• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Pan's Labyrinth Audio Help for Dummies

schlim66

Ok, I admit it, I'm not all that technical! Can someone tell me how to enable the audio track in Pans Labyrinth? I know theres no english, but I can't even get the spanish to work. I'm using AnyDVD 6.3.0.3 and PWDVD 3319f. I use the Xbox HD-DVD drive. I have a 5.1 speaker setup and a X-Fi soundcard. I start it from the disk itself, not a backup. The logo screens play audio fine as well as the menu screen. When I go to movie setup menu, there is only Spanish DTS 7.1 audio with no other choices. I check the english subtitles and no sound at all. Every other movie has played fine from the disk.

Help!
Thanks,
Schlim66

you can try to edit the xpl file and delete all other languages that you dont need. If you need help write me a message. Regards

I'm playing it direct from the DVD. If I rip it, what do I use to edit it?

Schlim66

Last edited:
I'm playing it direct from the DVD. If I rip it, what do I use to edit it?

Schlim66

You don't need to rip it. Edit the xpl file that AnyDVD HD puts in your My Documents folder. AnyDVD HD will apply it to the disc in real time overriding the one on the disc.

Just for fun, I downloaded the Japanese version of ArcSoft Total Media Extreme and installed it. Once you figure out the Japanese menu, the movie plays in their Digital theatre without any problems! So what is the problem with PowerDVD? Anyone have any hints or help? If not, it looks like I'll be dumping PowerDVD next Tues when the english version of ArcSoft is released.

Schlim66

The list of PowerDVD's problems is far too long for this forum. :D Which one of you wants to choose between an older version that works and the new version that supports profile 1.1. Anyone? No? Hmmm. :) That's the choice we're left with. And while James' script to switch versions is great and works, it's still an inconvenience to have to do that in the first place. I'm going to let you guys play with the Arcsoft stuff for a month or so and if I don't see any major complaints, I'll probably switch over to it myself.

samuri please tell me how it works with 2 pdvd versions. I start to hate powerdvd..

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?p=74149#post74149

Go there and get James' scripts. Unzip them to a folder somewhere. Then follow my directions carefully.

-Install 3516 FIRST
-Copy the PowerDVD folder to PowerDVD3516
-Install 3104

Now you can use the scripts to switch between them by running the one that corresponds with the version you want to use. Obviously if you want different versions, edit the scripts and change the dir names.

thank you, i will try it later.

i need the new version, if i read @doom9 you for the ned blu-ray profile 1.1 you need to upgrade or you can't watch the new movies. :disagree:

NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHH. Sorry, I don't mean to freak out, but, this misconception that profile 1.1 is REQUIRED to WATCH the new movies is very wrong. It's ONLY required for the new picture in picture special features found on new discs like Resident Evil Apocalypse and War. It has NOTHING to do with the main movie playback.

I thought the audio wasn't playing on Pan's Labyrinth HDDVD as well. But it does play, but for me it doesn't start until about 3 minutes into the movie. It starts at the exact same spot for me each time - I don't know if that is how the audio track is or if this is some odd bug. But I watched the whole movie the other day and the audio worked fine except for the beginning ...

I thought the audio wasn't playing on Pan's Labyrinth HDDVD as well. But it does play, but for me it doesn't start until about 3 minutes into the movie. It starts at the exact same spot for me each time - I don't know if that is how the audio track is or if this is some odd bug. But I watched the whole movie the other day and the audio worked fine except for the beginning ...

What build of PowerDVD are you using?

Mine with 3319a doesn't play the audio either on the Pan's Labyrinth HD-DVD. I don't think my build of PowerDVD can decode the DTS-HD MA 7.1 track. I thought DD+ was mandatory for HD-DVD, but it seems not. I will be trying 3516 later.

What build of PowerDVD are you using?

Mine with 3319a doesn't play the audio either on the Pan's Labyrinth HD-DVD. I don't think my build of PowerDVD can decode the DTS-HD MA 7.1 track. I thought DD+ was mandatory for HD-DVD, but it seems not. I will be trying 3516 later.
I have 3319a. I, too, thought that it was PowerDVD not able to decode the DTS-HD MA 7.1 track - at least that's what I thought until the audio started playing.

I have 3319a. I, too, thought that it was PowerDVD not able to decode the DTS-HD MA 7.1 track - at least that's what I thought until the audio started playing.

Thanks a lot. I had the same problem, it started playing at about 2:40 or so. Weird.

EDIT:
It seems that at about 2:42 the audio switches to 5.1, from the info window. Just for a moment. If you keep the movie playing, the audio will stay at 5.1, but if you jump the movie, it will revert to 7.1 (it shows as "8.0" in the info overlay), and the sound will go away again.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot. I had the same problem, it started playing at about 2:40 or so. Weird.

EDIT:
It seems that at about 2:42 the audio switches to 5.1, from the info window. Just for a moment. If you keep the movie playing, the audio will stay at 5.1, but if you jump the movie, it will revert to 7.1 (it shows as "8.0" in the info overlay), and the sound will go away again.

Has anyone found a fix so the audio is always on?

Has anyone got the audio to work in powerdvd for Pan's Labyrinth?

I did, I had to use build 3516. So now I have that and 3319a installed (for BD+ discs). It seems there is a bug with 3319a (and maybe previous and some later builds) that it can't extract the DTS-HD core of 7.1 tracks properly. Mind you, the core is 5.1, as seen in 3516's info overlay.

Back