• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Trying to get this all together on Mac Pro

Phrehdd

I have quite a bit of time burned (no pun intended) trying to set up my Mac Pro so that I could use AnyDVD products, Image Burn and PowerDVD Ultra.

My hardware -
Quad Core 2.66 Mac Pro
9 gigs RAM
1900 ATI Video
onboard audio (analogue and digi output)
30" Cinema display (for art work)
XBox HD DVD player direct to Mac Pro via USB 2.0
Drives - lots to chose from

My 2 goals
1) watch HD DVD from XBox on my Cinema Display
2) Archive my HD DVD's on Mac Pro Drives and watch on Cinema Display - DVD VOBS direct from MAC OSX 10x and HD DVD on NTFS drives)

To date, I have seen in forums people suggesting to use Parallels or VMWare Fusion to make a virtual Windows (XP in my case) and run the softwares and it should work. This doesn't appear to be the case - at least for me.

Parallels is weak in processor as it only allows on core to be used.
VMWare (much to my chagrin) allows 2 cores, runs fast enough but the video driver required for VMWare Fusion is rejected by PowerDVD Ultra.

QUESTIONS --->
If I ran BootCamp that allows a dual boot to Windows, got the ATI 1900 drivers..would PowerDVD Ultra accept those?

When AnyDV DHD runs, there are some selections under HD DVD, which ones should be checked off? (or does this apply only to ripping?) I'f there is a link please point me to it so I don't waste anyone's time.

I have the latest version of PowerDVD Ultra, so I am stuck with I guess having to either watch real time the HD DVD or make an ISO and mount it as a drive (Use Image Burn or ?? and Daemon or ??)... Is this correct?

Any issues using my Cinema Display? HDMI should not be an issue correct?

Please, any detailed help here would be greatly appreciated.

The ONLY reason I have Windows is for archiving my library and watching DVDs (hopefully HD DVDs as well).

I will probably use the Generic HD DVD that came with XBOX HD DVD Player to test (King_Kong)

Thanks,
Phrehdd

From what I can see of your hardware, dual booting with BootCamp should be fine. Your video should be strong enough and your cpu definitely is. The Cinema display I don't believe is HDCP compliant(maybe I'm wrong on that one) so AnyDVD HD would definitely be required. However, making an ISO with ImgBurn and mounting in Daemon Tools is definitely a good way to go. Wait, I just read that your Cinema Display has HDMI? Neat, so, that should be HDCP compliant. Nevermind then. :) Anyway, yea, I think your idea will work. VM's will definitely NOT work as PowerDVD is picky about the hardware and drivers that it runs on. I hope this helped.

Bootcamp - thanks Samuri

From what I can see of your hardware, dual booting with BootCamp should be fine. Your video should be strong enough and your cpu definitely is. The Cinema display I don't believe is HDCP compliant(maybe I'm wrong on that one) so AnyDVD HD would definitely be required. However, making an ISO with ImgBurn and mounting in Daemon Tools is definitely a good way to go. Wait, I just read that your Cinema Display has HDMI? Neat, so, that should be HDCP compliant. Nevermind then. :) Anyway, yea, I think your idea will work. VM's will definitely NOT work as PowerDVD is picky about the hardware and drivers that it runs on. I hope this helped.

Thanks much for the fast response!

I don't believe the Cinema display is HDMI compliant. I will be using AnyDVD HD for playback. Is there any settings I need to worry about?

If I want to rip the HD DVD to drive, does VirtualClone software work to mount the ISO or use Daemon tools the answer?

Also, is it possible to just make an ISO out of the movie and bypass all the menus and additional items? I.e. - ISO of only the movie feature for my hard drive archive.

After I get all this up and running..I'll be exploring conversion of HD DVD ISO to H.264 playable or similar (highest quality possible) so I can play back on the Mac along with my regular dvds (finding a clean way to convert HD DVD for near quality isn't so straight forward from what I see).

Again, thanks!

- Phrehdd

Take the default settings and you'll be good to go.

Use Daemon Tools. VCD has some issues that they're working on fixing for HD media.

It is possible, yes, but, you'll have to search the forums for that information as it's rather involved and requires editing the xpl file to remove content you don't want.

Conversion is not overly easy, but, some crazy people are actually doing it. Again, search the forum and you'll find what you need.

