• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

HD DVD fires back, slashes hardware & software prices

psgolfer

HD DVD's response to being unceremoniously jilted by Warner going into CES was ... nothing. A canceled press conference, downtrodden Toshiba press conference and rumors of further losses left great doubt that red had anything left in 2008, but now HD DVD is firing back. Leveraging its "approximately 50% market share in 2007" -- we're not sure where that number comes from either, we've contacted Toshiba for clarification -- indisputable lead in the notebook market and 100% compatibility with internet-enabled HDi features, Toshiba has announced it is not laying down yet. Effective yesterday, the HD-A3 MSRP has dropped to $149.99, the 1080p-capable HD-A30 to $199.99, and the top of the line HD-A35 to $299.99. Combined with an extended "perfect offer" of 5 free HD DVDs with every purchase, Toshiba's HD DVD Concierge service, and a sudden 50% off sale on Amazon, it seems this format will not go quietly into the dark. Fire sale to clear suddenly obsolete inventory or real chance to hang onto its remaining supporters? This could be the best -- or worst -- time to pick a side in the HD war.

Full Article here:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/14/hd-dvd-fires-back-slashes-hardware-and-software-prices/

Here is the PRNewswire link too:

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/01-14-2008/0004735440&EDATE=

Last edited:
I was an HD-DVD supporter from the beginning. This smell's of desperation to me. I'm not saying I'm no longer an HD-DVD supporter, I just think when Warner went Blu, it is/was over, end of story. Add to that ZERO new releases at CES from Paramount/Dreamworks/Universal and I would think anybody who thinks
HD-DVD has a fighting chance is naive and/or kidding themselves.

HD-DVD.......R.I.P

g

He's dead, Jim.

What's the point of buying a lower priced player if I can't buy new movies to play on it?

That doesn't seem as though HD-DVD is firing back; it seems more likely that Toshiba is dumping existing player stock.

Last edited:
What's the point of slashing player prices if I can't buy new movies to play on it?

shifting stock &
for people that don't quite know what there buying into seeing a cheap player and buying it, then realizing it was the wrong move :D

I suppose some could argue that at these new prices these players make nice upconverting dvd players that also happen to play existing HD-DVD movies, but . . .

He's dead, Jim.

What's the point of buying a lower priced player if I can't buy new movies to play on it?
The A30 is a great DVD upscaling player, it even outputs NTSC DVDs judder free with 24p. ;)
Seriously, if you're looking for a nice upscaling DVD player, the A30 (or A20) are no brainers for that price, considering you'll get 5 HD DVD movies for free (worth approx. 100$).

The A30 is a great DVD upscaling player, it even outputs NTSC DVDs judder free with 24p. ;)
Seriously, if you're looking for a nice upscaling DVD player, the A30 (or A20) are no brainers for that price, considering you'll get 5 HD DVD movies for free (worth approx. 100$).

And Toshiba does indeed seem to be marketing the players as upscaling DVD players. That could really cause a problem for Blu-ray adoption. If Toshiba's saying "Hey, why bother with HD? Just buy one of our HD DVD players for a cut rate price and you can enjoy 'near HD' resolution on your existing library." That's not a good thing for a lot of people. Great for consumers, but, not for those who wish to make money in HD sales.

And Toshiba does indeed seem to be marketing the players as upscaling DVD players. That could really cause a problem for Blu-ray adoption. If Toshiba's saying "Hey, why bother with HD? Just buy one of our HD DVD players for a cut rate price and you can enjoy 'near HD' resolution on your existing library." That's not a good thing for a lot of people. Great for consumers, but, not for those who wish to make money in HD sales.

Maybe the plan is to "sneak HD DVD" into homes through the back door? At least these players can play *a lot* of HD DVD discs, too...

Maybe the plan is to "sneak HD DVD" into homes through the back door? At least these players can play *a lot* of HD DVD discs, too...

Yea, I'm kind of wondering that myself. Region free players with 800 titles world wide. That's an interesting concept, but, isn't this too little too late? Like I just said in the thread about Fox and Warner's supposed pay off, if Toshiba and Microsoft ponied up the cash to counter the offer, we'd be looking at a very different ball game. The trojan horse thing works great for Sony with the PS3. At this point, though, I'm not sure Toshiba has a prayer on this one. If they had done this from the beginning that'd be great. "Buy our upscaling player for your current DVD collection and while you're at it just pick up your new movies on HD DVD." Kuel. But, no, that's not what happened. Now we're fire saling off the equipment and saying they're great upscaling players. GREAT. Where the hell was that marketing campaign 6 months ago? A year ago? sigh...

I suppose some could argue that at these new prices these players make nice upconverting dvd players that also happen to play existing HD-DVD movies, but . . .

I had an Oppo before my A2. And I would say the upscaling is about identical..

Back