• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Question on dma and pio settings

mac007

I am using windows xp home. More than not, I have to go in and uninstall a primary or secondary ide channel,reboot,and its back to dma. It backs up perfectly either way, but what causes the system to default to pio setting(s)?

Thanks

Well if it is continuely going back into PIO mode that makes me wonder if the drive is going bad or the cables are going bad.

PIO Mode

On Windows XP, enough read errors can & will make the drive/drives go into PIO mode. Also, as Charlie said, your drive could be going bad, or cables. Make sure your source discs are clean & scratch free 1st. If PIO mode continues, replace your IDE or SATA cable/cables on your drives. If that does not fix it, time for a New Drive! Note: It could also be in your CMOS settings, be sure you have that set to DMA or Auto, all CMOS/BIOS have a little different settings.

On Windows XP, enough read errors can & will make the drive/drives go into PIO mode.[/FONT]
Good to know: If AnyDVD is installed, it will prevent drives dropping to PIO.

Good to know: If AnyDVD is installed, it will prevent drives dropping to PIO.

I'm not sure I understand. If the original disc is bad, the drive may still drop to PIO with or without Anydvd.

I'm not sure I understand. If the original disc is bad, the drive may still drop to PIO with or without Anydvd.
No, it won't or shouldn't. The drop to PIO is due to the port driver (IDE driver) timing out, because the drive needs too long to report the error. A timeout resets the bus (check the event log), if the reset happens frequently, XP reverts the drive to PIO.
If AnyDVD is running, it will prevent these timeouts to happen, therefore it will prevent the drive to revert to PIO because of read errors.

No, it won't or shouldn't. The drop to PIO is due to the port driver (IDE driver) timing out, because the drive needs too long to report the error. A timeout resets the bus (check the event log), if the reset happens frequently, XP reverts the drive to PIO.
If AnyDVD is running, it will prevent these timeouts to happen, therefore it will prevent the drive to revert to PIO because of read errors.
WOW! So if I'm ripping (or trying to rip) a badly scratched disc with AnyDVD running, no matter how many read errors I encounter AnyDVD will prevent my optical drive from slipping into PIO mode. Is there no end to the benefits of using AnyDVD?

WOW! So if I'm ripping (or trying to rip) a badly scratched disc with AnyDVD running, no matter how many read errors I encounter AnyDVD will prevent my optical drive from slipping into PIO mode. Is there no end to the benefits of using AnyDVD?

Yes and Yes again :D

Of course if you update to service pack 2. It will take care of that problem. 321 software use to cause that problem a lot. So much so someone wrote a small program that would reset it for you. With the release of sp2 that problem went away for most of us.

Is the the timeout prevention new for Anydvd? I remember, over a year ago, someone having a problem with Clonedvd with a bad disc, and he said his drive dropped to PIO.

Anyway, that's interesting information. Thank you

Back