• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

ISO HD-DVD rips and "magic file replacement"?

YaniD

If I rip an HD-DVD to ISO directly via imgburn read with AnyDVD HD running and then mount the ISO with Daemon Tools, does AnyDVD HD create a "magic file replacement" entry for the mounted ISO?

If it does, is this named differently from the one created for the original disc or does it re-use the one already created for the original disc?

I find the "magic file replacement" feature very useful, but if it doesn't work for mounted ISOs, then I'm restricted in what subsequent magic I can perform (unless I extract from the ISO to folders on HDD, but that is another time/space consuming step).

If I rip an HD-DVD to ISO directly via imgburn read with AnyDVD HD running and then mount the ISO with Daemon Tools, does AnyDVD HD create a "magic file replacement" entry for the mounted ISO?
Yes.
If it does, is this named differently from the one created for the original disc or does it re-use the one already created for the original disc?
No. Maybe. Depends. If AnyDVD changes the contents, the hash may change, and you will get a second entry under volume label. I suggest you disable all of AnyDVD's "Magic File Replacement" features when creating the .iso, so you can do (and modify) the "Magic" later.

I suggest you disable all of AnyDVD's "Magic File Replacement" features when creating the .iso, so you can do (and modify) the "Magic" later.

You're going to disagree with me on this, I just know it, but, *I* recommend making the ISO without AnyDVD HD running to create a "pure" image that can be manipulated when it's mounted.

Thanks for the clarifications and suggestions.

I normally only tick the two "remove prohibitions" entries when ripping to ISO. Are you suggesting that it is better not to remove/modify anything except the AACS encryption via AnyDVD HD?

I didn't think it was possible to rip a disc to ISO without AnyDVD HD running: something about AACS preventing copying.

Also, what does "rename highest .xpl" actually do and what is its effect?

AACS prevents playback, not copying. How do you think all the people rip ISO images with their PS3 and still play them? They use AnyDVD HD to decrypt the image. That's what I'm saying here. Make a raw image with no AnyDVD running, and then mount the image with AnyDVD to handle decryption and any other options you wanna throw at it.

Rename highest .xpl removes the web content download on universal movies.

You're going to disagree with me on this, I just know it, but, *I* recommend making the ISO without AnyDVD HD running to create a "pure" image that can be manipulated when it's mounted.
Interesting method, but then you'll need AnyDVD running when playing back the image to remove AACS.
EDIT: Another potential danger: AnyDVD cannot get the VID from the image, it must know the VUK of the title. If the VUK gets lost somehow, your image becomes useless.

Last edited:
Interesting method, but then you'll need AnyDVD running when playing back the image to remove AACS.
EDIT: Another potential danger: AnyDVD cannot get the VID from the image, it must know the VUK of the title. If the VUK gets lost somehow, your image becomes useless.

One would assume though that once the iso has been created with imgburn and you play it back in powerdvd using anydvd hd and it works then thereis nothing to worry about?

That's why having the original disc kicking around is handy, eh? :D And I need AnyDVD running when I play back the image? "OH NO!!!" :D Sorry, that failed to convince me to change my method. GRIN

But why?

Rip w/AnyDVD, then make .ISO w/Imgburn.

Never failed me.
Leave out the rip with AnyDVD. Make .iso with ImgBurn / CloneCD right away, keeping the UDF file positions / partitions intact. This may make a big difference, if you plan to write the image back to optical disc someday.
EDIT: For Blu-ray images, that is.

Leave out the rip with AnyDVD. Make .iso with ImgBurn / CloneCD right away, keeping the UDF file positions / partitions intact. This may make a big difference, if you plan to write the image back to optical disc someday.
EDIT: For Blu-ray images, that is.

How do I rip straight to iso with Imgburn? Is there a tutorial anywhere?

Back