• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

ok so I am very new to this

aleicgrant

so please a little patience.

I have all the right equipment in place, a Blu Ray burner and now purchased AnyDVDHD.

So the simple question is, can I make backups on Blu Ray media so I can put my originals away.

if so, whats the best and easiest step by step.

thank you in advance

Yes you can make backups using anydvd hd. I personally would recommend getting a 1tb harddrive (or w/e configuration you prefer) and just ripping the files from the blu-ray discs to that and then playing the files using powerdvd. Though if you plan on taking this route, make sure you have powerdvd 3319a or lower since newer versions disable this feature. The reason I recommend ths route is because *most* blu-rays are 50gb and to buy writable 50gb discs runs about $35-45 each = more than the movie. Buying a 1tb hardrive costs like $300 and you can fit 20 movies on it where as 20 50gb discs would cost you $700-900. But if you re dead set on burning physical copies, here s the basics.

Put the disk in the blu-ray drive, let anydvd scan it and right click on the icon in the task bar and select anydvd ripper. Its pretty simple to use. The easiest way to burn your back ups is using nero (it s what I am used to, but there are other apps suchas img burn but you ll havie to search the forums for more info on that).Open up nero burning express and from the drop down menu select blu-ray disc. Then go to the udf tab at the top and make sure it says udf 2.5. Now click the new tab and you ll be taken to a screen where you can add the files you ripped to the hard drive. Once you are satisfied, hit the burn button.

So the simple question is, can I make backups on Blu Ray media so I can put my originals away.

Where do you plan to play back these backups? If you plan to use them on a stand alone player, you'll have to use Blu Ray media, and then you risk running into problems with the AACS now being gone. AACS is mandatory on BDMV discs, which most (all?) commercial discs are, so the player could refuse to play your backup. Not sure if this is an issue yet though, but it very well could be soon.

It should be as simple as using the AnyDVD ripper to rip the entire disc to your hard drive, and then burn it using your burner software. Some movies may require dual layer discs, which will undoubtedly be more expensive. *EDIT: Yeah, like ^ he said.

Speaking of expensive, if you just plan to play these on your computer you might consider this. Last night I went to newegg.com and just for fun added 20 Verbatim BD-R discs (500GB) to my cart and calculated tax/shipping. The result? Almost $300! :eek: I then checked Best Buy's website where they were having a sale on my favorite Verbatim DVD+R discs. I bought two 50 disc spindles (470GB) for just under $30. That means that BD-R discs are roughly TEN TIMES more expensive than DVD+R discs right now. If playback is going to be on your computer only, you might consider backing them up to multiple DVDs (using a multivolume archive format, such as RAR). This is what I am planning to do. Then all you'll need is either a version of PowerDVD that plays from the HDD (no later than 3319a) or convert the rip to an .ISO image first before archiving to DVDs.

Last edited:
ok you have convinced me

but my pc is upstairs and my plasma and ps3 is downstairs. I cant imagine the bandwith is there yet to stream. I have 2.2tb of space so that wont be an issue for now :) but I want to be able to play back on my tv.

my second question (and again I am new to this program maybe two hours) I just ripped my first blu ray, opened up PowerDvd Ultra and browsed to the folder but which one do I select to start the movie???

Again sorry for the questions.

thanks

Assuming you have a PowerDVD that lets you play from HDD, you select the option to Play movie files (not media files) and then it will ask you to select a folder, not a file. Point it to the root directory of your rip and it should work.

As far as network bandwidth, 100Mbps ethernet should be enough to handle content from HD discs, but Gigabit for sure would be able to. However, I doubt that a PS3 would playback a ripped blu ray disc across a LAN like that.

Last edited:
hmmm

I have a buffalo N-spec router which operates on two channels. one of the most expensive routers out there (over $250)

Of course the PS3 is still honking on the G band. Well I guess I can try it with Tiversity and see what happens.

This was my question(s) also! Thanks

I too was wondering not only if/how to burn a backup of HD-BRay, but also how to play them on the computer! I still have PowerDVD5 installed so it does not support HD. But I do have a brand new PowerDVD package of version 7. Someone mentioned using an older (not the current) version of PowerDVD (3xxx). How does that 3xxx equate to version number 6 or 7 or 7.5?

Thanks...........

still doing something wrong

ok so I rip the blu-ray. into "new folder" on my desk top. Then I open up Powerdvd Ultra (a fresh install dl today from the site) and select open movie files. I navigate to the folder which has the movie and no matter which file I click on inside, the ok stays greyed out.

any idea

screen shot enclosed

Capture.jpg

You have to use PowerDVD 7.3.3319a or 3104 to play from hard drive. This feature is disabled in recent versions for HD content.

This is a classic case of a software update that caused more problems that it solved. Keep this in mind the next time you update something to the "Latest and Greatest." Hang onto your previous version just in case!!

I don't think we're allowed to help you find that unfortunately. Just search the web, shouldn't be too hard to find. If you can't find it, I believe the .ISO method still works. I can't help you with that, but only because I've never done it. I know lots of others on here have though.

I appreciate it

I was able to find a copy online.

now for one final question (tonight) can you rip an HD-DVD and then burn it to a Blu Ray disk assuming you have a BR burner :)

You could, provided that it fits (HD DVD rips can be up to 30GB, BD-R discs are 25GB), however because the two formats use incompatible containers, no Blu Ray player would be able to play it. The only exception might be a dual format player, but I doubt it. As of right now, there is no easy way to convert between the two formats. Eventually it should be possible, at least for the main movie, since the two formats use the same audio and video compression codecs. However, all the menus and bonus features are completely different on the two formats, so preserving them will be far more complicated. I don't see an easy conversion tool surfacing for the next year or so, if ever. I think the more likely outcome will be dual format drives and players. Such drives are starting to become affordable, so hopefully the players will too. If someone were to ask me which type of HD disc stand alone player to buy, I would recommend that they hold off until the dual format ones became affordable (hopefully by next Christmas season).

would have been heaven

fortunately for me I do have the new LG combo drive for the pc so I am still safe. Its a shame they cant come to a working conclusion that ultimately benefits the consumer but hey the all mighty dollar speaks :)

Thanks for your comments

fortunately for me I do have the new LG combo drive for the pc so I am still safe.

You mean the $1000 burner, or the new $300 reader?

Its a shame they cant come to a working conclusion that ultimately benefits the consumer but hey the all mighty dollar speaks :)

Luckily, both formats can co-exist in one device, as these dual format drives/players have shown. I can't imagine a VHS/Beta dual deck VCR... :disagree: I remember going through a similar issue years ago when I bought my first DVD burner: + or - ? In the end, I went with +, and still use them to this day. The only difference is that now when I need to replace my DVD burner, I don't need to worry about buying one that is +, since they're all ±. HD DVD and Blu Ray will hopefully come to this point someday, but not for a while yet.

I was wondering because you mentioned a Blu Ray burner earlier. Is that a seperate drive?

sorry about that

In my main pc I have the LG br/hd-dvd reader. In my laptop I have a BR burner.

did you buy the br burner for your laptop? I m having a hard time finding one for a reasonable price.

Back