• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Beware of DVD: Beyond The Ring R:1

Do you want a single definitive sticky list of bad media originals?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lostinlodos

Yet another bad media film.
Title Beyond The Ring
Both R:1 Club Edition (Rental/Discount shop version) and Retail version are on bad media.

side note: at this point is it time for a sticky list of bad media?

Yet another bad media film.
Title Beyond The Ring
Both R:1 Club Edition (Rental/Discount shop version) and Retail version are on bad media.

side note: at this point is it time for a sticky list of bad media?

There will be no poll on this topic. And no, I am not keeping a list.
I will have every user claiming that I should be adding
certain titles based on his or her subjective experiences. I use to have
people bothering me all the time about my other lists (that was before
I turned PMs off).

I believe what you've written here (and thank you for letting us know), but I am not keeping a list.
It's easy enough for people to run a scandisc to see if their discs are bad. Take the bad discs back to the store and complain. Complain to the companies releasing poorly pressed junk.

Last edited:
Well, maybe I was a bit hasty.

Why do you want me to have a list? I'm going to be the one maintaining it,
so if you're creating extra work for me, I want a good reason.

If enough people post here and provide good reasons, then maybe I'll change my mind.

I'll consider people's reasons.

I do not want a poll (I find them meaningless; popular opinion does not necessarily indicate that something is right, good, etc.).

Again, I'll consider people's reasons.

Last edited:
Well, maybe I was a bit hasty.

Maybe hasty but I fully understand the amount of work this will entail. As we already know some people just don't like to be clear. I could see someone saying a disc is bad when it isn't. IOW user error.

Why do you want me to have a list? I'm going to be the one maintaining it,
so if you're creating extra work for me, I want a good reason.

If enough people post here and provide good reasons, then maybe I'll change my mind.

I'll consider people's reasons.

Well, I think it might be useful in certain cases. When we see a specific disc where it can be confirmed by numerous respected sources that there are a lot of bad discs being sold then I'd recommend a sticky with it being mentioned in the post.

One example I have from personal experience is BloodRayne 2. That movie was probably manufactured using the absolute cheapest sub-standard media possible and I returned the disc 10 times for a replacement and still didn't get an acceptable disc. I got lucky on one of my attempts and did make a working backup. The issue was poor media and the stupid disc wouldn't spin true. The inside edges were rough and will likely splinter and break at some point. All the copies were like this. That type of disc deserves to be on a list of movies to be wary of.

We've also seen an exponential increase in the amount of badly pressed discs. I'm beginning to wonder if this is for more than profit margins. I wonder if the studios are doing this because they want to focus more on high def releases and they just don't much care about SD DVD as much.

I cannot remember any other discs right now that insane quantities of bad discs were released but, yes, I can see merit to a post listing bad releases as long as strict guidelines are adhered to and that one person saying "it won't work" doesn't add it to the list.

I also see it being more of something that could be created from just you reading posts in the forum, Webslinger. If you notice a trend with a particular title you could add it w/o people making submissions.

Anyway, just my two cents and throwing some ideas around. It's more work for you so, in the end, the decision is really yours.

Last edited:
O.k., I'll maintain a list.

Drinklyeanddie is from here on banned from persuading me again. :p

Well; I'd send you a PM but you don't take them, so I'll just do this publicly. ;) I've been here, on and off, for quite some time. Some of the older users (probably including you) know who I am and what I do.
I get dozens of films every week. I watch most of them as I get the time (admittedly starting with the ones I'm most interested in) in order to write reviews. Recently I've been receiving multiple versions of films. I've also been coming across more and more bad originals every week. Some seem to be bad batches, others to be bad across the release spectrum.
When I get a bad disc in the set, I go and try a second (and third) one from a local retail store (the films I receive often come from CA or NY). If I get three different duds, I post.

My thought was the general hurry-up public. A single list could let people know not to buy that title to watch that night. That it probably won't work.
Along with that; it could really cut down on "AnyDVD is $*#^#@ on this title" posts and reduce the number of logs James has to go over. That could free up time for him to work on real problems rather than chasing bad disc ghosts. .
I realise that this would be more work for you... and for that I'd be willing to take on the brunt of the work myself. If you want to tag the top of the post I see you created with a link to my PM box, I'd be willing to take the brunt of verification work for you since it's more or less in my job field anyway to follow up (for another group) on bad disc reports. It wouldn't be much extra than I'm already doing to add a few more buy-at-store titles beyond having to fill out more compensation forms (do I ever hate those). That way nothing gets posted unless I it's triple checked to be bad media.

