• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AI Scanner has failed, error -1!

sbclark

Hi,

Can anybody tell me how to deal with this particular error message so I can backup this DVD? Thank you for your help!

S

Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 6.2.0.1)
PIONEER DVD-RWDVR-106D 1.00 03/07/31PIONEER
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-r (version 5), Layers: 1
Total size: 2294204 sectors (4480 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: MARGOT AT THE WEDDING
Media is not CSS protected.
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is region free.

RCE protection not found.
ERROR: AI Scanner has failed, error -1!
Structural copy protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

Wow, that's not good.

1. Update to Anydvd 6.2.0.2: click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=10074

2) a)Click the red fox icon on your toolbar.
b) Navigate to "Program Settings".
c) Click "enable logging".
d) Click "ok".
e) Put the problematic disc in your optical drive/reader.
f) Go to your My Documents folder
g) You will see a zip file called "Anydvd_Info_titleofmydisc.zip"
h) When replying or posting in the Slysoft forums, look for the icon that looks like
attach.gif

i) if you don't see that icon, click the "go advanced" button. You should see that icon now. Click the paperclip.
j) a small pop-up screen should appear (if it doesn't please ensure your browser is enabled to allow pop-ups from the Slysoft forums)
k) click the "Browse" button, and locate and select the .zip file you created.
l) click "upload"

Thanks

Booktype: dvd-r (version 5), Layers: 1!

Edit: Nevermind

This is not a commercially released dvd. This is some messy backup or something recorded from a standalone dvd recorder (probably in dvd-vr format).

Anydvd is intended for use with commercially released dvd movies only.

Last edited:
Edit: Nevermind

This is not a commercially released dvd. This is some messy backup or something recorded from a standalone dvd recorder (probably in dvd-vr format).

Anydvd is intended for use with commercially released dvd movies only.

No, you're right it is not yet commercially released, but it is not a messy dvd backup. It is an Academy screener that I like to backup because they so often crap out after a couple of viewings. It is a dvd of "Margot At The Wedding" so it comes directly from Paramount/Vantage. I'm also getting this same error message with my "Lust Caution" DVD. Trust me -- these are just backups because the repercussions are too severe for me to ever let these in-release now movies out of my hands.

No, you're right it is not yet commercially released, but it is not a messy dvd backup. It is an Academy screener

I am unable to assist you further. Perhaps others might . . .

Last edited:
Thank you -- hey, they're free and sent out every year by my guild so what am I gonna do, ya know? I'll try what you suggest though. Thanks for your advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you -- hey, they're free and sent out every year by my guild so what am I gonna do, ya know? I'll try what you suggest though. Thanks for your advice.

I'm sorry, but I am unable to assist you further. Others may be able to.

There doesn't appear to be any protection on the disc. Don't use AnyDVD.

Try cloning it with CloneCD, Nero Burning Rom ("CopyDVD"), or ImgBurn (which is free, do "Read," then "Write").

sbclark said:
.....It is an Academy screener that I like to backup because they so often crap out after a couple of viewings.....
@ sbclark,

Explain how a DVD-R degrades "after a couple playback viewings" ?

If Quality blank DVR-R Media was used when recording the ‘Academy Screener’ it would not degrade after a couple of playback viewings.

Your “often crap out after a couple of viewings” problem is a classic problem when Poor Quality blank DVD-R Media is used.

You would expect anyone involved in the Motion Picture industry especially Paramount/Vantage would be using Quality blank DVD-R Media when making their ‘Academy Screener’. Your remedy is to contact your ‘directly from Paramount/Vantage’ “Buddy” and inform him/her not be such a cheapskate and use Quality blank DVR-R Media when making the ‘Academy Screener’ then you would not be experiencing your “often crap out after a couple of viewings” problem.

Regards,
Coaster

There doesn't appear to be any protection on the disc. Don't use AnyDVD.
I am still curious why there is an error from AI Scanner, but we'll never know as people refuse to post the AnyDVD_Info file ... :mad:

Anyway, this message can be ignored, so CloneCD should indeed do the job. "Don't use AnyDVD" is a bad advice, it should be running all the time.

I apologize. :eek:

sbclark, please help the developer out by following Webslinger's instructions and posting your info file. :agree:

I am still curious why there is an error from AI Scanner, but we'll never know as people refuse to post the AnyDVD_Info file ... :mad:

Anyway, this message can be ignored, so CloneCD should indeed do the job. "Don't use AnyDVD" is a bad advice, it should be running all the time.

