• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Some DVD Players Won't Play Burned Copy

Status
Not open for further replies.

divine

I'm noticing that some DVD players won't play the burned DVD copy from my Slysoft software, Version 5.0.3.1. Can anyone tell me why? I use +R DVDs which I've been told work best with this particular software.

Larry

Also

Some players will not play +R discs and some will. You need to look in the manual and see if they will play them or maybe -R

Some older DVD Players do not like to play copied dvd +/- R's. I paid over $250 for my old Sony DVD Player and all my copies use to skip and jump. I tried many movies and the same thing. Went to Walmart and purchased a $80 Sony player that said it was +/-R compatible and have not had any problems since.

Most newer players are all compatible with +/-R media nowadays.

Also some older players need the empty Audio folder to just to play.

I'm noticing that some DVD players won't play the burned DVD copy from my Slysoft software, Version 5.0.3.1. Can anyone tell me why? I use +R DVDs which I've been told work best with this particular software.

Larry

Change the book type, if possible, of the +R media to DVD-ROM and they will play in almost any player of any age.

Larry

from Frequently Asked Questions (READ BEFORE YOU POST)

10. My backups play on my computer or standalone dvd player, but not in something else. Why?

First, if the backup is playing in a standalone dvd player or on your computer that means Clonedvd worked.

The most common reason why you're having this problem (if the backup doesn't work in a standalone dvd player) is due to a compatibility issue between the blank media you're using and whatever you're using to play the backup in (standalone dvd player, for example). Basically your dvd player, dvd-rom drive, etc. doesn't like the blank media you're using (or if you're using +R media, you didn't change the booktype to "dvd-rom"). You can try choosing other blank media (+r instead of -r, for example, and change the booktype to "dvd-rom")--or buy a different standalone dvd player (or a different dvd-rom drive, burner, etc.).

If you're using dvd-r media and your standalone dvd player gives you a message similar to ""Play Prohibited, please check disc", use dvd+r media instead and change the booktype to "dvd-rom" (see "b)" below).

a) Are you using junk blank media? If you're not using Taiyo Yuden 8x premium, Verbatim, Maxell Plus, or Maxell Broadcast Quality, then chances are the answer to this question is "yes".
b) Click this and read FULLY (especially take a look at point 4 for more information on bitsetting/booktyping, but all points are very important)

The same factors also apply to why the backup doesn't play in your computer (but there can be other factors including buggy or poorly installed dvd player software, bad drivers, etc.).

It's also possible the playback device/player that can't play the disc is slowly dying.

Most new players of the last two years will play anything DVD (Non HD):agree:. Truth is encryption found on the original DVD will keep older players from playing correctly:disagree:. Get yourself a new player, I recommend a SONY upscale player, I have the SONY DVP NS71HP 720p/1080i upscale HDMI They sell for around $100.00 retail ans can be found cheaper on sale. SONY has since introduced a newer model. If you have a SONY outlet in your area try them out as the outlets carry many of these type players refurbed by SONY at lower cost. If you are burning your movies yourself and wish to ensure that your back up or copy works. Do "movie only".

Encryption is normally attached to menu & audio portions of a encrypted title. +R disc are a work in progress as in my experience they are prone to recording errors. -R is more of a sure shot universal blank media type. Stay away from trash media i.e. memorex, most store brands, trash at heart as they have "right now" play capability but no archival quality, the older they get they will begin to pixelate if not immediately. I use primarily VERBATIM & SONY (made anywhere) as they make promise of quality in their brands which can be read on the label. VERBATIM's AZO & SONY's ACCU-CORE speak to these brands setting a consumer objective of quality and satisfaction.

