• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Toshiba's Response

ron spencer

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/01-04-2008/0004730777&EDATE=

TOKYO, Jan. 4 /PRNewswire/ -- Toshiba is quite surprised by Warner
Bros.' decision to abandon HD DVD in favor of Blu-ray, despite the fact
that there are various contracts in place between our companies concerning
the support of HD DVD. As central members of the DVD Forum, we have long
maintained a close partnership with Warner Bros. We worked closely together
to help standardize the first-generation DVD format as well as to define
and shape HD DVD as its next-generation successor.

We were particularly disappointed that this decision was made in spite
of the significant momentum HD DVD has gained in the US market as well as
other regions in 2007. HD DVD players and PCs have outsold Blu-ray in the
US market in 2007.

We will assess the potential impact of this announcement with the other
HD DVD partner companies and evaluate potential next steps. We remain firm
in our belief that HD DVD is the format best suited to the wants and needs
of the consumer.

Press Contact
Corporate Communications Office
Keisuke Ohmori
+81-3-3457-2105
http://www.toshiba.co.jp/contact/media.htm

All the member companies need to file joint suit against Warner for breach of contract and they should request a high enough compensation (25% of each BluRay disc they sell would be less than adequate, but obtainable) that the sale of BD becomes difficult to justify. That could help kill off the momentum of BluCrap!
Here's a chance for the vastly superior HD-DVD camp to really make an impact in the destruction of BR.

Last edited:
I think Microsoft has got to take some of the blame here.

They are finaly going to release (Yet another version) a HDDVD X-box 360 when they should have done it when they did the elite-version.

That would certainly have helped the number of players sold and perhaps the number of disks.

Im a bit shocked but still sure that if a version does win it will be HD not BR.

Important note here is that Warners will still produce HDDVD discs until end of MAY so things could change.

All the member companies need to file joint suit against Warner for breach of contract and they should request a high enough compensation (25% of each BluRay disc they sell would be less than adequate, but obtainable) that the sale of BD becomes difficult to justify. That could help kill off the momentum of BluCrap!
Here's a chance for the vastly superior HD-DVD camp to really make an impact in the destruction of BR.

God you're adorable. I want you in a plush doll format, so I can hug and snuggle with you at all times.

I think Microsoft has got to take some of the blame here.

They are finaly going to release (Yet another version) a HDDVD X-box 360 when they should have done it when they did the elite-version.

That would certainly have helped the number of players sold and perhaps the number of disks.

Im a bit shocked but still sure that if a version does win it will be HD not BR.

Important note here is that Warners will still produce HDDVD discs until end of MAY so things could change.

Actually, MS is looking pretty smart. If BD does win, they can just produce a BD addon for the Xbox and move on, assuming the firmware can be updated to play BD.

I had to myself a passing idea of something similar last night. Mainly out of sheer annoyance.

Specifically taking Warners to the small claims court for my paying almost £500 for a HD-DVD player and 23 movies based largely on their repeated claims at the time of my purchasing the HD-DVD player (i.e November) that they had no intentions of leaving HD-DVD and would be remaining dual format. (As I truly with complete honesty went Hidef almost solely to get Warners movies (e.g Superman, Batman, the Matrix and such).

If its only £500 you could go to the Judge Judy style small claims court and not worry about any costs if you lose the case (which you probably might but at least it would show them how Pis**d you are about Warners abrupt decision).

I was really enjoying my HD-DVD experience too :(

Last edited:
God you're adorable. I want you in a plush doll format, so I can hug and snuggle with you at all times.

Um, thanks, I think. ;)

I had to myself a passing idea of something similar last night. Mainly out of sheer annoyance.

