• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Warner Swayed by $500 million from the BDA

Webslinger,
This can`t be true!They did it because the customers have spoken and Blueray is want they wanted.(end sarcasism).I wish more people did care which one wins.When they see that most people don`t if they disregard fair use rights,then they don`t respect them.I have only bought HD DVD and hope to continue to.

James keeps saying not to support Blu-Ray, but I don't understand why. Why is HD-DVD the one to support? If I understood the reasons, then I could pick a side.

Can someone explain it briefly without linking to a 10 page article?

HD DVD has copy protections on it but,they aren`t doing the things that Blueray is with their total lack of regard for fair use like backup or ripping to HDD`s so you can set up a Media Center.HD DVD isn`t trying so hard to stop this kind of activity,they want to stop piracy.Blueray wants to prevent all of this and have been very agressive about stopping it.They don`t respect fair use rights.They believe that their rights are the only one`s that matter.When we continue to buy their products,we support this kind of abuse.The only things these people understand is money.If they didn`t get it from us,they would have no choice but to change their ways.

James keeps saying not to support Blu-Ray, but I don't understand why.

Basically, HD-DVD has less DRM and no region coding. So, as a format, it's less restrictive than Blu-ray.

also click http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=68829&postcount=61

But with Warner switching over, I think the situation is pretty much "game over" for HD-DVD (at least, at the moment).

I will say that as a computer storage format, I think Blu-ray is superior (especially with respect to hardware development).

But, to me, there is little doubt that HD-DVD is the less restrictive format for movies.

Last edited:
That's good to know... but too late I guess apparently.

I was actually under the impression that Blu-Ray discs were playing OK in players from different countries, i.e., UK disc in US player. (Just like the HD-DVD discs.)

James keeps saying not to support Blu-Ray, but I don't understand why. Why is HD-DVD the one to support? If I understood the reasons, then I could pick a side.
Too late, but there are some reasons:
1.) AACS is mandatory on BD. So, a studio *cannot* allow its customers "fair use", even if they want to. I have several HD DVD discs without *any* copy protection (AACS). Small studios *must* pay AACS LA if they want to release movies.

2.) HD DVD is region free. You can see a lot of "BD exclusive" titles (RE3, FF Silver Surfer, Prestige, Terminator2, ...) on HD DVD if you know where to look.

3.) HD DVD works on red laser discs. (This may be true for BD, but I don't know for sure).

I am not mentioning BD+, as this is optional on BD and almost broken anyway.

1.) AACS is mandatory on BD. So, a studio *cannot* allow its customers "fair use", even if they want to. I have several HD DVD discs without *any* copy protection (AACS). Small studios *must* pay AACS LA if they want to release movies.

2.) HD DVD is region free. You can see a lot of "BD exclusive" titles (RE3, FF Silver Surfer, Prestige, Terminator2, ...) on HD DVD if you know where to look.

3.) HD DVD works on red laser discs. (This may be true for BD, but I don't know for sure).

All of those things are true and I bought as many HD DVD's as I could to support the format.....BUT...I think the too late comment is unfortunately accurate. At this point, there is no way HD DVD can reverse the tide against them. Even if they prolong the inevitible somehow, they only have 2 studios. If Universal falls, and I think it's a good possibility in the next 6 months, then it really will be over completely. As it is now, if you look at all the comments out there, a LOT of people who were sitting on the side lines waiting for a winner to be decided have now decided to go buy a Blu-ray player. So, I think it's safe to say we're going to have to focus our attention on BD now and let HD DVD RIP. I'm keeping the titles I have but at this point I don't think it makes a lot of sense to buy much more on HD DVD...

I too think it is just a rumor as the same rumor went around when they went to HD-DVD.

Dont shoot me as I may be wrong but I dont think sony (thats if u mean them) has $500mil to throw arround. I know they are big but they have had a lot of money probs.

supposedly this is how it went down

Zack has nailed what appears to be the real story and I'm sure that Ron can verify (or not). Several industry insiders are revealed:

1) The studios (all of them) were not happy with the relatively slow growth of both formats. While, at the same time, standard def DVD sales were declining.

2) Warner preferred to go HD DVD exclusive but didn't want to do it by themselves. They felt they needed one more studio from the Blu-ray camp to Why is the story behind the deal suchgo HD DVD exclusive.

3) Warner and Fox had worked out a deal where both of them would announce going HD DVD exclusive at CES' HD DVD press conference. That was what the big news was going to be.

4) At the last minute, Fox got a better offer from the Blu camp and backed out of the deal.

5) Warner, feeling that the format war needed to end sooner rather than later (see #1), threw in the towel and accepted the fat offer that the Blu camp had been dangling in front of them.

The correct sentence should be

"They felt they needed one more studio from the Blu-ray camp to go HD DVD exclusive."

Just random (possibly dumb) questions!
I still don't see what stops a company, especially smaller/independent/international ones, from putting out BR discs without AACS.
Is it not possible to master, at the studio level, a disc with all the regions set?
They do, sometimes. Nero Recode (w/ plugin) can split a disc across multiple discs (loosing some menu options). They work in some players and not others.
This is not a thread for discussions on what the definition of evil may be to some, but anyone who values natural rights must consider BD+ to be that definition.
And why "BD"? Hey, Sony dumbass, if you use the capital letter in the name, you use it in the acronym. "BD" = BluDisc. "BR" = BluRay. "BRD" = BluRay Disc. Idiots! :policeman:

And why "BD"? Hey, Sony dumbass, if you use the capital letter in the name, you use it in the acronym. "BD" = BluDisc. "BR" = BluRay. "BRD" = BluRay Disc. Idiots! :policeman:

You're wrong. "BD" makes perfect sense and BRD is stupid, because the technology is called with two words - 1)Blu-ray and 2) Disc. There is no third word, well I admit that the first word is made out of two words, but it's one word. So the technology name is Blu-ray Disc (look at the "r", it's small, not capital) and that's way they use BD. Two words --> two letters.

Just random (possibly dumb) questions!

I still don't see what stops a company, especially smaller/independent/international ones, from putting out BR discs without AACS.

Sony's licensing is what prevents it. You can only make BD-Rom discs with AACS. For a small studio to make Blu-ray discs without AACS they'd have to use BD-r's and write them all themselves. Licensing fee 6 months ago in the UK was somewhere between £2000-£2500 for your initial license and on top of that £1500 per title and thats before the actual replication costs and you have to sign a hefty agreement as well (around 64 pages). So for your first film you have to shell out an extra £4000 before you even get started

Last edited:

This worries me the most, to be honest. I really very greatly hate the consumer unfriendliness of BD but this point is what really really bothers me.

So, I'm left wondering... will HD-DVD become the poor studios high definition format? If so that means people will need a HD-DVD player and a BD player or a dual format player. But, if BD wins will companies worry about continuing to sell dual format players?

I'll be interested to see if they end up changing specs to remove the AACS if they do, in fact, win the war. There are a lot of smaller films released that simply won't make it to BD with the cost of an AACS license. Mandating AACS is simply ludicrous.

Back