Stay away from "burn on a fly" options found within your burning software. I burn my back ups as low as 4x and no faster than 8x even though current blank DVD media speeds are at majority 16x. I use SONY burners as they are reliable and perform extemely well and can be found almost anywhere retail. I don't even use cheap media for give away titles made for family and friends, they're just not worth the possible errors. Last know your software encoding decrypting or other wise, they say and look like they all do the same thing.."Not true". I own several types for many reasons. Different titles respond differently to decryption software, other softwares can help to repair badly recorded files or disc. I use AnyDVD & NERO (7 or 8) primarily and will go to CloneDVD as needed. I also keep around Ripit4Me, DVD Decrypter, Shrink, Vob Blanker though most of these are no longer supported. :clap:

Last edited:
I would have to disagree with some of your information LEGIN27
Encryption has no effect on home units while using pre-recorded DVD's.
Encryption also has no effect on backed up copies as the encryption must be removed before the burning software can make the copy.
In reality, Sony has always been one of the most problematic brands of home units particularly about the brand of media. I have heard the newer models are more forgiving.
It is also quite acceptable, and even very common practice, to copy the whole movie or movie+menus without any negative effects on the copy.
+R a "work in progress"? I have well over 1200 backups and they all have been done on quality +R media booktyped to DVD-ROM and I have yet to find a home player that will not accept them......even some older Sony's.
In fact, -R media is much more likely to produce problems with compatibility.

Your experiences are different:disagree:.....older DVD players....3 to 4 years old will indeed hick-up or should I say restart mid-disc when playing newly Ripgaurd or Arccoss protect DVD's. Toshiba's DVD players are known to have this querk. +R does not play on a many older models (seen it with my own eyes). -R is more widely used because of it's common adaptability.....or just look a the shelf on any SALE for either VERBATIM or SONY blank DVD disc -R always sells out 1st. Matter of fact most retail locations in my area have not even stocked their shelves with the new +R design VERBATIMS there are so many of the previous design unsold...that's SAM's BEST BUY and STAPLES.

Encryption or a given given encrypted DVD structure can sometime transfer to the copy i.e. Invalid Vobu's. SONY as a brand I've never had a problem with. The +R that has given me the most trouble were SONY +R which coded out to non-other than Tayo-Yuden....surprised!!!:agree:...no flame...just my experiences are different from yours. Oh.... "movie only"... is a safe option as I stated. I personally prefer menus and extras. But if one want's to avoid the hassle sometimes assosciated with backing up encrypted titles? Back-up or copy "Movie Only". That's just common knowledge.:D

Last edited:
Truth is encryption found on the original DVD will keep older players from playing correctly Get yourself a new player, I recommend a SONY upscale player

Actually, what you've written here is complete nonsense. Some newer Sony dvd players couldn't even play Sony movie releases that were protected with Arcoss. This is one reason why Sony allowed customers to exchange their discs for less protected versions.

Encryption is normally attached to menu & audio portions of a encrypted title.

No. Not audio--and it really depends on the protection being used . . .

+R disc are a work in progress as in my experience they are prone to recording errors.

Complete nonsense

-R is more of a sure shot universal blank media type.

This is also complete nonsense. Some protections, in particular some on PCs, may check for booktype information. -R is not "dvd-rom"

SONY (made anywhere)

Not all Sonys are good

I use SONY burners as they are reliable

Sony also doesn't make its own burners. So how you can make a blanket statement with respect to Sony burners is beyond me.

Last edited:
+R does not play on a many older models (seen it with my own eyes).

This is, again, complete nonsense. If the booktype is changed to "dvd-rom", the only limitation is the quality of the disc and the reflective layer.

-R is more widely used because of it's common adaptability

If sales are a sign of quality, you should be buying Memorex.

The +R that has given me the most trouble were SONY +R which coded out to non-other than Tayo-Yuden

That's because they were made by Taiyo Yuden in Japan--and chances are you did not change the booktype. If you're going to now claim that Taiyo Yuden is inferior to Sony blank media on average, I suggest you need to visit more serious burning forums.

Last edited:
I can't agree with anything LEGIN27 said.

(1) I have numerous DVD players including older ones circa 2001. They play both DVD+R discs that aren't booktyped and DVD+R booktyped to DVD-ROM. I didn't know any better back then so the early ones weren't DVD-ROM.

