• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

What does it mean?

sheep

I thought game jackal isn't developed anymore.
Or has slysoft bought game jackal now, like they did with clonecd?

Does this mean that CloneCD will no longer be developed ?

Does this mean that CloneCD will no longer be developed ?

Isn't Game Jackal more of a Virtual Drive-type application for games, though? Unless Slysoft decides to integrate the two, CloneCD is still the one that can actually backup a lot of copy-protected game discs. I'd hope development doesn't stop on it.

Game Jackal is a PC application developed by Australian based company Jacal Consulting that allows users to play PC game titles without the need for the game's media to be in the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive. The program functions similar to a virtual drive, however instead of making use of large disc images, Game Jackal uses a proprietary format which takes up considerable less storage space by working to only capture data the game requires to run.

Game Jackal is advertised to work with around 90% of games on the market, including some of today's newest titles such as Sid Meier's Railroads!, Neverwinter Nights 2 and Need For Speed Carbon. A full list of compatible games tested (to date) can be found on their Successfully Played list, compiled by Game Jackal users. While the authors admit not every title is bound to work with Game Jackal, support is gradually improving and regular updates which combat various bugs and blacklisting, as well as expanded functionality in the building of its profiles.

Game Jackal works by establishing a game profile which is used to store all of the game's relevant data. At first, you are required to have an original copy of the game in order to perform an initial boot so Game Jackal can successfully 'capture' the game for use later. If a first attempt at capturing a profile does not succeed, it may be performed any time after and anything else Game Jackal picks up will simply be added to the profile.

Game Jackal is no longer an officially supported program, with their website stating only a single line on their front page: "We regretfully announce that due to circumstances beyond our control, we are unable to continue selling Game Jackal."

Legality

The legality of the usage of Game Jackal is still constantly being discussed. Its authors claim that the program is completely within legal boundaries due to the fact that:

* The profiles are designed to be created from original copies of game CDs.
* The profiles can not be publicly distributed.
* The program does not modify any of the game's contents or data.

As of 20th January 2007 Game Jackal has ceased to be developed. The GameJackal website has been taken down and now the following message is displayed along with the Game Jackal logo, We regretfully announce that due to circumstances beyond our control, we are unable to continue selling Game Jackal. This seems to be because of changing Australian copyright laws which came into effect as of 1st January 2007.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5b/Game_jackalCRv28.png

CloneCD and Game Jackal aren't not close to being the same thing, CloneCD should still be developed. Game Jackal is an emulator.

How it workz

Game Jackal creates a small profile from the game CD which outgoes the copy protection. You need to have the original CD/DVD in order to create a profile.
Once a profile is complete, you can launch the game without the CD :D

Game Jackal creates a small profile from the game CD which outgoes the copy protection. You need to have the original CD/DVD in order to create a profile.
Once a profile is complete, you can launch the game without the CD :D
I already posted that.

I have never used Game Jackal so I assumed it was like CloneCD. I didnt know it was an emulator. Guess I should have used Google before posting. My bad now ducking my head in shame.Its off to the woodshed and 50 lashes with the foam bat
LOL

I have never used Game Jackal so I assumed it was like CloneCD. I didnt know it was an emulator. Guess I should have used Google before posting. My bad now ducking my head in shame.Its off to the woodshed and 50 lashes with the foam bat
LOL
I have never even heard of it before. Now you know though. :)

What will this program hold over the free Daemon Tools I wonder?

Edit: I'm not sure if Slysoft wants me talking about the program.

Anyway, nice stuff is coming . . . :agree:

Last edited:
And if you compress the profile library folder, you can save even more storage space.
I have 11 games within Game Jackal and my profiles only use 138MB storage space.

And to create a profile, for 99% of all games you just need to start the game and exit when you reach the main menu. Then Game Jackal works @ the profile for some seconds or some minutes and you are done :D

Also you don't need to load images or any other stuff... just click on the game's shortcut you've created with Game Jackal and that's it :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't Game Jackal more of a Virtual Drive-type application for games, though? Unless Slysoft decides to integrate the two, CloneCD is still the one that can actually backup a lot of copy-protected game discs. I'd hope development doesn't stop on it.

I like your input.

Back