• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

any way to play hd dvd other than power dvd?

gbr

am i correct in assuming that power dvd is currently the only software that will play an hd dvd after it's been copied to hard disk by any dvd?

i have the xbox hd dvd player and any dvd. i'm able to copy hd dvd disks to hard drive without difficulty but power dvd will not play them because it doesn't like my video card. i own power dvd/windvd/cine player/theatertek and would not at all mind buying any necessary software but i will NOT change video cards. i watch hd television quite happily on this hardware.

i assume that i am out of luck for now. if so is there any announced plan for another dvd player to support hd dvd?

thanks.

No; Nero Showtime does a great job too. It's kind of finicky on what systems it will run on and may take some tweaking to get it to work completely on your system (and may require the HD plugin extension as well for complete support) but it has 89% positive rating on ZDNet and a 92% positive rating on ZT. Worth a try and the download is free.
http://www.nero.com/enu/nero8-introduction.html
:D

Last edited:
not nero showtime

nero showtime (with hd dvd plugin) does not support playback of commercial/purchased hd dvd's, only burning of your own disks and playback of those. their tech support says an update to support playback of commercial disk is coming in january.

nero showtime (with hd dvd plugin) does not support playback of commercial/purchased hd dvd's, only burning of your own disks and playback of those. their tech support says an update to support playback of commercial disk is coming in january.

Of course it does. I use Showtime for HD playback almost half a year now. Plays BD and HD DVD very well.

The only thing I can't get to play are backups of BD+ apart from that everything works

You're either misreading or reading one of the poor translation answers (remember the bulk of the Nero online/web support team does not speak English to this day). The only thing it does not fully support YET is BD+. The update is coming December 30th to pre-sale users, and early January to the general public to allow, or amend, the support for BD+ playback.
The update will be made automatically unless you set your software to "never connect to web". It also contains, btw, a hardware bypass for better compatibility with systems that are physically capable of playing the disc but have been suffering from problems of unknown origin anyway. It will now TELL you why it is crashing or freezing, and you can use the log code to check what you need to do to fix the issue.

Showtime Sucks

I have Nero 8 Showtime, and it sucks.

I have an AMD 4800+ X2, more then enough power for Powerdvd to play Blu Ray, but Showtime gags on everything.

without a decent graphics card I'd say your cpu will struggle with H264 Blu-ray discs, it's about the equivalent of a Pentium D 2.4.
I have showtime on a 2.16 C2D and it works fine with anything but BD+

Blu-Ray

Well I can tell you that the sony Vaio we have at work absolutely does not run well with the Simpsons movie. It is 100% HDCP, but its got a Pentium D proc in it. totaly stuttered playback. The Intel Q6600 Core2 Quad loves Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.

Wow, gonna need to upgrade to the core Duo I guess. Now that PowerDVD is a goner.

showtime for hd dvd playing

it was nero tech support that told me showtime would not play hd dvd disks. i've copied a disk to my hard disk with anydvd hd and tried playing off the disk directly, and always get the "Internal error. Cannot build graph..." error. it may be because it doesn't like my video card. could it be related to the fact that i've installed the trial version of nero. i don't mind paying for nero (i only want showtime) if it will work.

Wow, gonna need to upgrade to the core Duo I guess. Now that PowerDVD is a goner.

Just get a decent vid card with hardware accelearation for VC-1, h.264, etc. The ATI 2600 is a perfect solution for this as it supports hardware accelertion for all codecs. I have one is a Pentium D 3.0 Ghz and it plays back great. Only about 35% average cpu usage. As long as the cpu passes the playback test in powerdvd then you will do yourself a gret service by getting a decent vid card. Heaps cheaper to recycle an older pc and just add a new cheap vid card then buy a whole new board, cpu, ram.

it was nero tech support that told me showtime would not play hd dvd disks. i've copied a disk to my hard disk with anydvd hd and tried playing off the disk directly, and always get the "Internal error. Cannot build graph..." error. it may be because it doesn't like my video card. could it be related to the fact that i've installed the trial version of nero. i don't mind paying for nero (i only want showtime) if it will work.

Can you play it in powerdvd? I get that same error on my laptop that doesnt have a powerful enough vid card fro hd playback . Could just be hardware related.

re video card

i DO assume that none of these software programs will work on my system because they don't like my video card. i have a matrox card. it is not cheap. but it is perfect for my needs since i never play games! keeping it is a much higher priority for me than hd dvd playback. i do not want an ati or nvidia card in my system. fwiw i have several hdtv tuners that i uses with this system and the hd playback looks great either in a window or full screen on either of my two connected monitors (1920x1200, 1366x768). i think these software guys really think there are only two companies that make video cards.

If your still using a Matrox card then your pretty much scuppered, they're not fast enough to use for HD DVD or Blu-ray. Even Matrox recommend ATI or Nvidia cards when it comes to using the Matrox editing cards, and they haven't really done anything new or up to date for a couple of years

Back