Specifically taking Warners to the small claims court for my paying almost £500 for a HD-DVD player and 23 movies based largely on their repeated claims at the time of my purchasing the HD-DVD player (i.e November) that they had no intentions of leave
Well....that's not a bad idea. I just may take you up on that idea and take them to small claims court in Illinois seeking $1200 for the original (standalone) player, plus the extra fee for the for BluRay support in three other players, at 45% of price each. :)
If I loose I'm only out $125. If I win I could probably get $2200 AND then post all about it here (with court doc images too) to encourage others to do it. Then it could spread to VideoHelp and AVS.... DD...
I wonder what would happen if 500,000 people (the estimated market level for standalone BR) all sued for $1000. Then all the laptop buyers could sue for a few thousand dollars as well saying they could have gotten HD-DVD laptops for $1500 less....
And just before the dust settles on that, we could then all file a joint class-action criminal suit for false advertising and seeking compensation for for all the (other format) discs we have not bought paying extra for BluRay discs.
Delusions of grandeur I know; but does anyone remember the BETAMAX lawsuits?

Well....that's not a bad idea. I just may take you up on that idea and take them to small claims court in Illinois seeking $1200 for the original (standalone) player, plus the extra fee for the for BluRay support in three other players, at 45% of price each. :)
If I loose I'm only out $125. If I win I could probably get $2200 AND then post all about it here (with court doc images too) to encourage others to do it. Then it could spread to VideoHelp and AVS.... DD...
I am not sure if you were serious or not (probably not) but I truly hope you do.

In the UK if you earn under a certain amount you are allowed to go to the small claims court for free.

If so you really wouldn't loose much, except possibly your pride for not winning the case. (But I guess that has already been well and truly dented by Warners doing all this just four days after new year).

If all these agreements had been in done and in place since September (which is what people on the net are suggesting), They should have really informed us prior to blowing a load on brand new soon to be worthless HD-DVD players at Christmas.

I am not sure if you were serious or not (probably not) but I truly hope you do.

In the UK if you earn under a certain amount you are allowed to go to the small claims court for free.

If so you really wouldn't loose much, except possibly your pride for not winning the case. (But I guess that has already been well and truly dented by Warners doing all this just four days after new year).

If all these agreements had been in done and in place since September (which is what people on the net are suggesting), They should have really informed us prior to blowing a load on brand new soon to be worthless HD-DVD players at Christmas.

Semi; first I need to look into WHO to sue. The company or just some members of!

Lol - good luck. You made the mistake to support the wrong format, I don't think you'll be able to do much about it.

Lol - good luck. You made the mistake to support the wrong format, I don't think you'll be able to do much about it.

Huh? Who said HD DVD was the wrong format? Is this flamebait?

I selected the right format - HD DVD. I will *always* be able to play my un-DRM'd, unencrypted movies that I rightfully purchased for the unforseeable future... in the way I see fit. This may not necessarily be so with BD and the implementation of BD+.

Seriously, dude, if you're a Blu-Ray fanboi go back to blu-ray.com and mutually fellate all the others there. We don't need your kind here.

Seriously, dude, if you're a Blu-Ray fanboi go back to blu-ray.com and mutually fellate all the others there. We don't need your kind here.

from http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=4

"While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters."

Consider this a warning. :policeman:

Lostinlodos,

To be correct: I didn't mean to insinuate the format is bad as it is - I just said you made the wrong choice. Ok, maybe I should have expressed it more clearly. Personally - I think it's fairly silly to try and sue... (seems to be the USA's national sport, insn't it?) I don't think there will be much to gain out of it... I said it before and will say it again: on the technical side both formats have things going for them and against them, neither is perfect. Blu Ray marketing was just way better. Unfortunate for the people who have many HD DVD discs, but that's reality...

SwollenGoat,

I certainly need no lecture from somebody who admitted to piracy a few days & who doesn't even know how to read forum rules + spell properly. You have been warned twice now in 2 days time: we do not need YOUR kind here. Learn nettiquette & contribute properly , or go somewhere else.

To clarify:
I posess both HD DVD, Blu Ray discs and players and I have supported both technologies by purchasing media and hardware for them, though I noticed pretty early on that HD DVD was not gaining the momentum in both sales and industry support it needed. It's to early to say it is dead, but let's say a serious blow has been received and we're just waiting for the KO.

Back