• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Please stop modifying settings when installing new version over the top

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defenestration

AnyDVD is great and has regular updates, which is also great. However, it's very annoying to find that the installer has re-enabled Autostart and Automatically check for new version after installing a new version over the top of an older version. It may also re-enable other settings, but those are two that I specifically like disabled.

Please can you make the installer leave ALL existing settings as-is.

AnyDVD is great and has regular updates, which is also great. However, it's very annoying to find that the installer has re-enabled Autostart and Automatically check for new version after installing a new version over the top of an older version.
No, because these are very important settings I *want* people to leave alone. The worst thing you can do is disable AnyDVD's autostart. Do yourself a favor and leave it alone. At least it will pop up the settings window, if (and only if) anything was changed after an installation.

It may also re-enable other settings, but those are two that I specifically like disabled.
I don't know of other settings.

No, this is done intentionally.

The worst thing you can do is disable AnyDVD's autostart.
Why ?

Windows functions happily without it, and it can interfere with the verify feature of CD/DVD burning tools like Imgburn.

It would be better to display a pop-up message once when the user disables either of these settings. After that the settings should be left as-is, unless the user manually changes them.

AnyDVD is great and has regular updates, which is also great. However, it's very annoying to find that the installer has re-enabled Autostart and Automatically check for new version after installing a new version over the top of an older version. It may also re-enable other settings, but those are two that I specifically like disabled.

I agree! Autostart sounds like a good idea until the 25 programs that use it load down my computer
when booting up! Really, Let me decide when your program is needed. I only need slysoft for backups!
My PC is new and is fully HDCP compliant.

You can decide if you want AnyDVD to start upon boot or not. Just disable it in the settings of course :p.

You guys seem to know your way around AnyDVD but other people may not. AnyDVD, while loaded, can protect the user from nasties getting onto their computer up when inserting a DVD/CD.

I agree! Autostart sounds like a good idea until the 25 programs that use it load down my computer
when booting up! Really, Let me decide when your program is needed. I only need slysoft for backups!
My PC is new and is fully HDCP compliant.

AnyDVD is an extension to the operating system. It is designed to be kept running, not started and stopped.

I personally think it's poor design to just change someones settings. Why bother giving the user the option to disable autostart and Auto updates, when it's apparently such a heinous thing to do ?

If someone has disabled these options, then they must have a good reason for doing so, and to just re-enable them is wrong IMO.

Some people (myself included) like to start AnyDVD when required, and then stop it when we are no longer using it.

Unless there is a good technical reason for it (which I doubt there is), then I don't see why these options are enabled every time someone updates AnyDVD.

I have both settings enabled so it doesn't matter to me but i don't understand the logic.
If you want people to leave these settings alone then why give them the option to disable them in the first place? And since you give them the option obviously you understand that it should be their decision. So why "force" the enabled setting on them with every update? It's their system, they should be able to use AnyDVD anyway they want and if they don't want it running permanently or check for updates that's their prerogative.

Hi james :)

I just wanted to say: this is an awesome DVD Ripper. :bowdown:
I hate to say this but, I agree with Defenestration on this one. If you reinstall a program and the settings revert back to normal settings, this only shows that this is maybe a hassle for some users. I personally don't mind whatvever settings the software chooses as long as the program runs properly. :)

I have both settings enabled so it doesn't matter to me but i don't understand the logic.
If you want people to leave these settings alone then why give them the option to disable them in the first place? And since you give them the option obviously you understand that it should be their decision. So why "force" the enabled setting on them with every update? It's their system, they should be able to use AnyDVD anyway they want and if they don't want it running permanently or check for updates that's their prerogative.
It is (that's why these settings are there). But we want to reduce the support load from people using old outdated AnyDVD versions mailing us about problems, which could be resolved if they were using current versions. Same thing with the autostart: If you start AnyDVD while a disc is in the drive, it might not work correctly.

leave it as it is

Hi james :)

I just wanted to say: this is an awesome DVD Ripper. :bowdown:
I hate to say this but, I agree with Defenestration on this one. If you reinstall a program and the settings revert back to normal settings, this only shows that this is maybe a hassle for some users. I personally don't mind whatvever settings the software chooses as long as the program runs properly. :)

It's a simple way of verifying your update took....I expect the change when I update....if it was removed I might not think the update was successful....it's like you have a brand new install......