Mac Pro - Boot Camp - AnyDVD HD / PowerDVD HD

Samuri - thank you for your help.

As of now all is running well for playing movies from the XBox HD DVD player attached to my Mac Pro.

I was also able to use Image Burn tool to play the movie off my drive (though the menus didn't quite work other than playing the movie itself). My test was with the King Kong HD DVD that came with the Xbox HD player.

While it is unfortunate I cannot use either Parallels or VMWare Fusion to watch HD DVD movies, I'll be archiving my HD DVDs on the Windows side and using Virtual Windows to create the archive copies of my regular DVDS which I move to the MAC side (where there are both the DVD Player app and VLC working quite well.

My next project will be to convert HD DVD to high quality H.264 files to play on the Mac side the movie. The idea is to end up with files that are better quality than DVD and close enough to HD DVD originals. This is indeed a messy area and will take some time to get right. I am looking at EVODemux and MeGUI. Hopefully these are the right combo of tools.

Again thank you for your help.

- Phrehdd

----------------
MAC PRO Quad 2.66
9 gigs RAM
Multiple drives
1900 ATI for MAC
Boot Camp-XP Pro (for AnyDVD HD and PowerDVD HD

Not a problem at all. I'm glad you got things working so far. Unfortunately I've not tried converting stuff yet, so, I won't be of much help there I'm afraid. Doom9 has a good thread on doing the conversions that you may want to check out. It's not for the faint of heart and will require some software that's not easy to purchase legally from what I can tell.

9 gig of ram??? lol

I have quite a bit of time burned (no pun intended) trying to set up my Mac Pro so that I could use AnyDVD products, Image Burn and PowerDVD Ultra.

My hardware -
Quad Core 2.66 Mac Pro
9 gigs RAM???????????????????????????????????????????
1900 ATI Video
onboard audio (analogue and digi output)
30" Cinema display (for art work)
XBox HD DVD player direct to Mac Pro via USB 2.0
Drives - lots to chose from

My 2 goals
1) watch HD DVD from XBox on my Cinema Display
2) Archive my HD DVD's on Mac Pro Drives and watch on Cinema Display - DVD VOBS direct from MAC OSX 10x and HD DVD on NTFS drives)

To date, I have seen in forums people suggesting to use Parallels or VMWare Fusion to make a virtual Windows (XP in my case) and run the softwares and it should work. This doesn't appear to be the case - at least for me.

Parallels is weak in processor as it only allows on core to be used.
VMWare (much to my chagrin) allows 2 cores, runs fast enough but the video driver required for VMWare Fusion is rejected by PowerDVD Ultra.

QUESTIONS --->
If I ran BootCamp that allows a dual boot to Windows, got the ATI 1900 drivers..would PowerDVD Ultra accept those?

When AnyDV DHD runs, there are some selections under HD DVD, which ones should be checked off? (or does this apply only to ripping?) I'f there is a link please point me to it so I don't waste anyone's time.

I have the latest version of PowerDVD Ultra, so I am stuck with I guess having to either watch real time the HD DVD or make an ISO and mount it as a drive (Use Image Burn or ?? and Daemon or ??)... Is this correct?

Any issues using my Cinema Display? HDMI should not be an issue correct?

Please, any detailed help here would be greatly appreciated.

The ONLY reason I have Windows is for archiving my library and watching DVDs (hopefully HD DVDs as well).

I will probably use the Generic HD DVD that came with XBOX HD DVD Player to test (King_Kong)

Thanks,
Phrehdd

WHO ARE YOU TRYING TO KID???? NO SUCH THING AS 9 GIGS OF RAM
SORRY DIDN'T READ THE MAC PART....THEY CAN HAVE UP TO 16 GIGS OF RAM

Last edited:
9 gigs of RAM

Well the Boot Camp XP on MAC doesn't get to enjoy it. <g>

I have to play around with the loader for XP and see if the /PAE or /3gb settings will at least give me 3.x gigs access of RAM. - Any thoughts?

However, I do photo work on the MAC and the 9 gigs really does help.

Btw, though the MAC Pro says it can take 16 gigs of RAM (8 slots), it is possible to get 32 gigs with newer 4 gig sticks out there.

Regards

Phrehdd

Back