• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Xbox 360 hd-dvd w/this program question

Nova Phoenix

Hello.

The hd-dvd player for the 360 is not HDCP compliant. This much I know. So...

...if I was to hook this up to a PC that was connected to my TV/AVR(whichever is better for all hardware concerned) via HDMI, and had AnyDVD HD enabled all the time, would the HD-DVD movies be able to play with their high-definition audio?

I heard somewhere that they can't when the player is connected to a 360 via HDMI.

Hello.

The hd-dvd player for the 360 is not HDCP compliant. This much I know. So...

Well, what you know is wrong, I'm afraid. The drive has absolutely NOTHING to do with HDCP compliance. Your video card and TV would need to be HDCP compliant, but, the drive has nothing to do with it. It's just an HD DVD drive in a USB case. It has no audio or video outputs on it.

...if I was to hook this up to a PC that was connected to my TV/AVR(whichever is better for all hardware concerned) via HDMI, and had AnyDVD HD enabled all the time, would the HD-DVD movies be able to play with their high-definition audio?

I heard somewhere that they can't when the player is connected to a 360 via HDMI.

You heard somewhere? Oy. :) You need better sources! LOL. Anyway, it's true that the 360 currently can't do the lossless, uncompressed audio formats, however, once again, this has NOTHING to do with the drive. Your playback abilities are tied to your playback hardware...meaning your video card and audio outputs. If you have one of those nice ATI 2600 series cards with HDMI out, I *BELIEVE* you might be able to do uncompressed audio to a receiver that has HDMI input. That's always been the theory but to date I don't think I've seen anyone confirm that. Hopefully this sets the record straight for you. If you have HDCP compliant hardware, AnyDVD HD isn't required for playback, but, it sure does make it a lot more fun. :)

I *BELIEVE* you might be able to do uncompressed audio to a receiver that has HDMI input. That's always been the theory but to date I don't think I've seen anyone confirm that.

You can get Dolby 5:1 and DTS out of the HDMI as it only loops the SPDIF output through the HDMI. BUT powerDVD apparently (according to Cyberlink) downsamples ALL digital outputs as part of it's HDCP/AACS compliance. If you want anything better decode in your PC and use the analogue outputs

As far as I know

Last edited:
the newer 2600's have a built in soundcard for decoding and outputting thru the HDMI, but it still only goes up to 5.1 AC3

the newer 2600's have a built in soundcard for decoding and outputting thru the HDMI, but it still only goes up to 5.1 AC3

Or 5.1 DTS.

You can get Dolby 5:1 and DTS out of the HDMI as it only loops the SPDIF output through the HDMI. BUT powerDVD apparently (according to Cyberlink) downsamples ALL digital outputs as part of it's HDCP/AACS compliance. If you want anything better decode in your PC and use the analogue outputs

As far as I know
It I trust the display in ReClock, it downsamples the analog outputs, too. Seems logical, as PowerDVD cannot distinguish whether the card is outputting 5.1. analog or 5.1 PCM. But I certainly can live with 48kHz/16Bit 5.1/7.1 sound.

Well that sucks! So you're telling me if I were to get a receiver that had HDMI inputs(which may happen sometime next year) that there's no way for me to get uncompressed HD audio out to it from my HTPC?? Did I ever mention that I *HATE* PowerDVD Ultra? sigh...

Well that sucks! So you're telling me if I were to get a receiver that had HDMI inputs(which may happen sometime next year) that there's no way for me to get uncompressed HD audio out to it from my HTPC?? Did I ever mention that I *HATE* PowerDVD Ultra? sigh...

No need to hate PowerDVD, as there is currently no way to get 5.1/7.1 LPCM out of your PC via HDMI because there is no card, which can do this anyway.

My current TV and my AVR seem to be HDCP-compliant, as my PS3 and the AVR are able to process and output "linear pcm" (lossless audio?) whilst playing "King Arthur Director's Cut" (BR). I can tell because the entire movie is louder when this audio track - Linear pcm", is enabled.

The GPU for my future would-be PC would be from the 8800GT series. See in the near future I hope to get a Kuro Plasma by Pioneer (named PDP508XDA in Australia). I'd hope to hook the above-mentioned PC up to it via HDMI, or DVI+Optical (depends on the GPU). Because apart from HD-DVDs, I'd also want to play games on it too.

In any case, I understand now that the player is not the "enemy" here.

Is PowerDVD the only program out there that can play HD-DVDs?

No need to hate PowerDVD, as there is currently no way to get 5.1/7.1 LPCM out of your PC via HDMI because there is no card, which can do this anyway.

If there were such a card, wouldn't PowerDVD Ultra still downconvert the audio?

Back