• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Rented Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

therivetman

The studios need to put a special protection on rented movies that none of the programs will copy. Then there would be no argument against fair use as rented copies could not be copied without changing the copying programs illegally. If SlySoft and all of the other copy programs are serious about fair use on movies you've bought and are truely against copying rented material then they would leave anydvd as it it and there would be no need for further updates. It's illegally copying of rented movies that is causing all the problems. What say all?

We all know that copying DVDs that you don't own is illegal.
Why bother with DVD Protection? It gets broken and its a waste of money.
DVDs that are usually over protected will not play correctly in a DVD player.
What counts is: quality of the DVD, so it should play everywhere. Protections will only make the DVD play incorrectly. Anyway, anyone copying rented DVDs will eventually get caught. ;)

The studios need to put a special protection on rented movies that none of the programs will copy. Then there would be no argument against fair use as rented copies could not be copied without changing the copying programs illegally. If SlySoft and all of the other copy programs are serious about fair use on movies you've bought and are truely against copying rented material then they would leave anydvd as it it and there would be no need for further updates. It's illegally copying of rented movies that is causing all the problems. What say all?
That would never work. The Blockbusters and other rental companys sell these used discs, and then they turn form rentals to owned. Would you have them discard them after they are not renting anymore?

While I understand your point I can't disagree more.

Creating two different types of disc for every release would put an unfair burden on rental stores. They would now be hobbled with a protected disc when normal stores wouldn't. As has been mentioned rental stores sell used discs so what happens then? Rental stores also sell brand new discs. What type of disc would they sell when it was brand new?

I think you are viewing this from a somewhat flawed perspective. You seem to think the Industry actually cares about the consumer. They don't. It's both illegal and wrong to copy a rental DVD so that disc would be protected? What about Dick who buys the retail DVD and copies it and gives it to Jane and Spot [which is also illegal]. It was actually cake to copy because there was no protection at all. So, you see, it can't happen. It's not a matter of legality.

In an ideal world software wouldn't be needed to remove copy protections because copy protection wouldn't exist. The Industry is so insane about stopping people from making backups of discs. The sad part is that while all these protections harm and burden the normal home consumer the actual DVD pirates merrily pump more counterfeits into the market. IMHO the Industry actually does more harm to itself than good with their high-and-mighty methods of controlling how, where and when media is viewed.

Have you ever noticed that there are a lot of people who hate people who make illegal copies of rentals but at the same time want to make a backup of their own legitimately purchased copy? If the Industry stepped back and viewed how their tactics come across they might think twice. Instead of appealing to the normal consumer to not accept, use or purchase counterfeit/copied/pirated discs they essentially are automatically labeling every consumer as a pirate and placing them on the same level as an actual DVD counterfeiter. A lot of people have the right to be insanely angry and insulted by that. So, instead of approaching the normal consumer with honey the Industry hands us vinegar. That's not a good way of winning support in my book.

As a final note, no, it's not copying of rental movies that is the real problem, IMHO. Counterfeiters in China and other countries pump out insane amounts of bogus discs. This far far outnumbers the amount of copied rental DVDs. This may also sound a bit odd but remember even people who idiotically copy a rented DVD they still paid for the rental and the Industry still made money off the rental store buying the disc. With the counterfeiters they illegally copy the movie and then they keep all the profits from selling those bogus discs.

Sorry to ramble. I just have a whole lot of ideas and opinions on the matter and I have a few billion unrelated things bouncing around in my head as I was writing this.

Last edited:
Hi therivetman,

Slysoft products aren't designed specifically for pirating. It's designed to give you the ability to duplicate and create backup copies of your DVDs, and allow you to play imported discs or discs that have a different region.

Regards,
Dave Morgan.

The studios need to put a special protection on rented movies that none of the programs will copy. Then there would be no argument against fair use as rented copies could not be copied without changing the copying programs illegally

That's the dumbest thing I've ever read.

Rental chains like Blockbuster sell used rentals all the time. And when someone buys one, it's their right to make a backup.

We all know that copying DVDs that you don't own is illegal.
Not true. It depends on the location in the world you are in. Legality varies even WITHIN some countries.
Why bother with DVD Protection? It gets broken and its a waste of money.
DVDs that are usually over protected will not play correctly in a DVD player.

What counts is: quality of the DVD, so it should play everywhere. Protections will only make the DVD play incorrectly.
EXACTLY!

