• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

can nero convert widescreen to fullscreen

wade7575

I was wondering if nero could convert widescreen to fullscreen.or does anyone know of a program that can.

If you're talking about a DVD, Nero can't do it but PgcEdit can. As I still own a full screen TV (32" Sony), I convert all my widescreen backups to fullscreen. Keep in mind this method only converts 16x9 (1.75/1, 1.85/1) to fullscreen. If the DVD is the super narrow 2.35/1, 2.40/1, it will only convert it to 16x9.

Last edited:
What an awful thought, lol. I've still got mostly fullscreen TVs in my house, and I wouldn't touch fullscreen (unless something was filmed that way, as any pre-1955 film and the majority of television shows are) with a ten-foot poll.

It's sacrilege, for a film enthusiast.

It's just a matter of what you want. I'd much rather view something using all of my screen rather than turning a 32" TV into a 19" TV. I notice much more the screen taken away from me rather than what I miss on the sides. I paid for the TV (a 32", not a 19") to view the whole screen, not to watch a big part of it turned into a black screen. I've converted over a hundred movies to fullscreen and when watching them, not once did I ever go, "gee I wonder what I'm missing on the sides". It just never occurs to me. The day I get a widescreen TV is when my viewing will change but the same thing will apply, I'll still want to view the entire screen. To me, it's not about a widescreen vs fullscreen debate. It's more about how much of my screen I want to see. To each his own viewing.

Last edited:
Nero can not convert widescreen to fullscreen. There are very few people interested in doing that. You'll need to invest in a high-end editor that can mimic (or macro) a task and set it to crop the sides of every frame automatically, or spend an hour or so setting up VirtualDub filters into a 3-part script.
The easiest way to convert all your widescreen videos into antiquated full screen format is to buy a pan-n-scan capable DVD player. The majority of people just don't do things like this.
Please pardon my disgust. 8) :D

Nero can not convert widescreen to fullscreen. There are very few people interested in doing that. You'll need to invest in a high-end editor that can mimic (or macro) a task and set it to crop the sides of every frame automatically, or spend an hour or so setting up VirtualDub filters into a 3-part script.
The easiest way to convert all your widescreen videos into antiquated full screen format is to buy a pan-n-scan capable DVD player. The majority of people just don't do things like this.
Please pardon my disgust. 8) :D

I've owned several different brands of DVD players and I have yet to have one that would convert the size of the picture...other than the Zoom feature. :confused:

I've owned several different brands of DVD players and I have yet to have one that would convert the size of the picture...other than the Zoom feature. :confused:

You need to set the output setting (or TV setting) to pan-n-scan in compatible players.

I have done that and havbe never had one change anything. Maybe I got the wrong ones? :confused:

Try posting your issue about Pan-N-Scan not working under the Hardware threads with your make/model. Someone should be able to help you there.

I believe nero MAY be able to do that. When you use recode you have the option to crop some of the screen to save on space. Usually the black bars. I would think if you just cropped it to a 4:3 ratio it may work. But then you do loose that part.

Pan & Scan should be the way to go though.

As I stated earlier, PgcEdit can do it. The Pan&Scan feature of a DVD is the Zoom feature. If the DVD movie is programed only for widescreen, the DVD player cannot convert it, other than using the zoom feature. Problem with using the zoom feature is some players display the zoom on the screen (2x, 4x, etc) that cannot be taken off (mine does this).

To convert using PgcEdit. After ripping the DVD, open PgcEdit and open the Video_TS folder with it. If you ripped movie only, PgcEdit will only show the one title on the left hand side. If the whole DVD was ripped, you have to look for that entry (just look for the longest time). Right click on it and choose "Domain Stream Attributes". In that box, there will be a check in the 16x9 box. Click it which will move the check to the 4x3 box below. That's it. Close that box and PgcEdit and it will ask you to save. The whole process takes about 30 seconds (as it only changes the one small video vts .ifo and .bup). BTW, Pgcedit makes a backup of the files it changes if you wanted to have both.

Last edited:
I've seen certain settings in a DVD player that will stretch a fullscreen image out over a widescreen TV (which is also terrible, and shouldn't be done) but never the opposite (aside from the aforementioned zoom feature).

Back