• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

I think SlySoft should buy CloneDVD

plato

Anyway, James said the Elaborate Byte developers are working on this problem.

I think Elaborate Bytes is sleeping, otherwise they would immediately fix the issue and release a new version. I have read in the forum that some users informed the technical support of Elaborate Bytes about the layer break issue but no one took them seriously... (!). From my point of view SlySoft should purchase CloneDVD too because James and his staff do a great work with CloneCD and AnyDVD. Especially they have always an open ear to what users are reporting (for example bugs) and they fix them in the next release. With CloneDVD they would do a good work, too.

Why did they sell CloneCD then?

Because it circumvents copy protection and, as such, is illegal to develop and sell in many countries

Clonedvd does not circumvent copy protection. The very very very old code from Anydvd originally came from Elaborate Bytes as well.

Last edited:
Because it circumvents copy protection and, as such, is illegal to develop and sell in many countries. Clonedvd does not circumvent copy protection. The very very very old code from Anydvd originally came from Elaborate Bytes as well.

For sure. But CloneCD 5 isn't able to copy protected media by himself. It is just able when using AnyDVD for example, so it is not illegal.

For sure. But CloneCD 5 isn't able to copy protected media by himself.

You are mistaken. You forgot about copy protection on games and PC software, which was the original intent of Clonecd (but without emulation Clonecd has really fallen behind in this regard; Game Jackal picks up the slack) . . .

Last edited:
You forgot about copy protection on games.

No. In CloneCD 5 it is not able to make different settings for different copy protections as it was in CloneCD 1-4. So I cannot understand why it is illegal. Even if it would be illegal why should they sell CloneCD 5? I mean whether SlySoft or Elaborate Bytes is the producer it wouldn't change the fact that it is illegal?!

No. In CloneCD 5 it is not able to make different settings for different copy protections as it was in CloneCD 1-4.

Again, you are mistaken. Clonecd can use different settings, and it does "amplify weak sectors" for cds. For dvds, there's just one profile.

Even if it would be illegal why should they sell CloneCD 5?

Because it's illegal for them to develop and sell Clonecd in Europe

Any number of companies could sue Elby and possibly manage to shut them down if they continued to develop Clonecd

I mean whether SlySoft

Slysoft is located in Antigua, where it's not illegal to develop and sell Clonecd, Anydvd, and Game Jackal (which use to be developed in Australia before Slysoft bought the program). The DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) does not affect Slysoft in Antigua. The DMCA, by the way, makes it illegal to circumvent digital copy protection measures to even produce a backup (and your Fair Use Rights do not take precendence).

Clonedvd mobile (developed by peer and possibly Joseph . . . I can't remember) and Clonedvd could be developed anywhere, but the other programs can't be.

Last edited:
Again, you are mistaken. Clonecd can use different settings, and it does "amplify weak sectors" for cds. For dvds, there's just one profile.

Because it's illegal for them to develop and sell Clonecd in Europe. Any number of companies could sue Elby and possibly manage to shut them down if they continued to develop Clonecd

Slysoft is located in Antigua, where it's not illegal to develop and sell Clonecd, Anydvd, and Game Jackal (which use to be developed in Australia before Slysoft bought the program). The DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) does not affect Slysoft in Antigua. The DMCA, by the way, makes it illegal to circumvent digital copy protection measures to even produce a backup (and your Fair Use Rights do not take precendence).

Clonedvd mobile (developed by peer and possibly Joseph . . . I can't remember) and Clonedvd could be developed anywhere, but the other programs can't be.

O.k.... But my first post was not about illegal programs but about Elaborate Bytes. Of course they will not sell CloneDVD because it is the last program they offer, so the company would not exist anymore. But again: SlySoft would do a better work than Elaborate Bytes if SlySoft would develop CloneDVD!

But again: SlySoft would do a better work than Elaborate Bytes if SlySoft would develop CloneDVD!

I don't see the problem with how Elaborate Bytes develops CloneDVD. Generally speaking when updates normally are necessary the product that needs them is AnyDVD. CloneDVD does get updated when it's necessary but it's a less frequent requirement. Remember Slysoft even licensed portions of CloneDVD for use in the AnyDVD ripper.

The current business relationship between the companies works out just fine and I don't see CloneDVD being a better product if Slysoft owned it rather than Elaborate Bytes.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Last edited:
...I don't see CloneDVD being a better product if Slysoft owned it rather than Elaborate Bytes.

This is your personal opinion. From my point of view SlySoft would do a better work. For example you can see this with the SlySoft forum that makes it possible for every user to post his or her problems. Furthermore it is more than great that the chief developer James supports everybody in the forum.
There does not exist any Elaborate Bytes forum and they even do not take users seriously when they reporting issues or bugs.

This thread originally came from here: click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=9296

I assumed that already, Webslinger. :) My real point in saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is about the business relationship. It works just fine.

James posted they are aware of the problem and it should be resolved in the next release, hopefully. I'm also under the impression that the addition of information about the LBA in the LOG files was added to help pinpoint this problem but I could be wrong. It was changes in AnyDVD when the A.I. Scanner was added that caused the layer break problems to crop up.

Okay, so maybe the support is a little lacking. I haven't had any issues so I can't complain.

I think Elaborate Bytes is sleeping, otherwise they would immediately fix the issue and release a new version. I have read in the forum that some users informed the technical support of Elaborate Bytes about the layer break issue but no one took them seriously... (!). From my point of view SlySoft should purchase CloneDVD too because James and his staff do a great work with CloneCD and AnyDVD. Especially they have always an open ear to what users are reporting (for example bugs) and they fix them in the next release. With CloneDVD they would do a good work, too.

Don't worry, they aren't sleeping. But they are Swiss, so they are making a thorough job of it. I have a beta version which is said to fix the "layer break problem" (which I never considered a "problem" myself), and I will test it if I have the time and don't have to answer your questions, and I will report back to them, then they will make changes, then I will test it, .... :D

EDIT:
Regarding support: Hell, what do you *really* expect? That they support questions from SlySoft customers? That support people are technical geniuses? For a 39$ product? Haha, good joke. Ever phoned up Dell (or any other company for that matter) support?

Last edited:
Okay, so maybe the support is a little lacking. I haven't had any issues so I can't complain.
For a 39$ product any support going beyond sales support (lost key, registration email not received ...) is more than anybody can expect. Really. ;)

Back