• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD HD ISO ripper

digitalfreak

When could we expect the AnyDVD HD version with the built-in ISO ripper?

Smart Tags?

James,

Any word on the smart tag feature when launching an external application?

Thanks!

So James,

Is there any work on a AnyDVD HD in the near future ? I don't mind supporting the cause with getting CloneCd. I think I saw you mention that there is a possiblity of AnyDVD HD in a future release with ISO capability.

I don't mind supporting the cause with CloneCd as I have four of your products already. But if you do have something in the works I would prefer to go with it than clonecd.

So James,

Is there any work on a AnyDVD HD in the near future ? I don't mind supporting the cause with getting CloneCd. I think I saw you mention that there is a possiblity of AnyDVD HD in a future release with ISO capability.

I don't mind supporting the cause with CloneCd as I have four of your products already. But if you do have something in the works I would prefer to go with it than clonecd.
I would prefer to add the feature to CloneCD ('cause it belongs there) instead of overloading AnyDVD more and more.

How about using CloneCD? :D
So I bought CloneCD5 but the image.dvd needs VirtualCloneDrive for mounting (I installed the latest Vista beta, no problems with SD DVD Image). Will this work with PowerDvd for Blu Ray HD-DVD also (without blacklisting issues)? I stopped using CloneCD4/VirtualCloneDrive because of those issues long ago, so I'm not up to speed now. I don't want PC games to stop working because I have it on my system (like Sims2 with drm_dialogs.dll Securom c*ap). :mad:

ISO Solution...

I've always wanted to keep ALL the contents of my (HD)DVD/BluRays that I backup and put on the media server. I also tend to have lot of space as I've gone a bit overboard on the media server hard drives (well into the double digit terabyte range) and have a fairly large DVD collection that I've virtualized (shhh... don't tell any one!)

With that said, I spent a lot of time working out a solution that is as a carefree as possible and use ISOs exclusively for my (HD)DVD/Bluray backups.

When I get a new DVD, HDDVD, or BluRay, I use DVD Profiler and scan the bar code to enter it in the DVD Profiler DB. I then wrote a plug-in for DVD Profiler that will ask for the save location and then auto-launch UltraISO using command line parameters to start copying the disk to ISO with the location specified and name it based on the movie title and upc code. I also update the back-end SQL DB at this time so that I can access the movie information without using DVD Profiler's interface which is limited to a single user and wasn't designed for launching virtual movies.

UltraISO does a great job creating the ISO with AnyDVD(HD) installed and can support multi-optical drives if you are trying to backup more than one disk at a time.

All this then ties into a custom interface I wrote for a UMPC so I can sit back, browse the virtual movie collection and click play to launch it from the MediaPC/TV.

Even though my implementation is OVERKILL, for those wanting a simple ISO tool, UltraISO works well and has command line support if you like to automate things. It a whole copy type of process though, so if you want a more sophisicated solution...

By the way, if SlySoft is listening, the SMART TAG FEATURE FOR EXTERNAL APPLICATIONS would be REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY NICE :). Right now, I've given up hope on it being added so I'm probably going to have to parse the logs files or do a process memory dump to ferret out the information when a disc is inserted :(

Thanks!

So I bought CloneCD5 but the image.dvd needs VirtualCloneDrive for mounting (I installed the latest Vista beta, no problems with SD DVD Image). Will this work with PowerDvd for Blu Ray HD-DVD also (without blacklisting issues)? I stopped using CloneCD4/VirtualCloneDrive because of those issues long ago, so I'm not up to speed now. I don't want PC games to stop working because I have it on my system (like Sims2 with drm_dialogs.dll Securom c*ap). :mad:

See, James? THIS is my point about CloneCD. The lack of ability in the GUI to CLEARLY, and PERMANENTLY rip DVD/HD discs to ISO. I would TRULY love an ISO profile to be added. /rant ;)

@profcolli: When you select the place to store the image, there's a drop down that allows you to select ISO rather than the default .dvd image. The .dvd image is simply a split ISO. James has said these can be recombined into a single ISO but that's more or less a pain in the neck.

Also, Virtual CloneDrive is not good for mounting these images. It MIGHT work ok or it might not. Slysoft is aware of some issues there. They'll get it fixed in the next release I believe. For now just use Daemon Tools to mount the ISO.

Last edited:
I've always wanted to keep ALL the contents of my (HD)DVD/BluRays that I backup and put on the media server. I also tend to have lot of space as I've gone a bit overboard on the media server hard drives (well into the double digit terabyte range) and have a fairly large DVD collection that I've virtualized (shhh... don't tell any one!)