Counterfeiters in China and other countries pump out insane amounts of bogus discs. This far far outnumbers the amount of copied rental DVDs.
And I'll argue that I don't care if the version is truly legitimate or not as long as it costs less. The problem is not that there are counterfeiters in China producing copies at REASONABLE prices but that the studios/distributors.... charge FAR IN EXCESS OF THE VALUE for the discs in most countries.
Want to stop "piracy" (I do NOT and WILL NOT recognize that term in regard to copying) of music and movies.....
Put out better movies and music. Then sell the better movies and music at reasonable prices. There have been very few DVDs I would have purchased at retail prices over the past 5 years. And a SINGLE American music album. If I didn't have access to distribution sources I wouldn't own most, if any, of my America and UK releases. They're worth $2-$5. I would NEVER pay $20 for a DVD video of an Hollywood film. Hollycrap is not worth that kind of money. How about paying actors what their worth and not that over-inflated rate they're being paid. $20-$50 per hour sounds reasonable to me. NOT ONE CURRENT AMERICAN ACTOR IS WORTH MILLIONS OF DOLLARS PER FILM. Then there wouldn't be multimillion dollar crap coming out. So you could price your crap accordingly; with lower reasonable prices.
I'm ranting. L8r:doh:

The studios need to put a special protection on rented movies that none of the programs will copy.

Two fews problems :
* First, you can buy an ald rented movie (in France, you can when the movie begin to be never rent anymore)
* Secondly in belgium, you can duplicate a movie you rent !

For the last point, i only have french document :
http://www.sabam.be/website/data/content_files/JOURNAL ADOLESCENTS/adolescents.pdf
on end of page 5 (on the left corner) :
it's write "ON PEUT : - Louer ou emprunter un CD, le copier à la maison et le garder pour soi." which means "you can : rent or borrow a CD, duplicate it and keep it for our own use."

The SABAM is the equivalent of french sacem in belgium, that is to say a professional association collecting payments of artists’ rights and distributing the rights to the original authors, composers and publishers.

I know this two points are very extreme (specially the second), but i don't think to give an unbreakable protection (something you can't duplicate) on rent disc will be a good solution.

Studios need to stop putting protections on anything. People will then be much more likely to go out and buy what they like. They aren't going to buy the DVD's they copy or download anyways. It will be much better for the industry. Studios are morons for not realizing this.

You never buy??

Not true. It depends on the location in the world you are in. Legality varies even WITHIN some countries.

EXACTLY!

And I'll argue that I don't care if the version is truly legitimate or not as long as it costs less. The problem is not that there are counterfeiters in China producing copies at REASONABLE prices but that the studios/distributors.... charge FAR IN EXCESS OF THE VALUE for the discs in most countries.
Want to stop "piracy" (I do NOT and WILL NOT recognize that term in regard to copying) of music and movies.....
Put out better movies and music. Then sell the better movies and music at reasonable prices. There have been very few DVDs I would have purchased at retail prices over the past 5 years. And a SINGLE American music album. If I didn't have access to distribution sources I wouldn't own most, if any, of my America and UK releases. They're worth $2-$5. >>>>>I would NEVER pay $20 for a DVD video of an Hollywood film.<<<<<< Hollycrap is not worth that kind of money. How about paying actors what their worth and not that over-inflated rate they're being paid. $20-$50 per hour sounds reasonable to me. NOT ONE CURRENT AMERICAN ACTOR IS WORTH MILLIONS OF DOLLARS PER FILM. Then there wouldn't be multimillion dollar crap coming out. So you could price your crap accordingly; with lower reasonable prices.

THEN "WHAT ON" AND "WHY?" DO YOU USE ANYDVD?

* Secondly in belgium, you can duplicate a movie you rent !

pseudo555 Are you sure? i am from Belgium and no way i can do that!:disagree:
Shouldn't it be Holland, the Netherlands?:bowdown:

Oh I think we all know what it's used for, I would think most if not all have done it, just don't talk about it. You know, once or twice here and there. :agree:

1) I buy DVDs from distributors, for a fraction of the retail price. Just like the stores and rental companies do. Like I said their worth $3-$5 or so. Or even the $12 I pay for most Sony titles. But never $20, $30... for American films. I buy, I back up, I store the original and watch the copy. By keeping the original in pristine condition it retains it's value for collecting purposes.
2) I buy MANY (as in 30+ per month) imported Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Baltic, East European, West and South Asian, African.... films that are not always Region ALL. AnyDVD allows me to not only back up those imports but also play originals in my computer drives.
3) AnyDVD allows me to not set region codes in my software or the hardware region code, which I am morally against and refuse to set.
3.5) I rent about 60 international films a month from multiple rental companies, AnyDVD allows me to watch films with extreme and outlandish copyright protections that would otherwise not play even in region-free-code-free-all-media HOME players!
4) AnyDVD-HD allows me to watch HD-DVD, BluRay, and inadvertently HVD 2.5 discs on a non-compliant systems.
5) AnyDVD-HD (again inadvertently) allows me to burn HDR and BDR discs on my burner on a non-compliant system with Nero.
6) AnyDVD allows me to use CloneDVDMobile to find even the most deeply hidden "easter eggs" on DVDs so that I can watch them without having to enter "up, down, up, down, left, right, left, right, A, B, A, C, A, B, B, A" ;) on the controller. (How many remember that code?)

