• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Cant Read A Mighty Heart and Die Hard Live Longer DVDs

2aussies

I have v6.3.0.0 of anyDVD and a Plextor PX-716A burner, with v1.11 latest firmware. I also have the latest AVI driver for my graphics driver.

When I insert either DVD with anyDVD running, it just hunts and never sees the DVD in the drive. The same original media plays fine in my Samsung Player.

Any ideas why my PC with latest anyDVD cant read these DVDs ?

a) Keep your license key file backed up safely
b) Uninstall Anydvd (start-->all programs-->Slysoft--->Anydvd-->Uninstall)
c) Reboot
d) Check to see if your system ("my computer") now reports a disc in drive. Do you see a video_ts folder (if you're using a dvd)? Do you see folders or files?

If the answer is "no" to "d)", then Anydvd isn't your problem. As Anydvd is not on your system, Anydvd can't interfere or block the reading process. Possibly your reader or burner is slowing dying, the original disc is bad, or a number of other possibilities exist as well (including messed up ide/sata busdrivers, bad cable on the back of the drive, etc.)

If the answer is "yes", click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=1559 and follow the steps (note that step 4 requires you to post information)

Does it play on your computer with AnyDVD inactive?

OK, I:

removed anyDVD
re-booted
inserted original DVD
saw it in My Computer OK, Windows tried to play it with Media Player but protected

Then I:

reinstalled anyDVD
re-booted
inserted DVD
Windows does not see a disk in the drive

I am running McAfee Antivirus & Firewall, but it does not block anyDVD.

Any more ideas or does it still appear it is the drive ? I have had situations before where if I iunsert a commercial DVD disk, Windows sees it only about 1 of every 10 times .. is this an indication that the drive is going ?

thanx !

Any more ideas or does it still appear it is the drive ? I have had situations before where if I iunsert a commercial DVD disk, Windows sees it only about 1 of every 10 times .. is this an indication that the drive is going ?

If the disc isn't bad, then it could be the drive slowly dying.

But do steps 3 and 4 from here first: click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=1559

(note that step 4 requires you to post information)

OK, I did Step 3, but is it OK that I have two items listed for each of these:

Primary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller ?

then for step 4, here is the Imgburn Filter Driver Load Order clipboard data:

===============================================
Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.3.2.0
===============================================

Upper Device Filter: redbook
Upper Class Filter: GEARAspiWDM
Device: CD/DVD-ROM Device
Lower Class Filter: drvmcdb
Lower Class Filter: ElbyDelay
Lower Class Filter: PxHelp20
Lower Class Filter: AnyDVD
Lower Device Filter: imapi

Filter Name: redbook
File Name: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys
File Version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
File Description: Redbook Audio Filter Driver
Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Product Version: 5.1.2600.2180
Company Name: Microsoft Corporation
Copyright: © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Filter Name: GEARAspiWDM
File Name: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\GEARAspiWDM.sys
File Version: 2.0.6.1
File Description: CD/DVD Class Filter Driver
Product Name: GEAR.wrks
Product Version: 8.xx [2.0.6.1]
Company Name: GEAR Software Inc.
Copyright: Copyright (c) GEAR Software Inc. 2006

Filter Name: drvmcdb
File Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\drvmcdb.sys
File Version: 3.22.07a [3.22.7.0]
File Description: Device Driver
Product Name:
Product Version: [1.0.0.1]
Company Name: Sonic Solutions
Copyright: Copyright © Sonic Solutions

Filter Name: ElbyDelay
File Name: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\ElbyDelay.sys
File Version: 5, 1, 0, 1 [5.1.0.1]
File Description: Elby Delay Lower Filter Driver
Product Name: CDRTools
Product Version: 5, 1, 0, 1 [5.1.0.1]
Company Name: Elaborate Bytes AG
Copyright: Copyright (C) 2003 - 2006 Elaborate Bytes AG

Filter Name: PxHelp20
File Name: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\PxHelp20.sys
File Version: 3.00.43J [3.0.43.9]
File Description: Px Engine Device Driver for Windows 2000/XP
Product Name: PxHelp20
Product Version: [2.0.0.0]

Filter Name: AnyDVD
File Name: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\AnyDVD.sys
File Version: 6.3.0.0
File Description: AnyDVD Filter Driver
Product Name: AnyDVD
Product Version: 6.3.0.0
Company Name: SlySoft, Inc.
Copyright: Copyright 2002 - 2007 SlySoft, Inc.

