• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

HD DVD Writers Coming Your Way

there is nowhere to buy a hd-dvd burner without buying a new pc.
unless you can find one that someone took it out of their pc and sells it on ebay (very rare).

another nail in hd-dvd's coffin.

As much as I like HD DVD, I'm definitely more anxious to get into burning Blu Ray discs. 25GB per layer and a durable hard coating are ideal for archiving my HD shows. At the current price point though (~10x the cost per GB of DVD+R), it is just not feasible. Still, as I begin to shoot my own video in HD, I think that I might be able to do things more easily with HD DVD's HDi features than Blu Ray's BD-J. Therefore I do look forward to both formats being burnable in the near future.

As much as I like HD DVD, I'm definitely more anxious to get into burning Blu Ray discs. 25GB per layer and a durable hard coating are ideal for archiving my HD shows. At the current price point though (~10x the cost per GB of DVD+R), it is just not feasible. Still, as I begin to shoot my own video in HD, I think that I might be able to do things more easily with HD DVD's HDi features than Blu Ray's BD-J. Therefore I do look forward to both formats being burnable in the near future.

Blu-Ray is available now. Anyway, last year, Toshiba unveiled that they was going to make an HD DVD burner for the PC. http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/05/toshiba-unveils-sd-h903a-hd-dvd-burner-for-pcs/
I just never seen one make it to consumers, but it is still on Toshiba website. So it might be only available to OEM's and not consumers.

Nitro

Blu-Ray is available now.

Yes, but it is still too expensive (not to say that an HD-DVD burner wouldn't be too expensive as well). I was hoping to get a burner and some discs this Christmas, but for the price of the blank discs, I could buy two hard drives. And even then, I still have to buy the burner too, which is another $450+. Hopefully by next Christmas...

as much as i'd prefer to see hd-dvd win "the battle" it really is dragging its feet.

bluray has had pc burners for months for ~200ukp, discs are available, some studios are only putting films on bluray, blockbuster are only stocking them, and the ps3 has a drive as standard, 25/50gb capacity, nasty copy-protection.

hd-dvd: well there's one pc reader and one writer that will cost you 2500usd (with free laptop) and a drive is an aftersale extra with the xbox360, 15/30gb capacity - assuming you can find any blank media, easy copy-protection.

hd-dvd: well there's one pc reader and one writer that will cost you 2500usd (with free laptop) and a drive is an aftersale extra with the xbox360, 15/30gb capacity - assuming you can find any blank media, easy copy-protection.

There are more readers that the Xbox360 one, such as the LG GGC-H20L (plays both HD DVD and Blu-Ray) and the GGW-H20 which adds Blu-Ray burning to the dual-format reader.

Granted the HD DVD writing options are sorely limited at this point. Personally this is a non-issue since the media is still too expensive for me anyway. It's just a matter of time though. I remember when I first started burning my own Audio CDs. Blanks were $10 each. Ouch.

Well they've started selling the Toshiba SD-L902A HD DVD writers for notebooks. I got one today for mine

I think I want to wait for a feature rich HD DVD + Blu-Ray burner,…..at a reasonable price,…..~$300 to $400 or so.

And reasonably priced blanks. I would have gone ahead with buying my Blu Ray burner this year, even though it was going to cost almost $500. However, the price of the blank discs has turned me away for another year.

Yes, but it is still too expensive (not to say that an HD-DVD burner wouldn't be too expensive as well). I was hoping to get a burner and some discs this Christmas, but for the price of the blank discs, I could buy two hard drives. And even then, I still have to buy the burner too, which is another $450+. Hopefully by next Christmas...

Not really, but I tend to buy what I want. Actually, my first Plextor CD-R was about $450 back in 1999. Anyway, the price will drop on the hardware and the media but just takes time.

And reasonably priced blanks. I would have gone ahead with buying my Blu Ray burner this year, even though it was going to cost almost $500. However, the price of the blank discs has turned me away for another year.

You can buy Verbatim BD-r's for around $10 to $11. Although, lately I have been buying the movies for about that price from Amazon.com.

There are more readers that the Xbox360 one, such as the LG GGC-H20L (plays both HD DVD and Blu-Ray) and the GGW-H20 which adds Blu-Ray burning to the dual-format reader.

Granted the HD DVD writing options are sorely limited at this point. Personally this is a non-issue since the media is still too expensive for me anyway. It's just a matter of time though. I remember when I first started burning my own Audio CDs. Blanks were $10 each. Ouch.

LG could have just as easily made the GGW-H20L an HD-DVD burner instead of a Blu-Ray burner... I'm sure there's a good business reason behind it.... like HD-DVD is going nowhere.

With HTPC becoming more and more practical, its going to be the PC market that moves sales on these new high definition formats... not the traditional set top players. Sony was smart to see that, early on.

Just one opinion...

Not really, but I tend to buy what I want. Actually, my first Plextor CD-R was about $450 back in 1999. Anyway, the price will drop on the hardware and the media but just takes time.

Been there, done that.

My first CD burner cost me about $330. It had a blazing speed of 2x, had a caddy (removable enclosure) instead of the usual tray, did everything Track-at-Once (no Disc-at-Once), and no support for CD-RW (these cost about $20 each, and didn't play in anything, so no big loss there). I remember finding a great deal on blank CDs back then for about $3 per disc (50 pack in a large box, with jewel cases). But I was a big hit, since no one even knew you could burn your own CDs yet. :bowdown:

Oh, I almost forgot to mention. My first burner was....... A SONY!! :doh:

believe or not they are not as indestructible as you are led to believe. Since the pits are extremely small, ANY imperfections on the surface are real problems. I have had some RE's that needed cleaning (and I am fastidious in handling a $50 blank) before I could erase them! It was just a latent finger print!

I have had the same issue with some commercially pressed discs...

Been there, done that.

My first CD burner cost me about $330. It had a blazing speed of 2x, had a caddy (removable enclosure) instead of the usual tray, did everything Track-at-Once (no Disc-at-Once), and no support for CD-RW (these cost about $20 each, and didn't play in anything, so no big loss there). I remember finding a great deal on blank CDs back then for about $3 per disc (50 pack in a large box, with jewel cases). But I was a big hit, since no one even knew you could burn your own CDs yet. :bowdown:

Oh, I almost forgot to mention. My first burner was....... A SONY!! :doh:

Gee, I must be an OLD timer. My first burner, a philips external CDRW 1 or 2X was $3000 (a group of us bought it and shared hahah).

And it was a bargain! From what I recall, we cd-rw were not even available and the blank cds (650MB only) were around $25..

it was a VERY good burner....(supported DAO as we needed this for certain things :)

Back