Oh I think we all know what it's used for, I would think most if not all have done it, just don't talk about it. You know, once or twice here and there. :agree:
Making legal backups of DVD video media within the boundaries of WTO/WTA regulations. :D
That's what you're talking about right. :p

pseudo555 Are you sure? i am from Belgium and no way i can do that!:disagree:
Shouldn't it be Holland, the Netherlands?:bowdown:

Check the link, there is also a news on bluehardwre (bhmag) about this fact.
Your sacam allow you to copy a rent disc even if you don't own the disc. ;)

Hi

Your statement makes me ponder do you work in the industry, as why would someone want promote more restrictions without financial gain. Who in their right mind is going to add more protection when for the last few years its been broken, look at RipGuard, what a pathetic attempt to prevent copying. I want less protection, not more as legally us consumers are paying for "modified" dvd movies, as we were never asked if we wanted copy protection were we? Maybe the consumers should stand up and say we wont purchase any dvd movies with any copy protection at all.

Its about time us consumers had more say about whats going on, and not have these system forced upon us with no choice. When I purchase a dvd, I should have the legal right to make a backup copy to protect the original as often as I wish as long as im not selling it and its only for my personal use, and in order to do that i have to purchase an application to remove it because of the studio - therefore I should claim compensation.

Rodney

I agree with you Rodney, this user is just jealous that Slysoft can break any protection that they can devise. It makes me wonder just what he hopes to gain here. ;)

The studios need to put a special protection on rented movies that none of the programs will copy.
In Australia it is illegal to segment the market like that. That is why when Warner printed "this disc is not for rental" on their retail discs the rental industry took them to court and won. They had to destroy tens of thousands of discs. They still release "rental version" discs prior to retail versions, by price-fixing (ie charging a wholesale price too high for retail). I happen to feel that is also a breach of our laws. Of course they don't do it with video games; no with CD's.

Also, rental piracy represents a very small proportion of piracy.

How about paying actors what their worth and not that over-inflated rate they're being paid. $20-$50 per hour sounds reasonable to me. NOT ONE CURRENT AMERICAN ACTOR IS WORTH MILLIONS OF DOLLARS PER FILM. Then there wouldn't be multimillion dollar crap coming out. So you could price your crap accordingly; with lower reasonable prices.
What a load of crap. If you don't think they're worth it then put your money where your mouth is and prove it. You try working 18+hrs/day away from your family 7 days a week and then tell me you don't deserve to be compensated more then $20-50/hr!

And again, IMO studios shouldn't be realsing "rental versions" at all!

What a load of crap. If you don't think they're worth it then put your money where your mouth is and prove it. You try working 18+hrs/day away from your family 7 days a week and then tell me you don't deserve to be compensated more then $20-50/hr!

And again, IMO studios shouldn't be realsing "rental versions" at all!

Alright I will, I have one Job (paid) and two volunteer positions.
I drive a truck for 17c to 32c per mile for 12-14 hours a shift. At a national base for computing mph to hourly rate of 52mph that's $8.84-16.64 per hour. There's my money where my mouth is.
I then come home and and spend hours testing/watching and writing reviews of software, hardware, and film for four different magazines (all under the Ziff Davis flag) in three languages.
ON TOP OF THAT I take 4 hours of my time EVERY Tuesday AND on debate/election polling days to lead the town hall conference call for a regional political group.
I don't see to many AMERICAN/BRITISH actors/actresses (I know there ARE a few good/caring ones out there though) working/running 20+ hours a day, 6-7 days a week, 52 weeks a year; for less than $20/hr and a few free DVDs or some new computer gear, AND giving back to the community.

Adjusted for price inflation outside of China, the average NAME Asian actor/actress makes US$8-$15 an hour, lessers will make US$50 per day, and the poor stuntmen/stuntwomen who do REAL stunt work (not the western CGI crap and no contact work) make even less, around US$30 A DAY. And they are HAPPY to make that. I'm sorry, there is just no reason for ANYONE to make a million dollars. EVER.

On the rental issue, I/we may not agree with different versions of the film for different outlets, but I DO understand it. Using BlockBuster as an example because their the one I know best (behind the scenes): they wholly own about 2000 stores under various names. That's a minimum of $2000 PER TITLE that they spend, on roughly 12 titles per week... and that larger titles they buy 5-10+ copies.... Plus add in the 16 minimum copies they buy of EVERY new release for the online service..... It makes sense, I guess, to give them a $1-$5 "lesser" version.
Check this link out to get a general idea, it's a compiled weekly national release list based on 3 secondary distribution companies: http://videoeta.com
Multiply the total number on that list by 16 to get the number of single discs they buy for online RENTAL, per month. A lesser version then makes alot more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back