sony player is hooked to my HDTV HDMI and I have no issues with -r or anything.

As for IMG Burn I d/l it & checked my Vista machine with a +r and sure enough it won't let me change it. However, on my XP machine, I put in a blank and it says booktype is +r so I changed it to DVD-ROM and as a test I placed another blank +r and checked and it still says it's booktyped +r. So I'm going to have to do some research.

Also IMG Burn told me to shut AnyDVD off because it could give incorrect results with it on.

Also IMG Burn told me to shut AnyDVD off because it could give incorrect results with it on.

That only affects the verification process in imgburn (verifying data after burning with imgburn). Since you're only
changing booktype with imgburn, that's nothing to be concerned about.

And you actually have to set the booktype to "dvd-rom"--and then burn something to the disc in Clonedvd. Then you check the booktype of the disc in Anydvd. Otherwise, you won't notice anything (you must change booktype-->then burn immediately).

Last edited:
So basically take a blank +r, place it in the drive, use IMGBurn to change the bitsetting, then burn the files while leaving IMGBurn open...is that close?

So basically take a blank +r, place it in the drive, use IMGBurn to change the bitsetting, then burn the files while leaving IMGBurn open...is that close?

You don't (necessarily) need imgburn running in the background. You can if you want, but it's not necessary.

Just change the booktype. Then run Clonedvd.

a) Download and install imgburn:
http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
This is also a free program
b) Insert your blank media in your burner.
c) Select your burner in the "Destination" drop down box.
d) Click "Tools"-->"Drive"-->"Change Booktype"
e) Choose your burner type
f) Under "Change For:", select what you're using
g) If your current setting is "dvd-rom", leave everything alone and exit Imgburn and ignore step "h)"
h) Under "New setting", select "dvd-rom". Click "Change" and then "Ok". Exit Imgburn

I just tested one that way and what's funny is IMGBurn still says it's a +R but AnyDVD says DVD-ROM. Oh well. As long as it works...

Thanks for the help on a Sunday. Been with you guys for about 3 years and you always come thru.

rrose1968 said:
Thanks for the help on a Sunday. Been with you guys for about 3 years and you always come thru.

You're welcome. I'm not a Slysoft employee though. I'm just an end-user--like you.

Yeah, but the previous post still counts!! I've seen you here helping folks since day 1 so that's cool.

Just a final update on this. I got my LG drives in today and the burner that was in my pc that I couldn't set the booktype for was a DH-16A1L. I'm not sure who makes it, but I read it was a drive Lite-On makes just for HP/Compaq. No idea...

I put the new SATA LG Drive in and setting booktype was nooooo problem. Only problem is I was going to add a 2nd SATA drive and even though my motherboard specs say there are 4 SATA connections, there are 4 on the board, but only 2 with connectors... :mad:

BTW this pc is my first with a SATA drive and I have to admit, there's a noticeable speed difference than with my XP with LG IDE connections...quite a bit faster read.

I'm not sure who makes it, but I read it was a drive Lite-On makes just for HP/Compaq.

my motherboard specs say there are 4 SATA connections, there are 4 on the board, but only 2 with connectors... :mad:

The DH-16A1L is manufactured by Lite-On for HP.

What brand and model is the Motherboard?

Last edited:
Whatever came with the Compaq SR5113WM (too lazy to research it). It's not that bad for $320ish. However my next one may be a custom build because I want to see how much better (or not) they run than these bloated ones. I am buying Vista Ultimate soon so doing a clean install of it will get rid of a lot of it.

Not a gamer at all. I have been looking into Ultimate because of encryption, although I hesitate anytime I put MS/Security/Encryption wthin the same paragraph. Other than PGP I don't know of many programs that are really that good. Plus I could never do backups right with PGP regardless of what they said. I basically decrypted my drives on Sunday, did a backup, then re-encrypted that night. Rather annoying.

So I'm still reaearching how good the encryption is and maybe have better luck with backups. Plus I can get it really cheap and would be a good experiment if nothing else.

I also use (and have for years) Cyberscrub which just became Vista compatible and it gets rid of the Shadow Copy among other things I don't want left behind.

Not a gamer at all. I have been looking into Ultimate because of encryption

Oh, sorry, I'm not very familiar with the features you're interested in (or at least, I'm not well read enough to offer advice in that area).

Back