• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

8x or 16 x Verbatim dvd-R

missboots

I'm quite new to this and am planning to purchase Verbatim dvd-R discs for use with ANYDVD. Can someone tell me, please, what the difference is between 8x and 16x. Which one would you recommend for just basic use (nothing fancy being burned).
Thanks

8x or 16x Vervbatim dvd-R ?

I'm quite new to this and am planning to purchase Verbatim dvd-R discs for use with ANYDVD. Can someone tell me, please, what the difference is between 8x and 16x. Which one would you recommend for just basic use (nothing fancy being burned).
Thanks

One can burn at a maximum speed of 8x, and one can burn at a maximum speed of 16x. I would recommend the 16x because you can burn faster and get done with it faster as a result. Beware, AnyDVD cannot burn a DVD.

Thanks
But the discs, they are very good quality , as for what speed to burn tham , well you would have to let me now what burner you are usin. I would recommend a burn speed of 8X or 12X. AnyDVd just decrypts the movie it will not burn it, you will need CloneDVD2 for this or another burning application, I recommend CloneDVD2 ofcourse. You can use it free for 21 days and then make up your mind.
http://www.slysoft.com/en/clonedvd.html

I recommend burning at maximum speed unless there is a problem, then you would slow it down, not the other way around, lol.

I recommend burning at maximum speed unless there is a problem, then you would slow it down, not the other way around, lol.
Thats very bad advice Detroit Baseball. Although these discs can burn at 16X with most firmwares today you will get a better burn at 12X or 8X will less chance of errors. This is a fact.:agree:

Thats very bad advice Detroit Baseball. Although these discs can burn at 16X with most firmwares today you will get a better burn at 12X or 8X will less chance of errors. This is a fact.:agree:
I always burn at max speed and have never had a problem. If your drive says it can burn at 16x, and the discs say they can burn at 16x, they should be able to. If they can't, I would take which ever one of them that doesn't work back to the store and get my money back. You shouldn't pay for 16x and have to settle for anything less.

I always burn at max speed and have never had a problem. If your drive says it can burn at 16x, and the discs say they can burn at 16x, they should be able to. If they can't, I would take which ever one of them that doesn't work back to the store and get my money back. You shouldn't pay for 16x and have to settle for anything less.
You did not read what I said, I said you will get a better burn at 12X or 8X, if you want to burn at 16X go right ahead, but it is not advisable. Lets let the poster decide. :doh:

You did not read what I said, I said you will get a better burn at 12X or 8X, if you want to burn at 16X go right ahead, but it is not advisable. Lets let the poster decide. :doh:
My burns at 16x look great to my eyes. Prove that 12x is better quality.

My burns at 16x look great to my eyes. Prove that 12x is better quality.
I am done talking to you about this, How on earth would you prove something like this on a forum, we could provide scans but they are not that accurate but do show that a 12X burn is much better than 16X with most media and drive. Please do not respond to this as I do not wish to discuss this with you anymore, We have both said what we believe and now it time for the poster to try both and see what he likes best. Okay. Now drop it.:policeman:

The poster has to buy 16x to even be able to burn at 12x though.
You can burn 8X media at 12X with many burners. To long a list. But the Pioneer and the BenQ 1620, LG 4163 and many others. Please lets drop this.:policeman: Yuden 000-T02-000 media burn at 12X with these burners, and it is only rated at 8X. But yes you are right inmost cases you have to buy 16X media to burn at 12x, okay now can we drop this.:policeman:

You can burn 8X media at 12X with many burners. To long a list. But the Pioneer and the BenQ 1620, LG 4163 and many others. Please lets drop this.:policeman: Yuden 000-T02-000 media burn at 12X with these burners, and it is only rated at 8X. But yes you are right inmost cases you have to buy 16X media to burn at 12x, okay now can we drop this.:policeman:
Wow, just trying to discuss things on a forum. People are going to have different opinions.

Thanks for all of the information ; sorry that I seem to have started such a heated debate.

I'll confirm that MCC-004 media scans best at 8x and 12x scores a tad lower-using any of my 5 Benqs and nero's disc quality scanning program.

8x verbatim are some very fine discs,these 16x verbs are even better.They were designed to be burned faster. I'll attest to those nero scores dropping when burning MCC-004 media at 4x and avoid burning them at 2.4x.

BTW: Those 8x verbs are getting very scare,as well as most other 8x media.A lot of the 16x media is going with cmags as their main manufacturer. The only thing to worry about when going to 16x media is the firmware version for your burner. Older drives will have a higher chance of not recognizing the newer/faster media-so a firmware update may have to be performed.

The poster has to buy 16x to even be able to burn at 12x though.

Generally speaking, a 12x burn may actually be faster than a 16x burn in most cases and tend to provide lower error ratios and longer life. Just because the media is "rated" as a certain maximum speed does not mean (although it is implied) that it is the "best fit". I just bought a couple of 20x drives - not to record at 20x, but to allow for increased selectivity regarding burn speeds. I find that 8x records provide the lowest error ratios (yes - even lower than the 4x records - depending on the drive) and then the 12x speed comes in 2nd. The 16x+ speeds are really just "pushing the envelope" - kind of like "pushing" a 1965 Corvair to 130mph - it's possible; however, not really "best in class" - Think NADER....

Cheers....

Rule of thumb.........burn at 1/2 the rated speed of the media.
I burn at 16X (w/8X & 16X media) with no problems (Plextor 716SA & NEC3550A) but I do not recommend it.

Exactly correct oldjoe. But I do admit to burning @12X with great results. 16X is hit and miss , not recommended.:disagree:

Back