• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Copying blu-ray discs is now cost effective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruby

Disclaimer: Do not copy Blu-Ray discs you don't own, this post is for informational purposes only

Blu-Ray Burner = ~$300 (LG GGC H20L)
Blu-Ray blank = $13 (Verbatim single layer)
Blu-Ray blank = $30 (Panasonic double layer)
blockbuster rental = ~$3.50

Blu-ray dvd average purchase from amazon = ~$25

Blu-Ray copy from blockbuster = $13 + $3.50 (single layer) = $16.50 = $8.50 savings
Blu-Ray copy from blockbuster = $30 + $3.50 (dual layer) = $33.50 = $8.50 loss

$300 / $8.50 = ~35 single layer discs must be copied until cost of drive is covered

(I think all blu-ray discs to date are single layer)

Disclaimer: Do not copy Blu-Ray discs you don't own, this post is for informational purposes only

Blu-Ray copy from blockbuster = $13 + $3.50 (single layer) = $16.50 = $8.50 savings

$300 / $8.50 = ~35 single layer discs must be copied until cost of drive is covered

dont talk about rented movies please! and there are many double layer movies! please close..

Nope not all Blu-rays are single layer, I have a lot that are dual layer discs. Also with all the Bogof offers at the moment it's quite easy to buy an original for around $13-14

Your post has two mistakes I think.
I think the GGC-H20L is just able to read Blu ray and HDDVD not to write on BD-R or HDDVD-R or am I mistaken?:confused: You need an GGW-H20L or GGW-H10N which are around 450€ I think. The second mistake you are doing in your calculation is that in fact most of the Blu ray movies out there are Double layer disc movies. The studios do this because then it is very expensive to make a backup so you almost could buy the movie twice.

(I know you don't mean anything bad with that, but I don't like the calculation with the blockbuster rental. :disagree: We are here to make backups and not copies :agree: :policeman:)

I think the GGC-H20L is just able to read Blu ray and HDDVD not to write on BD-R or HDDVD-R or am I mistaken?

He might have been looking at page two of the spec sheet on LG's site. It specifies that it writes Blu-Ray, and it's wrong. This is confusing a lot of people. LG is notorious for putting out bad information on their products.

The GGW-H20L also shows as having a $399.99 list price, which is also way under the current "street price" in the US ($450 - $500). Still, it's about half the price that such a player cost a year ago.

The second mistake you are doing in your calculation is that in fact most of the Blu ray movies out there are Double layer disc movies.

I don't know about "most," we really need a reliable database with information like that. But there are quite a few out there, and you're right... for dual layer Blu-Ray movies, it costs more to rent and copy them than it does to buy them new. However, as with all new technology, the prices will continue to drop with time and it will eventually become cost effective to copy (steal) them.

He might have been looking at page two of the spec sheet on LG's site. It specifies that it writes Blu-Ray, and it's wrong. This is confusing a lot of people. LG is notorious for putting out bad information on their products.

The GGW-H20L also shows as having a $399.99 list price, which is also way under the current "street price" in the US ($450 - $500). Still, it's about half the price that such a player cost a year ago.

I don't know about "most," we really need a reliable database with information like that. But there are quite a few out there, and you're right... for dual layer Blu-Ray movies, it costs more to rent and copy them than it does to buy them new. However, as with all new technology, the prices will continue to drop with time and it will eventually become cost effective to copy (steal) them.

correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the whole problem with this is that bluray discs without AACS will eventually be banned from playing? Am I mistaken that discs without AACS are technically not allowed and only a temporary exception has been made for testing purposes?

No I don't think so. Yes the specs of a BD-ROM say that it has to have AACS on it, but what if you are not planning to use BD-ROM?You could also use BD-R. What would happen if you wanted to put some holiday videos which you made yourself with your HD camcorder on a Blu ray and want to play them back in your bought standalone player?Do you have to encrypt them with AACS that you could do that? I don't think so. All you need is a standalone player which is able to play back BD-R disks.
AnyDVDHD and the thing that you can play back your Blu ray movies without AACS is based on the same stuff too (if I understodd James correctly). AnyDVDHD rips of AACS and shows PowerDVD a BD-R which PowerDVD is able to play back. The only difference here is that on the BD-R are Hollywood videos instead of holiday videos.

Copying any commercial disc is only cost effective if you watch it numerous times. I use AnyDVD to copy r****l discs to my HTPC for viewing at my leisure, sort of like timeshifting. Once I've viewed the movie I delete it to make space for new ones. I rarely have the time to watch a movie more than once, which is why I rent rather than buy.

Considering my rental fees from either Blockbuster or Netflix amounts to less than $1.00 per movie, I'd have to watch a title quite a few times in order to break even. If I do find something that's worth keeping I usually wait until it comes on HBO or one of the other FIOS HD channels I receive and then record it on my S3 Tivo. I can extract the recording and back it up on DVD-R discs as homebrew HD-DVDs using the process outlined in the AVSForums. The content remains in the original HD format with the AC-3 audio intact. The discs play back as HD-DVDs on any HD-DVD player and I don't need an expensive HD burner or media. My $25 Sony/NEC/Optiarc DVD burner from Newegg does the trick just fine using standard DVD-R discs (+R and RW discs as well as DL discs also work).

from http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=4

Using or promoting the use of ILLEGAL DOWNLOAD SITES and the COPYING of RENTED DVD's are NOT SUPPORTED.
OWNER's RIGHTs ARE.
This topic along with that of CRACKS is NOT TO BE TOLERATED!

:policeman:

Thread closed. :policeman:

I use AnyDVD to copy r****l discs to my HTPC for viewing at my leisure, sort of like timeshifting.

Considering my rental fees from either Blockbuster or Netflix amounts to less than $1.00 per movie

I will consider banning people in the future if they discuss copying rental discs.

Consider this a warning. :policeman:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back