Filter Name: imapi
File Name: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\imapi.sys
File Version: 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
File Description: IMAPI Kernel Driver
Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Product Version: 5.1.2600.2180
Company Name: Microsoft Corporation
Copyright: © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Any more thoughts ? Thanx again !

OK, I did Step 3, but is it OK that I have two items listed for each of these:

Primary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller ?

That may or may not be weird (depends a bit on the motherboard) . . .

But those could be duplicate entries.

Filter Name: drvmcdb
File Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\drvmcdb.sys
File Version: 3.22.07a [3.22.7.0]
File Description: Device Driver
Product Name:
Product Version: [1.0.0.1]

That filter may possibly cause problems

i) Create a backup of your registry
ii) Download imgburn. It's a free program: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
(it's also an excellent program imo)
iii) Go to Tools > Filter Driver Load Order. Select "drvmcdb". Click "Remove Selected Filter". Select "drvmcdb". Click "Remove Selected Filter". Click "ok".
iv) Reboot

Keep in mind that whatever Sonic program installed that filter will no longer function properly.

Other than that I'm out of suggestions. It's entirely possible the drive is starting to go.

given the fact that it works 1 or 2 times out of 10, doesn't that say it is more likely the drive going (varying laser intensity, etc.) instead of the driver you mention ? if it were caused by the driver why would it would at all, even once out of many tries ?

thanx.

given the fact that it works 1 or 2 times out of 10, doesn't that say it is more likely the drive going (varying laser intensity, etc.) instead of the driver you mention ?

I would suspect so, yes.

if it were caused by the driver why would it would at all

I've seen that situation occur before on others' systems when filters created conflicts (would work under certain conditions--but most of the time caused conflicts).

I have Roxio myDVD installed (written by Sonic) ... so maybe I should un-install it and see if things improve, that should remove this driver. If not, get a new DVD burner ?

I have Roxio myDVD installed (written by Sonic) ... so maybe I should un-install it and see if things improve, that should remove this driver.

Hopefully . . . double check with imgburn (it's important that the filter is removed)

If not, get a new DVD burner ?

Can you simply check using another dvd-rom drive on your system (provided you have another drive)?

OK, I:

removed anyDVD
re-booted
inserted original DVD
saw it in My Computer OK, Windows tried to play it with Media Player but protected

Actually, this suggests to me that there's a conflict with Anydvd and another program or driver on your system rather than there being a reading issue with your burner (or possibly an issue with your ide busmaster driver). If the burner is otherwise able to read discs perfectly fine without Anydvd installed, then there appears to be an issue with Anydvd running properly on your system.

Before you reinstalled Anydvd, did you run CCleaner (especially the registry cleaner part of that program)?

Last edited:
ok, I removed Roxio and verified the driver in ? was gone. but still can't read a DVD with anyDVD running. Conclude it is the drive ?

ok, I removed Roxio and verified the driver in ? was gone. but still can't read a DVD with anyDVD running. Conclude it is the drive ?

Based on the fact the drive reads dvds fine with Anydvd uninstalled, it seems more likely to me something is conflicting with Anydvd on your system. But I'm not sure at this time what that would be.

Perhaps others will offer suggestions.

Last edited:
sorry, I caused some confusion. After I removed Roxio and the driver in ?, I uninstalled anyDVD, and ran CCleaner.

after rebooting, Windows is also intermittant reading the DVD in the drive ... about as bad as it was with all installed.

suggests to me the drive ?

after rebooting, Windows is also intermittant reading the DVD in the drive ... about as bad as it was with all installed.

suggests to me the drive ?

Yeah, that does suggest the drive to me then, unless, of course, the original disc is bad.

Is the drive incapable of reading all discs or just certain ones?

If the answer is just certain ones, did you run a discscan?

Download Nero cd-dvd speed. It's a free program. With Anydvd running in the background, select the tab labeled "scandisc". Select the appropriate drive letter, and click "start". If Nero cd-dvd speed reports read errors, your disc is (probably) bad and needs to be exchanged--even if it plays fine (or your optical drive could be slowly dying).

Without having another dvd-rom or writer to test with, the problem is a little more difficult to narrow down.

However, simply trying a new drive should be easy enough. Most non-Plextor burners are fairly inexpensive. Getting a new drive to test with should be relatively painless, I would think.

Last edited:
I have had this osue off and on for months with many different commercial DVD movies, so I dont think it is a disk issue.

The drive seems to bur DVDs OK, and reads and writes CD's ... but has this
issue reading commercial copy-protected DVDs.

think I'll by a drive, can you sugest any ? how about Lite-on, others ?

Last edited:
Back