It's a simple way of verifying your update took....I expect the change when I update....if it was removed I might not think the update was successful....it's like you have a brand new install......
The installer says whether the install is successful or not. The settings being reverted to default does not indicate the install was successful.

I suspect that the check for updates option also checks if your registration key is blacklisted or not, for AnyDVD to check for updates and blacklisted keys it needs to be running, hence the autostart and update check options being set to default on installation of a new version.

I always leave the autostart and update check enabled at all times, unless it interferes with CD/DVD burning software such as ImgBurn, even then it's only disabled until i'm finnish with ImgBurn, anyway, it only takes a right click on the AnyDVD taskbar icon to disable or exit AnyDVD.

Last edited:
I suspect that the check for updates option also checks if your registration key is blacklisted or not, for AnyDVD to check for updates and blacklisted keys it needs to be running, hence the autostart and update check options being set to default on installation of a new version.

Depite what the Slysoft guys tell us, I think THAT is exactly the reason why they set the default values. From my firewall logs I can can say: Yes, it does verify the key when phoning home.

Just export the HKCU/Software/Slysoft/AnyDVD/Settings folder. After every update apply it with a double click and you have your settings back.

Last edited:
I also dislike this "feature" of the AnyDVD installer. Especially because it does not say what it has re-enabled.

As a compromise I would prefer that the installer asks the user, if it should revert these settings or at least explicitly says that it has re-enabled these settings. But I would prefer it, if the program would not condescend me.

Actually the current design provokes the contrary of what SlySoft intends. I update less often, because I'm annoyed of this reverting to autostart without informing me and showing me the configuration panel without saying what it wants from me. Update checking then shows me a popup on every system start, so I turn it off also. And since this is also reverted, I dislike updating even more.

If a virus scanner would do it this way, nobody would buy it. And AnyDVD is also one of the regularly updating programs. So it should have a better autoupdate function. One that doesn't need user interaction and doesn't lead to unexpected results.

I get the distint feeling that most of you complaining about autostart and update are doing so on the behalf of warezed versions.

the reason autostart and update are always getting enabled is to blacklist people when there keys get spread about the net.

I get the distint feeling that most of you complaining about autostart and update are doing so on the behalf of warezed versions.

the reason autostart and update are always getting enabled is to blacklist people when there keys get spread about the net.

I want to say that I agree with you here. Looks like allot of the newer users are even remotely posting only about this. What is really the big deal here? It's not like your Norton all in one or your McAfee all in one and makes your system take forever to boot. Do a clean install of your OS no anti anything on it or additional programs just the OS only. After the install is complete reboot the PC. See how fast it is? Now install only anydvd reboot...is it as fast? Yes it is as there is no resources used really to initiate anydvd to auto run. The default settings is what the company prefers and this is why it is so. After all the author knows what's best right?

I get the distint feeling that most of you complaining about autostart and update are doing so on the behalf of warezed versions
Not at all. Ican't speak for the others, but I have a legitimate licence for AnyDVD HD.

What is really the big deal here?
It's that the installer changes my settings without any notice - Not a good thing IMO.

The default settings is what the company prefers and this is why it is so. After all the author knows what's best right?
Default settings on initial install is fine, but to change them without any notice when upgrading is bad design. Why give the user the option of changing these two settings if they shouldn't be changed ?

PS. Don't take this as a request to remove these options because that would only make the situation worse. :)

Don't get me wrong, as I said, AnyDVD is a great piece of software which "just works" and is low on resources. It's the installer which needs changing slightly IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back