Would you mind sharing your hardware setup? All I'm doing now is dumping all my DVDs, HD-DVDs and Blu-ray off to tapes for long-term archiving. It would be nice to put together a huge online array so I could instantly watch any of my movies though.

Right now, I think I'm up to 40 tapes, which is 7 TB of movies.

Hardware Setup...

This is overkill, but I'm in the industry and I like overkill 8)

Media Server -
Dual Xeon Server - Super Micro Case and MB Setup
16GB RAM
Windows 2003 x64 Bit Edition
Windows 2005 SQL Server x64 Bit Edition
2 - 400GB SAS Primary Hard Drives using built-in removable drive bays in server case.
6 - Spare/Junk SATA Play Hard Drives (300 to 500GB) using built-in removable drive bays in server case. Mainly used for music and misc. shares.
Silicon Image Based SATA Controller (PCIe) with 4 eSATA Ports - Supports 20 HDs via Port Multipliers (4x5)
USB Add-On Card with 4 Ports - Supports 20 HDs via USB to eSATA + Port Multipliers.
8 - 5 Port Removable Hard Drive Bays (40 Removable Drive Bays Total) in Custom Made Enclosure with Custom Power Supply Feeds

Each 5 port removable hard drive bay has a Silicon Image Based Port Multiplier on it so that one eSATA port can support 5 physical drives. For half the drive bays, I use the Silicon Image's PCIe Controller and the other half I use a USB to eSATA "cable" solution.
I actually prefer the USB to eSATA solution over the faster Silicon Image Controller based one as I get better power management and can just turn off the drives to reduce heat, etc., without any issues.

I don't RAID the hard drives or anything. I want them all to be easily accessed as I change my hardware and setup often. Right now, I have about 3/4s of the drive bays filled and 1/2 are using 1TB drives and the rest are 500GB units.

I have to use mount folders since I have more than 26 hard drives (not enough letters). I just setup a share called HDBANK and then each folder/mount point is label DRIVE01, DRIVE02, etc.

I use a SQL DB to keep track of everything and have written some scripts that will auto-update the location fields when I move stuff around or condense movies onto larger hard drive units.

House is wired for gigabit networking.

MediaPC is Intel 3x Based Duo Core Based Unit with ATI Radeon HD2600 controller. Feeds TV via HDMI. Plays DVDs via PowerDVD or WinDVD. Right now, my scripts call WinDVD if it's a DVD ISO, and PowerDVD is it's a BluRAY or HDDVD ISO. The script works by mounting the ISO for me using Daemon Tools and then running the player.

Not totally related, but I also use Gefen 4x4 HDMI Matrix Product. This allows me to have 4 HDMI Sources output to any of my 4 TVs. Since it's HDMI and I've got HDMI extenders, I get pure HDMI digital to all TVs. This product is nice as we have multiple HD DVRs, so we can watch content from any DVR or the MediaPC on any TV in the house. If someone is watching a sport show in one room, one of our kids can be watching Disney in another and so on.

Lastly, I use a UMPC that runs a custom made web application that lets me launch a movie on my Media PC from anywhere in the house.

With all that said. I love the ability to be able to call any movie from my collection - that rocks. Now that I've got 80% of the core functionality done, any one in my home can use it including my kids. It's amazing watching my youngest daughter, pick up the UMPC, search for a movie, press the play button (it has a touch screen) and bham, the movie is playing.

Unless you are insane (like me), I'd just get a bunch of SATA hard drives as needed as you expand your collection. Don't buy the special external drives with enclosures - they are too big, just get the drives that are meant for internal use.

They now make a SATA enclosure that can take the standard internal SATA Hard Drives and install/put that on your MediaPC. You can literally just plug the SATA hard drive into the enclosure as needed. This way, you can have a ton of hard drives on the shelf - just like your DVDs, etc., and label them. Go to your movie organizer (I like DVD Profiler), put in the notes area which hard drive it's on (HD001, etc.), pop in the hard drive and your set play. This is also something that the whole family can do as well with a little teaching. You can even theme the hard drives - have a couple hard drives for the kids, so if they want to watch Lion King or something, they know they just pop in the KIDS01 HD.

I would suggest getting a USB to eSATA/SATA cable though to use with the enclosure since the removable part of SATA spec is barely supported and can cause problems when switching the hard drives. If you convert it to USB though, it solves a lot problems and there is more than enough bandwidth for playing back both HD and normal DVD content.

Hope this helps...

