• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

New Sony DVD player that blocks pirated discs?

rrose1968

I was talking to a friend yesterday who said she and her hubby recently bought a high end Sony dvd player and when she tried to play a backup, it played for 10-15 minutes, stopped, and gave a message.

I don't know what the message was word for word, nor do I know the model they bought but I will find out. I've been doing searches and found nothing so far so I was wondering if anyone else had seen/heard info about it.

Sony players are natorious and picky about not playing back a backed up DVD. Using +R's and booktypeing to DVD-ROM usually cures this.

You don't understand...it's not a -R +R issue. She said it actually brought up a message that said the disc was pirated/copied/ whatever. Up until then it played fine.

You don't understand...it's not a -R +R issue. She said it actually brought up a message that said the disc was pirated/copied/ whatever. Up until then it played fine.

So you are positive that she booktyped to DVD-ROM on the +R's? There was an issue with a samsung model and this happening but booktyping was a quick fix for the meantime.

give your friend a call,and then report back the name and model number of the player.
i cant see how the player would know it was a copy of a movie dvd.
it is probably a poor disc the movie was copied to and the player is struggling to read it.

She said it actually brought up a message that said the disc was pirated/copied/ whatever. Up until then it played fine.
if that message was true,it wouldn't have played part of the movie to start with.
i got a feeling the machine might have said something like 'unplayable' or 'dirty disc-please clean' when it stopped.

Last edited:
give your friend a call,and then report back the name and model number of the player.
i cant see how the player would know it was a copy of a movie dvd.
it is probably a poor disc the movie was copied to and the player is struggling to read it.

if that message was true,it wouldn't have played part of the movie to start with.
i got a feeling the machine might have said something like 'unplayable' or 'dirty disc-please clean' when it stopped.

It wasn't the discs. She tried several that did the same but her daughter tried the same ones and they were fine.

I may try an experiment with a +r and booktype it to DVD-ROM (I've only used -r's for years) and see what happens. I'll also get the model number and do more research in the meantime.

I had read before that -r's were compatible with more players than +r's that's why I used them, however that was probably 2-3 years ago that I read that. I also read that they were trying to develop technology to read watermarks in the disc, but that was over a year ago and haven't seen anything since then.

Last edited:
The Sony player has no idea if the disc is original, pirated or copied. I'm guessing that's a standard error message for that model.
As suggested previously...Use +R media booktyped to DVD-Rom.

I had read before that -r's were compatible with more players than +r's that's why I used them, however that was probably 2-3 years ago that I read that.
This used to be the outcome now days things has changed. +R booktyped to DVD-ROM is the best and most compatible as the player will see it as a DVD-ROM the same as the original.

I also read that they were trying to develop technology to read watermarks in the disc, but that was over a year ago and haven't seen anything since then.

They are trying to see if they can put audio watermarking on HD media if I remember right and they are still experimenting with it so nothing is set as of yet and this doesn't effect standard DVD's you buy now downloaded (paid) may have this already?

I had read before that -r's were compatible with more players than +r's

No. That's only true if the +R disc's booktype isn't changed to "dvd-rom"

And this issue with the Sony dvd player sounds similar to the problem involving Samsung dvd players that were actually performing a check for backups: click http://club.cdfreaks.com/1854167-post250.html
Dvd+rs booktyped to "dvd-rom" worked, while dvd-rs didn't

Last edited:
Ok, I found the model is a DVD/VHS Player SLV-D350D. What has happened, this person not being a techie "assumed" that's what it was doing. I asked her to tell me word for word what the message was:

ERROR: Disk cannot be accessed

So I said okay then, that helps. This I can work with... So now I will try some +R's with the booktype set to DVD-ROM.

Thanks for the info and I read the other link. So basically if the player thinks it's a DVD -R or +R it may give problems but setting the +R to "DVD-ROM" tells the player it's just a regular dvd? That's what it sound like. Anyway, I'll switch to those and see what happens.

Thanks for the info and I read the other link. So basically if the player thinks it's a DVD -R or +R it may give problems but setting the +R to "DVD-ROM" tells the player it's just a regular dvd? That's what it sound like.

Sort of, yeah.

I dont heared about any of these kind of players which could actually stop the pirated DVD. This could be a rumor and rest about the DVD that does not get played may be it has a glitch on it.

Final question: Assume that a player that doesn't work well with DVD-R's like this person's but works well with the +R with the ROM booktyping...does this mean that all -R's won't work, or is it a "hit & miss" deal?

Final question: Assume that a player that doesn't work well with DVD-R's like this person's but works well with the +R with the ROM booktyping...does this mean that all -R's won't work, or is it a "hit & miss" deal?

Mostly miss.

In the software (Any or Clone) is there a setting for the bookmarking or is it auotmatically programmed? Trying some +r's today and didn't see anything in menus. Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I downloaded what seems to be a cool utility that's easy to use called DVDInfoPro and according to it, both LG drives are already set for DVD-ROM for + and -r's (all formats actually). Vista machine I haven't checked yet.

Back