I'd be happy to post the AnyDVD_Info file -- just tell me how to do it, k?

@ sbclark,

Explain how a DVD-R degrades "after a couple playback viewings" ?

Coaster

Hi Coaster,
This is what I mean... I'm a member of 'the Academy' so they send out screeners to people who may not make it out to the theaters and catch their movies. They, the Academy, send out a lot of discs and they are, as they should be, very concerned about piracy. So I would imagine it helps them if they 'crap out' sooner making it less likely that people would post the movies on the internet. No sane Academy member would ever do that because it is suicide. The disc is imprinted with your membership information and if their video goes global, they know who to go after.

I'd be happy to post the AnyDVD_Info file -- just tell me how to do it, k?

1. Update to Anydvd 6.2.0.2: click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=10074

2) a)Click the red fox icon on your toolbar.
b) Navigate to "Program Settings".
c) Click "enable logging".
d) Click "ok".
e) Put the problematic disc in your optical drive/reader.
f) Go to your My Documents folder
g) You will see a zip file called "Anydvd_Info_titleofmydisc.zip"
h) When replying or posting in the Slysoft forums, look for the icon that looks like
attach.gif

i) if you don't see that icon, click the "go advanced" button. You should see that icon now. Click the paperclip.
j) a small pop-up screen should appear (if it doesn't please ensure your browser is enabled to allow pop-ups from the Slysoft forums)
k) click the "Browse" button, and locate and select the .zip file you created.
l) click "upload"

sbclark said:
Hi Coaster,
This is what I mean... I'm a member of 'the Academy' so they send out screeners to people who may not make it out to the theaters and catch their movies. They, the Academy, send out a lot of discs and they are, as they should be, very concerned about piracy. So I would imagine it helps them if they 'crap out' sooner making it less likely that people would post the movies on the internet. No sane Academy member would ever do that because it is suicide. The disc is imprinted with your membership information and if their video goes global, they know who to go after.
@ sbclark,

If as you say the Academy Screener Disk is imprinted with your “Personal Membership Information” it doesn’t make ANY sense to use cheap crap blank DVD Media that “often crap out after a couple of viewings” as some feeble Anti Piracy Prevention device.

There are numerous other more practical and more reliable means other than using cheap crap blank DVD Media such as “Video Water Marking” to prevent an unsavory “Academy Member” from unauthorized distribution of Official “Academy Screener” releases.

I would believe that a Professional Organization such as the Academy Of Motion Picture Arts And Sciences (Academy Awards) would be able to avail themselves to the simple Anti Piracy Prevention technology as Content Scramble System (CSS) Protection and Region Coding of Official “Academy Screener” releases to “Academy Members” just like ALL other original Commercial DVD Movie releases. The Academy Of Motion Picture Arts And Sciences (Academy Awards) should also be able to have their Official “Academy Screener” releases to “Academy Members” professionally manufactured and would not have to resort to home computer DVD Burner duplication of their Official “Academy Screener” releases such as displayed in your #1 Forum posting. I would also assume that the Academy Of Motion Picture Arts And Sciences (Academy Awards) would desire their “Academy Members” to view the Official “Academy Screener” release in an “uncompressed” format and not be attempting to cram a potential Academy Award winning Motion Picture on a 4.7GB DVD-R disk when 8.5GB DL Media is readily available.

Perhaps it might be prudent to contact your ‘directly from Paramount/Vantage’ “Buddy” and ask him/her these simples questions concerning your “Academy Members” Official “Academy Screener” release.

Regards,
Coaster

@ sbclark,

Perhaps it might be prudent to contact your ‘directly from Paramount/Vantage’ “Buddy” and ask him/her these simples questions concerning your “Academy Members” Official “Academy Screener” release.

Regards,
Coaster

Hey Coaster,
You make some very good points. I'm not really complaining -- I'm just happy to get the discs and watch the films. If they 'crap out' on occasion, c'est la vie. I'm not bucking their system -- I just appreciate that they do run the risk of anti-piracy, but sending these discs out to academy members. Compression or not, I don't mind backing them up so I have them for the years to come. I'm done on this topic now.

Here tis, Webslinger... Please lend any help you can. Thanks very much! (This is for "The Kite Runner" in which I was getting the same error message.)

Thanks for the file. I don't see any problem. Just copy it using CloneCD.

Back