See, James? THIS is my point about CloneCD. The lack of ability in the GUI to CLEARLY, and PERMANENTLY rip DVD/HD discs to ISO. I would TRULY love an ISO profile to be added. /rant ;)
Will do. :agree:

EDIT: But I'll have to add an additional file where I store the media type (BD, HD DVD, DVD) and at least the layer break location (hi, Webslinger). Maybe a simple .ini file will do, so the user can edit it. Virtual CloneDrive must learn to understand this format, too, so it can mount it correctly and emulate a DVD / HD DVD / BD-ROM/R/RE disc...

@profcolli: When you select the place to store the image, there's a drop down that allows you to select ISO rather than the default .dvd image. The .dvd image is simply a split ISO. James has said these can be recombined into a single ISO but that's more or less a pain in the neck.
The splitted images have some advantages nobody has yet noticed:
1.) 1GB files can be stored on ISO9660 formatted discs (Hint, Hint!)
2.) A splitted, large (8GB?) image can be stored on two 4GB discs (Hint, Hint!)
3.) If you have *two* drives in your computer and insert the two discs with the image parts, you can mount them as *one* drive with Virtual CloneDrive (Hint, hint!)
4.) If you have 4 or more drives, you can even mount a HD DVD disc, but that's a little ridiculous ...

Also, Virtual CloneDrive is not good for mounting these images. It MIGHT work ok or it might not. Slysoft is aware of some issues there. They'll get it fixed in the next release I believe.
Yes. :agree:

Last edited:

EDIT: But I'll have to add an additional file where I store the media type (BD, HD DVD, DVD) and at least the layer break location (hi, Webslinger). Maybe a simple .ini file will do, so the user can edit it. Virtual CloneDrive must learn to understand this format, too, so it can mount it correctly and emulate a DVD / HD DVD / BD-ROM/R/RE disc...

Something *similar* to an MDS file, yes. I like this idea a lot. This would make me *VERY* happy if this could be done.

3.) If you have *two* drives in your computer and insert the two discs with the image parts, you can mount them as *one* drive with Virtual CloneDrive (Hint, hint!)
4.) If you have 4 or more drives, you can even mount a HD DVD disc, but that's a little ridiculous ...

Ok, yes, I see the point. And it's a very good one. HOWEVER, that being said, Daemon Tools doesn't like .DVD which currently blows for us HD media people. I will grant you the concept of splitting a DL disc to 2 discs and mounting as one image is intriguing and something I never considered. :agree:

You da man. Once that's out and working there will be no need for Daemon Tools. (/waves hand like obi-wan kenobe..."You wish to add easy NRG support to VCD. Move along." :D)

Something *similar* to an MDS file, yes. I like this idea a lot. This would make me *VERY* happy if this could be done.

Ok, yes, I see the point. And it's a very good one. HOWEVER, that being said, Daemon Tools doesn't like .DVD which currently blows for us HD media people. I will grant you the concept of splitting a DL disc to 2 discs and mounting as one image is intriguing and something I never considered. :agree: EDIT: An after thought...would you be able to add a way to set the size of the pieces while you're tinkering with the code? That could be *VERY* useful indeed!

You da man. Once that's out and working there will be no need for Daemon Tools. (/waves hand like obi-wan kenobe..."You wish to add easy NRG support to VCD. Move along." :D)

The .dvd file already contains the layer break...
I always hated .mds files because they are binary, and painful to edit manually. I am a friend of simple text files like .ccd, .dvd or .ini files.

The .dvd file already contains the layer break...
I always hated .mds files because they are binary, and painful to edit manually. I am a friend of simple text files like .ccd, .dvd or .ini files.

That's why I said *similar* to .mds but NOT .mds. ;) Extend .dvd to be able to handle layerbreak and other information for the different formats. It's a text file so that should be good. I'm on board with this concept.

EDIT: Or you could call it .msf...WTF is msf you ask? "Magic Sheep File" :D

Virtual CloneDrive must learn to understand this format, too, so it can mount it correctly and emulate a DVD / HD DVD / BD-ROM/R/RE disc...

What would be wonderful is :

- if a simple double-click on an ISO-File results in an auto-start of virtual Clonedrive, automount of that HD-DVD and finally in an Auto-start of PDVD...

- the ability as discussed above to use the AnyDVD-HD-Ripper to create the ISO directly without any additional workflows needed

- A batch-script how to convert dozens of HD-DVDs in the file-format to the iso-format, so that one batch-run does the job instead of doing this individually manually.

Looking forward...

Last edited:
Back