Just an offer I thought may help everyone from top to bottom. It would probably take me about a week to follow up on notices but it would cut down on others flooding you or the forums with problems.
I get Club (rental/discount), Retail and Direct versions of region 1 discs at this point and they usually get here the Thursday before release date. I also get region 3 Hong Kong retail releases (including western), region 2 Japanese releases (no western titles inc) and region 6 Chinese releases (including western).

Per the current list two more (less popular) films for the list are the thread title Beyond The Ring, both versions, and PIGs. There was a third one I posted about but I can't remember off hand what it was.

My thought was the general hurry-up public. A single list could let people know not to buy that title to watch that night. That it probably won't work.
Along with that; it could really cut down on "AnyDVD is $*#^#@ on this title" posts and reduce the number of logs James has to go over. That could free up time for him to work on real problems rather than chasing bad disc ghosts.

The unfortunate part about this is that the people who read the list are also the people who have less need to read the list. I, myself, will find the list helpful but along with all those other stickies in the forum... many people will not even know it exists.

Along with that; it could really cut down on "AnyDVD is $*#^#@ on this title" posts

If all people read the FAQ and the other stickies before posting, those posts wouldn't exist at all. I fear adding another sticky won't help in that regard. But it's there now as a reference for those who want it.

and reduce the number of logs James has to go over.

Actually, I PM him whenever I feel there's an issue (I think it's fairly safe to say I read more threads here than he does) with a disc that Anydvd isn't handling properly. So I would like to think at least that I cut down on his requirement to go through .zip logs. James does not read all of the threads here. I probably read close to 95% of them.

I realise that this would be more work for you

I'm just going to leave things the way they are, for now.

Per the current list two more (less popular) films for the list are the thread title Beyond The Ring, both versions, and PIGs. There was a third one I posted about but I can't remember off hand what it was.

I hope you are testing these discs in more than one drive (not from the same company).

Last edited:
I hope you are testing these discs in more than one drive (not from the same company).
I'm offended! So hurt! :(
;)
An LG HD/BluRay computer burner, an LG supermulti burner, A Durabrand DVD1002 Seim-portable, a Samsung V1000, a Chinese super player, and an RJ-1000HD.
I still search out the "super region code" discs that lock up, as well as structure protections that may hurt users with older players. Best to be through, eh?

O.k., unfortunately, the burners don't offer much in variation, but if the discs also aren't playing properly in your standalones, then that's good enough for me.

Last edited:
O.k., thanks.

You've also experienced read issues with Order of the Phoenix R1?
If this were a serious issue, I'd expect the forums to be flooded.

I'm seeing potential hardware issues: http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=73055&postcount=9

I own the HD-DVD version, so I didn't bother with the dvd edition of that disc (otherwise I would test).

Last edited:
O.k., thanks.

You've also experienced read issues with Order of the Phoenix R1?
If this were a serious issue, I'd expect the forums to be flooded.

I'm seeing potential hardware issues: http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=73055&postcount=9

I own the HD-DVD version, so I didn't bother with the dvd edition of that disc (otherwise I would test).

From what I've read, the problem seems to be a computer or high end player issue. While it's not a flood, I wasn't alone in reporting issues. Granted most of the complaints I've read a various sites are either on computer drives (when ripping) or on players with wobble support, read-ahead, scratch-proof... et cetera, where the drive spins past and caches data ahead of playback. That user may be right about it being a speed issue (to fast for poor media). One of the 'duds' that wouldn't play in my RJ or my Hi worked in the old Samsung player just fine. It also appeared to be just some bad batches and not the entire release. I had one where I was pulling plastic threads off the edges before I tried it. That can never be a good sign.

The HD-DVD version worked well without issue both in the computer and in my A2. .

That user may be right about it being a speed issue (to fast for poor media).

If I'm being honest, I feel (strongly) the problem is reading with newer Lite-on drives.

One of the 'duds' that wouldn't play in my RJ or my Hi worked in the old Samsung player just fine.

A few friends of mine didn't have any problems with Oppo 981HDs (which does use a read cache) with this title. I remain unconvinced this problem is widespread, but I will mention the disc in the list then.

If I'm being honest, I feel (strongly) the problem is reading with newer Lite-on drives.
A few friends of mine didn't have any problems with Oppo 981HDs (which does use a read cache) with this title. I remain unconvinced this problem is widespread, but I will mention the disc in the list then.
How are the Oppo drives? I've hard primarily good things about them but have never had my hands on one.

Back