(2) These same players have no issues with Arccos or Ripguard discs at all. The DVD player that I own that ever had a major problem was from 2006 and it involvled Blade - House of Chthon. The older DVD players laughed and played the disc fine.

DVD+R "a work in progress"... sorry, but what a load of bologna.

Last edited:

(1) I have numerous DVD players including older ones circa 2001. They play both DVD+R discs that aren't booktyped and DVD+R booktyped to DVD-ROM. I didn't know any better back then so the early ones weren't DVD-ROM.

Some older players did tend to be more compatible with dvd-r than dvd+r, but changing the booktype helped overcome that issue. Most compatibility issues involving blank media are related to bad burn quality (possibly due to using inferior quality blank media) and/or a difference in reflective layers used.

Also, you may, of course, remember this issue with dvd-rs and Samsung dvd players: click http://club.cdfreaks.com/1854167-post250.html
Dvd+rs booktyped to "dvd-rom" worked, while dvd-rs didn't

Last edited:
Some older players did tend to be more compatible with dvd-r than dvd+r, but changing the booktype helped overcome that issue. Most compatibility issues involving blank media are related to bad burn quality (possibly due to using inferior quality blank media) and/or a difference in reflective layers used.

Yeah, initially DVD-R was the more compatible format and was preferred. I have never ever used a DVD-R disc, personally, for numerous reasons. And, no, not all players handled DVD+R as nicely. But, my point was... DVD+R isn't some work in progress and some older players do handle it well. Most of my friends still own DVD players from around 2000. No issues at all with only using DVD+R discs and they are from all different manufacturers. Maybe we all got lucky. :)

Also, you may, of course, remember this issue with dvd-rs and Samsung dvd players: click http://club.cdfreaks.com/1854167-post250.html
Dvd+rs booktyped to "dvd-rom" worked, while dvd-rs didn't

Actually, I never heard that story before. Thanks for the link, though. :)

I see, someones sensitive about SONY:agree:....hey take that up with their customer svc....again I'm just speakng from my personal experience. I have nothing against Tayo Yuden...just my personal experience with Tayo +R SONY blank DVD media. It's a forum, I'm not leading a class....so let all childish spats go:confused:. I'm not here for that. My replies are again, MY own experience and you'll tell me it didn't happen?????....I know I know...not to you. Hey that's cool with me. Please kill all the unnecessary babble i.e. trouble making replies. I'm talking to anyone in response to this topic respectfully...so don't talk at me. You'd think I'm around causing trouble of some sort. Leave me out of any kronie games. Let's keep things "RESPECTFUL".8)

Nobody said SONY was the best, just one of the best available blank DVD media types found at most local retail. References to booktype....that's at the PC, for I which never referred to. I never said SONY made their own anything manufacturing wise. Let's just say they "produce" many fine electronic products. I am well aware that BENQ and LITE-ON have made SONY optical drives. I'm not talking wreckless here. This stuff is nothing new to me.

Last edited:
I've used Sony +Rs and never had a problem with them. But then I always bitsit to DVD-ROM. You may have been "around" for a while but you don't sound like it.:agree:

Kronie:agree:.....You and ya boys act like your learning me. Just admit my experience is different. Am I replying liar, liar, liar, in response to anyone disagreeing with me? kill the mass persuasion. :doh:

Last edited:
LEGIN27......No one is being disrespectful or trying to "learn" you. You seem to have had good fortune with Sony products and -R media and I'm sincerely happy for you. We are stating facts and not personal experiences.
Fact is, most of what you posted to the OP (divine) in Post #8 is incorrect information based on your personal experiences. That has been politely pointed out and corrected in an effort to help you, divine and other members.:)

@ LEGIN27,

Everyone has the right to their own opinions but it is not wise to erroroneously attempt to speak authoritively and pass off their own opinions as fact/truth.

Regards,
Coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back