• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

PS3 Update and VC-1 Blu Ray Data Discs

mick2006

I have heard that after the newest update for the PS3, WMV video will be playable. Do any of you know, or think that we will be able to rip our blu rays and then just put the VC-1 main movie on a blank BD-R/RE and play them as data discs on our PS3's? I know that we can do this now with AVC encoded titles, but I have tried it with VC-1 encoded titles and the PS3 just states incompatible format. Thanks in advance for any info.

i have the same problem, but in the doom9-forum was posted, that 2.10 brings back an old problem no ac3 just stereo :-(

have you ever tried to take the .m2ts-file (mpeg2, h.264) and stream it via twonky (or something similar)? i never had any success :-(

any solution to play ripped bd on the ps3 without burning them?

to whom it may concern

I bought a PS3 yesterday, upgraded to 2.10 (40 GB, Germany).

I tried some vc1 files I had on an external harddisk, PS3 did not recognize them, I had a wmv file on that disk, which PS3 identified as VC1 file (and plays).

m2ts files on e.g. a flash usb stick always play. I did however not veryfy ac3 vs stereo.

note that the ps3 plays BD-R and BD-RE. It also plays (non region) NTSC DVD discs - my US playstation (firmware 2.01) refuses to play PAL DVD or any PAL coded disc (e.g from my HD CAM). Again, the same cam files play when on a disc or hdd as M2ts files

hope this helps

i have the same problem, but in the doom9-forum was posted, that 2.10 brings back an old problem no ac3 just stereo :-(

have you ever tried to take the .m2ts-file (mpeg2, h.264) and stream it via twonky (or something similar)? i never had any success :-(

any solution to play ripped bd on the ps3 without burning them?

I have a Tvix 4100 media streamer and am able to stream almost all MPEG2 blu ray rips over my LAN. I have found that the PS3 as a media stremer is worthless for high def material, which of course would be their goal since they don't want any of their discs ripped.

I have a Tvix 4100 media streamer and am able to stream almost all MPEG2 blu ray rips over my LAN. I have found that the PS3 as a media stremer is worthless for high def material, which of course would be their goal since they don't want any of their discs ripped.

I think the PS3 is getting better. More and more video is working with each release. I still get artifacts, but they have been lessening.

I think ultimately, they will not support rips, but that will probably be done with audio watermarking.

I like to see MS and Sony competing. Adding stuff like VC1 and DivX is awesome.

vc1 streams and wmv encodes are not the same thing.
the vc1 that is found in wmv is not the same as vc1 on hd-dvd/blu-ray.

i checked again today and verified 'wma' is enabled on ps3 - my blu ray compliant vc1 files are not recognized by ps3. but a wmv file which i happen to have is recognized by PS3 indicating vc1.
i also checked divx - it plays

i think you are missing the point.
blu-ray compliant vc1 are NOT WMV compliant!!

The ps3 plays WMV not vc1

thanks - i guess you stated the obvious, you are off course right.
my aim was to answer mick's question who started the thread.

vc1 streams and wmv encodes are not the same thing.
the vc1 that is found in wmv is not the same as vc1 on hd-dvd/blu-ray.

Straight from the Sony website:
System software 2.10 also adds support for playback of videos in VC-1 format, including WMV content.

This implies it would support any VC-1, but specifically VC-1 in a WMV. VC-1 is a codec, WMV is a container. They are not the same.

Reality: I've tried in vein to get an HD DVD VC-1 stream to play, so I believe you are correct. I don't know what the differences are between the MS VC-1 and the HD DVD/BluRay VC-1. I know MS "expanded" VC-1 for their encoder.

I was taking a look at some things over on doom9 and found some very interesting info.
1) If you use Tsremux.exe and set the outpout to `bluray` then you can make a bdmv backup of a VC-1 blu ray rip on BD-R/RE.
2) I found that by using Tversity I was able to stream my AVC and MPEG2 blu ray rips over my wired LAN. Just download Tversity (it's free) and follow the installation procedure and things should work for you. One important note however is to make sure and change the extension of your AVC or MPEG2 blu ray rip from .m2ts to.MPG or else the PS3 won't recognize the media file. I was able to stream Pirates of the Carr-World's End with no problems, but make sure your PC isn't doing much. It doen't really use the PC's CPU because the PS3 is doing all the work, but I found that if something like a virus scan kicked in then the video stream would start to studder. Anyway, this is great news for those of us with PS3's and a wired LAN-we can now stream many of our AVC and MPEG2 blu ray rips.

Straight from the Sony website:

This implies it would support any VC-1, but specifically VC-1 in a WMV. VC-1 is a codec, WMV is a container. They are not the same.

Reality: I've tried in vein to get an HD DVD VC-1 stream to play, so I believe you are correct. I don't know what the differences are between the MS VC-1 and the HD DVD/BluRay VC-1. I know MS "expanded" VC-1 for their encoder.

Sadly, I can confirm this. :( Using 2.35 firmware, I can stream 1080p AVC content just fine. On the VC-1 stream, however, the PS3 even hangs (on a black screen). Is there a known solution yet? Transcoding perhaps?

Back