• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Computer unable to read backups

blkstealthsteel

Hello eveyone, can anyone help me understand what would cause a backed up disc not able to be played/read in my computer drive yet it can be played / read on the external drive it was made on? Its it the brand of disc? or could it possibly be the computer drive itself,

Hello eveyone, can anyone help me understand what would cause a backed up disc not able to be played/read in my computer drive yet it can be played / read on the external drive it was made on? Its it the brand of disc? or could it possibly be the computer drive itself,
What is the model of your drive?

Some players do not play all formats. You should try to bitset DVD+ media to DVD Rom. If you do not know how to do this we will help you.:agree:

Some drives can have a hard time with:

1)Format of media,make sure it's quality stuff like Taiyo yuden,Verbatim,
2)Certain MID coded media. The MID code can change between batches of identically marked and packed blanks.
3)Certain burn engine
4) Paper/sticker labels-major nono
5)Even different burners which would be Burner Quality.

I've used 9 different dvd burners and their is a huge compatability difference between their backups.I've got 6 booktyping drives that'll play in over 95% stand alone players,game consoles,and pc drives. My other HP,Khypermedia,and I/O magic 16x couldn't even come close to that rate.

Highest compatability rate- Booktyped plus format to dvd-rom with a bitsetting capable drive: Benq,Lite-on,LG,Plextor,Some sony and NEC drives.

If you don't have a booktyping capable burner-Then the dash format. The regular plus format media will yield the lowest compatability rate.

blkstealthsteel: What's the brand name and model# of your burner?

A few months ago (or maybe it's been more than a year), I bought some media that I recorded on and then couldn't play on anything except for another PC attached DVD drive. It would not even play on the device that it was recorded on. Apparently, it changed the "Book" type of a DVD-R to a DVD+RW and caused all sorts of havoc. But.... then that's should have expected when buying DVD Media for $18 per hundred (shipping included) - Thanks SHOP4Tech......I have tons of "coffee costers - unrecorded of course).....

Apparently, it changed the "Book" type of a DVD-R to a DVD+RW and caused all sorts of havoc.

I've never heard of that before. Only the plus format can be set to booktype to dvd-rom. +R/+RW/and +R DL.

I know bad media can be a pain in the a**,especially when purchasing off the web. Not only getting good media,but making sure you didn't get a hold of counterfeits like fake taiyo yuden.

G-Omaha: Here's a free program to see if the booktype has changed for your backups:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/dvd_identifier.cfm

Insert backup disc,open dvd identifier,select the drive that the backup disc is in,and click identify. It'll then show you media type and booktyped.

Just like this:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:MAXELL-002-000]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD-ROM]
Manufacturer Name : [Hitachi Maxell Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID : [MAXELL]
Media Type ID : [002]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]

That backup is booktyped.