• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Keeping the Surround sound when converting to DivX

martmanr

Is there any way of keeping the surround sound when converting to generic (DivX)? CloneDVD mobile seems to always convert the DVD to stereo.

this mod to devices.ini will copy the sound track from the dvd so if its AC3 it will be an avi with AC3 soundtrack

[DivX with orignal sound]
Manufacturer=
Res1=320x240
Res2=480x360
Res3=640x480
Res4=720x540
ResAna1=320x180
ResAna2=480x270
ResAna3=640x360
ResAna4=720x404
ResAna5=852x480
AllowNativeTVResolution=1
VTag=DIVX
mopts=-audio-preload 0.8 -delay 0.1
lavcopts=vcodec=mpeg4
moac=copy
Format=avi -noodml
FileType=avi
Quality=23
useMencoder=1
SubTitle=1
MaxVBitrate=3000

Last edited:
Thanks!
I'll give it a go tonight and let you know how I get along. :bowdown:

Genric DivX Will Give You 5.1 Surround

@martmanr,

I just ran a quick test without any customizations to the Devices.ini file. I used an avi file I created with CloneDVD Mobile. When coverting from DVD to avi I checked the radio button for English Dolby AC-3/6 radio button which you will find under Audio and Subtitle Settings page under Title [n] stream configuration | Audio Streams. Actually it defaults to this radio button.

I copied the finished avi file on to a blank DVD as a data disk. I dropped it in my DivX compatible DVD player, a Panasonic DVD-S53, and I got full PCM 5.1 surround.

So I don't think you need to use a custom Devices.ini file. Can you give more information about why you don't think you are getting surround sound?

~KnoWei

Hello KnoWei,

Thanks for your reply. I convert the files to AVI as you describe and when I play them on my philips dvp-5982 through a usb drive they play back in stereo. If I look at the properties of the file it says the audio is MPEG-Layer 3. If I modify the device.ini file like how this thread tells you too http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=11381
the audio is AC3 and the surround sound works. So the good news is that I'm getting the results I'm looking for:clap:. I just don't understand why I'm not getting surround sound w/o modifying the device.ini...

Cheers,
Martmanr

@martmanr,

Can you tell me which .ini mod you are looking at from the other thread? I scanned them quickly and nothing jumped out at me. I'd like to compare it to my generic divx profile. Thanks.

~KnoWei

KnoWei,
It is the Direct Sound Copy (For DTS/DD+) mod.
Cheers,
Martmanr

Last edited:
yes that will work as well
both the one in this thread (that i put in) and the one maked up "direct sound copy)

the main difrance is:
moac=copy
and the removal of the lameopts section of mopts
removal of ARate=48000 as not reencodeing audio
removal of ABRate=128 as not reencodeing audio
removal of MVolume=10 as not reencodeing audio

my mod:
Code:
[* Generic (DivX) orignal audio]
Res1=320x240
Res2=480x360
Res3=640x480
Res4=720x540
ResAna1=320x180
ResAna2=480x270
ResAna3=640x360
ResAna4=720x404
ResAna5=852x480
VTag=DIVX
lavcopts=vcodec=mpeg4
moac=copy
Format=avi -noodml
FileType=avi
Quality=23
useMencoder=1
SubTitle=1
MaxVBitrate=3000

orignal:
Code:
[* Generic (DivX)]
Res1=320x240
Res2=480x360
Res3=640x480
Res4=720x540
ResAna1=320x180
ResAna2=480x270
ResAna3=640x360
ResAna4=720x404
ResAna5=852x480
VTag=DIVX
mopts=-audio-preload 0.8 -delay 0.1 -lameopts br=%abrate%
lavcopts=vcodec=mpeg4
moac=mp3lame
Format=avi -noodml
FileType=avi
ARate=48000
ABRate=128
MVolume=10
Quality=23
useMencoder=1
SubTitle=1
MaxVBitrate=3000

this will use what ever the audio feed is you select on the audio selection DTS/AC3/PCM - it just copys the audio track

Thanks for this eddweb.

I'm going to have to experiment a bit. I'm 99.9% sure that using the Generic DivX that my DivX compatable DVD player played a clip from a data file on a DVD-R in surround. So it's interesting that martmanr did not get surround sound when playing a data file from a USB drive on his DVD player. I'll put his on my list of things that make me say "hmmm". [we need a head scratching Smilie] :agree:

I can't say for sure when I'll test it but your settings definitely have got me curious.

~KnoWei

I'm 99.9% sure that using the Generic DivX that my DivX compatable DVD player played a clip from a data file on a DVD-R in surround. So it's interesting that martmanr did not get surround sound when playing a data file from a USB drive on his DVD player.
~KnoWei
Well, it would depend on the sound system as well. Mine will take any stereo 2 channel input and convert it to surround sound unless I set it to "direct" input in which case a stereo input will give me stereo output.

The audio copy option from eddwebb/lostinlodos makes a huge DivX file but if you are using the output for a DivX player linked to a DTS/DD sound system (and a screen!!) it is well worth it. For a handheld player it is rather pointless. 8)

we need a head scratching Smilie
Here you go!!
attachment.php

Attachments

• scratching.gif
    scratching.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 578
Well, it would depend on the sound system as well. Mine will take any stereo 2 channel input and convert it to surround sound unless I set it to "direct" input in which case a stereo input will give me stereo output.

Right. My A/V receiver displays when it's faking 5.1 and when it thinks it has a real 5.1 input. My recollection was it thought it had a real 5.1 input. I'll have to check again when I have the cycles.

Thanks for the scratcher.

~KnoWei

just reading through this, i use a MCE box that passes out useing digita. iv tested the suround sound with sevral films, the file it creates has not had the audio prossessed in any way from what i can tell so will play right if the equipment can handel it.

in saying that i havent tryed a dvd player that playes divx files, it may mix the sound down to 2 track as its a divx - a waist and a stuped limatation but u can never tell.

to test this out you could create (or get) a soround sound track which can easily identfy each speaker (nero wave editor can load 6 tracks and save as AC3 format) and the mux it with a video to create a dvd file, from there burn it test it in the dvd player to conferm that stage has workd, then rip the dvd and test the ripped divx file. - a lot of messing around but will confirm your setup works. if i find my old fle i'll try and sort out posting a iso if its small enuf for testing perpersis. - dont hold me to that as dont konw what i did with my test clip

Edd

i havent tryed a dvd player that playes divx files, it may mix the sound down to 2 track as its a divx - a waist and a stuped limatation but u can never tell.
Edd
Just open the DivX file on your PC with Gspot or abcAVI Tag Editor or similar and it will tell you what audio stream is being used. My DivX players will play exactly that audio stream - I have never heard of one that "dumbed down" the audio unless you set it to do that. These are usually latest generation players with full AC3 capability.

the files i produce are corect, i was trying to think why some ppl in here are getting only sterio when they play back the files, from all the files i made they say ac3 with 6 channels and they play back corectly :)

Hi, am trying to copy my dvd's to my hard drive and keeping the original surround sound. I have pasted this in to the devices.ini folder:

[DivX with orignal sound]
Manufacturer=
Res1=320x240
Res2=480x360
Res3=640x480
Res4=720x540
ResAna1=320x180
ResAna2=480x270
ResAna3=640x360
ResAna4=720x404
ResAna5=852x480
VTag=DIVX
lavcopts=vcodec=mpeg4
moac=copy
Format=avi -noodml
FileType=avi
Quality=23
useMencoder=1
SubTitle=1
MaxVBitrate=3000

But I get an error message when I start the copying process. Do you know what I am doing wrong?

Back