• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Commentary trouble with Live Free or Die Hard

Nalizan

I am backing up this movie using the cloneDVD2 option that includes all menus and titles. I have preserve menus checked. This should copy the movie exactly as it is on the DVD correct?

The trouble I am having is the theatrical version plays ok with normal audio. You can select french or commentary or whatever and it changes like it should. However if you select unrated version it plays only with the commentary. I have tried selecting English 5.1 from the menu and it still plays with commentary. I tried going to the menu and selecting to turn off commentary yet no change. I even tried from the menu button on my Xbox 360 for audio and it only lists 1 audio track and you can not change it off commentary.

I did look at the frequently asked questions about this and I have tried backing it up without the last audio 3/2 which is for the commentary yet it still does not work right.

:confused:

Select "Clone DvD" from Clonedvd2's startup menu

Yea thats what I meant. I used that. I have backed up a lot of DVDs with Clone DVD2. I have run into this problem a few times but on some discs I was able to get around it. Example was Heroes season 1 DVDs. Some of the episodes that had commentary would only play in that unless you started one without and then fast forwarded (not skip chapter that would get you stuck on commentary again) to the episode.

Anyway back on topic. Yes I used Clone DVD and I use DL media so I can get the whole movie exactly how it was made. In this case it just seems to not be working right

Anyway back on topic. Yes I used Clone DVD and I use DL media so I can get the whole movie exactly how it was made.

You never will with Clonedvd because it does not preserve the original layer break position.

If you're using DL media, I suggest this method instead (I never use Clonedvd with DL media): http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=327

If you've selected every single titleset and all audio in Clonedvd and chose to preserve the main menus, then there may be an issue with Clonedvd and this disc; I'm not sure. My point is that you should trying choosing to backup everything and see if that helps.

Last edited:
I really want to comment on this thread but I don't know where to begin. I can't see where the source of this problem would be. I had no issues with the default (AC3/6 EN) audio playing as it should for my backup.

I really want to comment on this thread but I don't know where to begin. I can't see where the source of this problem would be. I had no issues with the default (AC3/6 EN) audio playing as it should for my backup.

Then the problem is with either the titlesets or audio that Nalizan is choosing to backup.

More info please ?

did you record on DL media or compress ?

did you select all audio files or just some ?

your comment was not really helpful. I am glad it worked for you. How does that help me ?

If I am selecting them all then how is there a problem ?

If Drinklyeanddie isn't having any issue then I can only conclude something either isn't being selected properly in Clonedvd--or this is a specific issue involving whatever standalone dvd player you're using.

Did you try playing your backup on your computer?

I just tried the disc in another player in the bedroom and also on the PC and it does the same thing. There are no other audio sources to choose from either from any of the players.

This would not be an issue with burning it too fast or something weird like that would it ? I just want to get the best information I can before I keep making coasters out of DL media.

I do not have Clone CD so I can not try what you suggested previously :(

I did look at the frequently asked questions about this and I have tried backing it up without the last audio 3/2 which is for the commentary yet it still does not work right.

This comment really doesn't make any sense. If you haven't selected any commentary to backup within Clonedvd, then it's impossible for commentary to play on your backup. Period.

The description in the FAQ tells you to listen to the audio choices on your computer using Powerdvd or something similar to determine what audio selections you should be making.

Last edited:
This would not be an issue with burning it too fast or something weird like that would it ?

no

I do not have Clone CD so I can not try what you suggested previously

You can, since there is a 21 day free trial.

I have fairly strong opinions concerning Clonedvd and DL media, but I tend to keep those comments to myself. Clonecd, in my opinion, is a far better option (also Clonecd will also backup PC files that may appear as bonus material, such as screensavers, etc., whereas Clonedvd will not). Clonedvd is great as a ripper, and it's great for using with single layer discs. But I will never use it with my Verbatim +R DL blank media (which is the only stuff I use now for my backups, so, in fact, I rarely use Clonedvd any more).

Last edited:
This comment really doesn't make any sense. If you haven't selected any commentary within Clonedvd, then it's impossible for commentary to play on your backup.

The description in the FAQ tells you to listen to the audio choices on your computer using Powerdvd or something similar to determine what audio selections you should be making.

Yes it does not make sense thats was the reason for the thread. I attempted the backup the first time selecting everything and it did not work. After reading the FAQ I then made another coaster trying to take out the ac 3/2 file (the last one listed as I found to be the commentary via Intervideo WinDVD) and still ran into the same trouble.

I will make 1 more now with it taken out again to make sure I didnt uncheck the wrong one. This still does not tell me why it does not work if I have them all selected. Should I not have the option to change it from the DVD menu as it was designed?

Last edited:
Should I not have the option to change it from the DVD menu as it was designed?

If everything is selected, then you're right: it should work. Obviously if commentary is not on the backup, however, then it can't play. If it did play, then you did back up commentary. Also, manually cycling through the audio tracks on your dvd player's remote while the movie is playing should also offer you the option to listen to the proper audio track during playback.

This may very well be a bug with Clonedvd and this particular disc; I'm not sure.

However, if I were you, I would not waste my time and blank media attempting to resolve this issue with Clonedvd, but simply use Clonecd instead. Clonecd simply eliminates a lot of headaches (but you should really only be using Verbatim +R DL blank media made in Singapore). Granted, you can't remove material with Clonecd (and you can with Clonedvd).

Last edited:
If everything is selected, then you're right: it should work. Obviously if commentary is not on the backup, however, then it can't play. If it did play, then you did back up commentary. Also, manually cycling through the audio tracks on your dvd player's remote while the movie is playing should also offer you the option to listen to the proper audio track during playback.

This may very well be a bug with Clonedvd and this particular disc; I'm not sure.

However, if I were you, I would not waste my time and blank media attempting to resolve this issue with Clonedvd, but simply use Clonecd instead. Clonecd simply eliminates a lot of headaches (but you should really only be using Verbatim +R DL blank media made in Singapore). Granted, you can't remove material with Clonecd (and you can with Clonedvd).

Alright. Thank you for all your replies and suggestions. I was able to leave out the commentary this time around so atleast it plays the movie ok now just without the commentary. Going forward I will try your method with Clonecd. Thanks again

-Nalizan

Sorry. I had a busy and not-so-great day. I just saw new posts in this thread.

I ripped the disc to my HDD using AnyDVD & CloneDVD w/o compression. I used whatever was the latest version of both programs the day of release for the movie. Sorry, I can't remember which was the latest release (or beta) on that day. If there was a beta then I used that. I removed all titles except 1 & 2. The other titles are garbage. I removed the French audio but left both the AC3/6 EN (default audio) and AC3/2 EN (commentary). I checked to make sure it played correctly from my HDD and it did. I then compressed it to DVD-5 using DVD-RB Pro and it played fine from the HDD. I then burned it and it plays flawlessly in multiple standalone DVD players.

Back