• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

What software are you using to ply an HD DVD ripped to the HDD

anderdea

A couple of questions.
1) I have a HP laptop with a Toshiba HD DVD player. I've ripped the HD DVD "Batman Returns" to the HDD. HP uses it's own "Quickplay" written by Cyberlink to play HD DVD's but won't let me play a ripped HD DVD from the folder on the HDD.

2) I have two HD DVD's, "Batman Returns" which plays fine. The HD DVD "NEXT" will load from the disc OK but I get a flashing green screen which blanks out the video about every 1/2 minute. All my software and drivers are up to date. Any ideas?

Most of us are currently ripping our discs to ISO format and then mounting them in Daemon Tools. We then use PowerDVD Ultra to play them back.

Is there an option in ANYDVDHD to rip as an ISO file (Didn't see one) or are you converting to ISO after it's ripped. Never heard of Daemon tools?

Know anything about the problem I'm having with the "NEXT' DVD flashing green screen. I'm also running Vista Ultimate on an HP dv9260nr laptop.

AnyDVD HD does not have the ability to rip to ISO. However, using CloneCD or ImgBurn or Nero with AnyDVD HD running in the background, you can create an ISO image of your disc that can then be mounted in Daemon Tools. (When you install, pay VERY close attention to ALL selections as it will attempt to install some spyware unless you uncheck it. It will run fine without it.).

Sorry, I have no idea about that issue. Could be a driver problem or some other issue.

A couple of questions.
1) I have a HP laptop with a Toshiba HD DVD player. I've ripped the HD DVD "Batman Returns" to the HDD. HP uses it's own "Quickplay" written by Cyberlink to play HD DVD's but won't let me play a ripped HD DVD from the folder on the HDD.

2) I have two HD DVD's, "Batman Returns" which plays fine. The HD DVD "NEXT" will load from the disc OK but I get a flashing green screen which blanks out the video about every 1/2 minute. All my software and drivers are up to date. Any ideas?

I've been ripping the files raw (with AnyDVD-HD) and then playing them in Nero ShowTime. I can also burn them using Nero BurningROM. Only trouble I've had so far with ShowTime is with BD+ discs.

I just downloaded a free copy of Nero Showtime. Hope it works with Vista Ultimate 64. I'll try it tonight. What file folder do you click on to play the ripped HD DVD? Is it the top level (name of DVD) or a folder within it?

I just downloaded a free copy of Nero Showtime. Hope it works with Vista Ultimate 64. I'll try it tonight. What file folder do you click on to play the ripped HD DVD? Is it the top level (name of DVD) or a folder within it?

Either one works, but if you have trouble with the top layer try the second (internal) folder.
(Just a note: if you have issues with some HD playback you may need the HD Plugin, I'd suggest you try out the player on everything else you can, like DVDs, HD folders and video files to see if you can like the program enough to make the plugin purchase.) Some people love it, some hate it. There really isn't much of a middle crowd. The price of the program and the plugin is about the same as the full PowerDVD package, so it was an easy decision to make for me, Nero doesn't 'enforce' many protections and lockouts, and has actively worked to bypass problems.

Thought I would give Nero Showtime a whirl to see how it compares to Cyberlink.

Well, unless I missed something, very strange that they would offer a trial and then prompt you to pay for an upgrade to view Blu-ray or HD DVD. Not to impressed!

I own the damn thing and can't get HD DVD playback to work! It crashes Showtime. My ISO images of Blu-ray don't play well, either. What a waste.

There was a thread about two or three months ago along these same lines. Seems like the only stable program was Arcsoft, but they have yet to release an english version.

Tried doing the MPC thing and wound loading a bunch of crap on my cpu to only get a black screen.

Is there nothing better than cyberlink to view HD DVD movies?

In a word...no. And it depresses the hell out of me. PowerDVD is manageable if you know what you're doing, but, it requires patience and James' kick @$$ scripts to change versions depending on what you're trying to play. I'm interested in the arcsoft stuff, but, it ain't out yet for english speaking people, so, we're still waiting. And there's no guarantee they won't be made to put in the same restrictions as Cyberlink in the future.

What scripts are you talking about?

Schlim66

Uh, well, the post seems to be gone now. It was a set of scripts to switch between different PowerDVD versions. Basically you'd install 3104, copy it to a PowerDVD3104 directory, then install 3516 so that you have both on your machine. Then using the batch files that James created, you can switch between the versions depending on the movie you're trying to play back. It works pretty well, but, there must be some reason why the post was removed.

mplayer

I don't have a windows box so I use mplayer (I think the OSX folks are in the same boat)

mplayer does a nice job of demuxing EVOs and playing both vc-1 and h264/avc files. The audio sometimes gets a bit out of sync (annoying).

Unfortunately, the E-AC3 patch has not been integrated into svn yet, but TrueHD support is being added (it may work already)

Things are getting better, but right now it takes a bit of magic on the command line (things like -fps=24000/1001 -demuxer lavf -aid 3 help a lot)

Uh, well, the post seems to be gone now. It was a set of scripts to switch between different PowerDVD versions. Basically you'd install 3104, copy it to a PowerDVD3104 directory, then install 3516 so that you have both on your machine. Then using the batch files that James created, you can switch between the versions depending on the movie you're trying to play back. It works pretty well, but, there must be some reason why the post was removed.

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?p=74149#post74149

The only reason a post would be deleted would be if it contained link to Cyberlink downloads. They contacted us and asked us politiely not to post links to downloads on this site.;)

There was a thread about two or three months ago along these same lines. Seems like the only stable program was Arcsoft, but they have yet to release an english version.

Tried doing the MPC thing and wound loading a bunch of crap on my cpu to only get a black screen.

Is there nothing better than cyberlink to view HD DVD movies?

What was the Arcsoft program?

How do you use the batch files?

Thanks.

How do you use the batch files?

Thanks.

Assuming you did what you quoted, you simply put the 2 batch files somewhere and run the one that corresponds to the version you wish to use. It will then copy the right directory and open up the version of PowerDVD you wanted.

Back