• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

I want to complain about AnyDVD's release notes

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

banders100

In a recent email from slysoft informing me of an update to AnyDVDHD the following message was included:
- Note to people considering to invest in HD media: Please buy HD DVD
instead of Blu-ray. HD DVD is much more consumer friendly (e.g., no region
coding, AACS not mandatory, no BD+). Don't give your money to people,
who throw your fair-use rights out of the window.

First what facts do you have that HD-DVD is consumer friendly? Do you mean cheaper? The fact is blu-ray is already considered the clear winner in this so-called war and the consumer has already made a clear choice and that choice is blu-ray. Blu-ray is outselling HD-DVD by 3 to 1. Go to Best Buy and look at the available titles. In a recent visit I saw two shelves of HD-DVD titles and 6 shelves of blu-ray titles. The blu-ray titles are also the best movies available. Go to Blockbuster video and ask for an HD-DVD movie and you will get laughed at, as they ONLY carry Blu-ray movies.

I don't know what the motivation is for Slysoft to ask everyone to buy HD-DVD, unless maybe they are having a harder time creating software to handle blu-ray, but at any rate, Slysoft will learn as others will, that HD-DVD will die a slow painful death. You can't argue consumer sales and with blu-ray beating HD-DVD by 3 to 1 there is no doubt who the clear winner already is.
One other fact to consider when making the choice for yourself is this. The biggest supporter of HD-DVD is Microsoft. Microsoft can't get windows right so how the hell are they going to get video right? I don't know about you, but I don't want Microsoft in my life an more than they already are. Another fact to consider. If you use HD-DVD for computer backup or copying files you will have 10GB per disc LESS the the 25GB of blu-ray for data storage. Most people only think about movies, but should also think about computer usage as well. The HD_DVD blanks are considerably more expensive when you figure price per GB. I am a video producer and as far as video is concerned blu-ray titles are far less compressed than those of HD-DVD, just do the math 15GB for HD_DVD to put video on or 25GB for blu-ray. Pretty easy choice, not to mention that if you check supermediastore.com or meritline, you won't fin an HD-DVD burner. All professional video companies and most all movie studios are using blu-ray.

In a recent email from slysoft informing me of an update to AnyDVDHD the following message was included:
- Note to people considering to invest in HD media: Please buy HD DVD
who throw your fair-use rights out of the window.

First what facts do you have that HD-DVD is consumer friendly? Do you mean cheaper? The fact is blu-ray is already considered the clear winner in this so-called war and the consumer has already made a clear choice and that choice is blu-ray. Blu-ray is outselling HD-DVD by 3 to 1. Go to Best Buy and look at the available titles. In a recent visit I saw two shelves of HD-DVD titles and 6 shelves of blu-ray titles. The blu-ray titles are also the best movies available. Go to Blockbuster video and ask for an HD-DVD movie and you will get laughed at, as they ONLY carry Blu-ray movies.

I don't know what the motivation is for Slysoft to ask everyone to buy HD-DVD, unless maybe they are having a harder time creating software to handle blu-ray, but at any rate, Slysoft will learn as others will, that HD-DVD will die a slow painful death. You can't argue consumer sales and with blu-ray beating HD-DVD by 3 to 1 there is no doubt who the clear winner already is.
One other fact to consider when making the choice for yourself is this. The biggest supporter of HD-DVD is Microsoft. Microsoft can't get windows right so how the hell are they going to get video right? I don't know about you, but I don't want Microsoft in my life an more than they already are. Another fact to consider. If you use HD-DVD for computer backup or copying files you will have 10GB per disc LESS the the 25GB of blu-ray for data storage. Most people only think about movies, but should also think about computer usage as well. The HD_DVD blanks are considerably more expensive when you figure price per GB. I am a video producer and as far as video is concerned blu-ray titles are far less compressed than those of HD-DVD, just do the math 15GB for HD_DVD to put video on or 25GB for blu-ray. Pretty easy choice, not to mention that if you check supermediastore.com or meritline, you won't fin an HD-DVD burner. All professional video companies and most all movie studios are using blu-ray.

i dont think this is the place for this debate but, slysoft supports both formats right now but they do have a preference, as for your other comments you are just wrong no one has won the war and i would bet both will be around for a very long time, also bluray does out sell hd dvd but is more like 1.75 to 1 but the bad thing for blu ray is they have something like 9 x the amount of players thats not a very good attract rate the fact is toshiba cant make them fast enough. when toshiba has as many players as blu does than will see who sells more, oh and the blockbuster buy me has all the new releases on hd dvd as well as blu ray, and you must not have heard hd dvd just approved 51 gig disks (lets hear your spin on this one):doh: is hd dvd behind on the burners yes but that will change. but im not here to debate ;)

Last edited:
While I found your little rant quite humorous, there's really no place for it here. If you feel like waving the Blu-ray pom poms, you always can go to blu-ray.com and cheer all you want and bash HD DVD until your heart's desire.

This forum is for people to share their experiences with HD DVD and Blu-ray playback and ripping on PCs, not for format war rants.

Slysoft's release notes are spot on in accuracy - PERIOD. They didn't say HD DVD was selling more software or is technologically superior, they only said HD DVD is more consumer friendly, and that is indisputable. Blu-ray has region coding, HD DVD requires no region coding; Blu-ray has mandatory DRM and (some) have BD+, HD DVD does not. BD+ is quite possibly the most sinister widespread DRM ever proposed, particularly with its ability to run native code. I'm guessing you don't have any idea what that means, otherwise you'd understand that HD DVD is clearly more consumer friendly than Blu-ray.

dude it's simple, Blu-ray has region coding and BD+, HD-DVD doesn't. Now which would the consumer rather have?

I have been following this forums a while now, and seen some great work done. But i just have to react to the quote above: Its just too hilarious not to reply to. To me it reads: "We can't crack BD+, so please use HD DVD only".

I wish there were 10 different HD media, so all could compete and the best will win, so the sooner we get 10 cent blanks.

The bluray camp is getting EXACTLY what they want; controlled hardware and software players ... Have they won?

Aren't you people making money because of the protection on the discs??

[This thread has been screenshot and stored]
[Friends: tweakers.net fok.nl doom9.org neowin.net, what is censorship?]

so i take it your hard at work finishing up breaking BD+ then??? i love how people think this stuff is like boiling an egg. maybe IF the comsumers complained more to the studio's AND decided to use their power to make or break a company/studio by NOT buying their stuff then maybe anydvd has a point... people buy this **** and then go to a completely different company to bitch and moan that they cant backup cd/dvd/BR/HD-DVD ... its pretty pathetic actually...

Last edited by a moderator:
@Everyone,

Do not swear in these forums. :policeman:

If I come back here and if I have to babysit, I will not be pleased. I may start banning people.

You can argue. But be civil. Please make my life a little easier. Thank you

As for the BD+ nonsense, James stated quite clearly why he doesn't like Blu-ray well before BD+ was ever announced. He didn't want to support Blu-ray at all even before it was supported in Anydvd HD (and this is quite awhile ago; this is not a recent development; I'm pretty sure he didn't like Blu-ray when I first joined these forums). If it were up to James, I think it's safe to say that Anydvd HD would never have supported Blu-ray; Slysoft would not be in the process of breaking BD+; and SamuriHL would be second guessing all of his Blu-ray purchases. :D The release notes do not reflect a perceived inability to crack BD+ on Slysoft's part, but rather James' longstanding distrust of the Blu-ray format. I'm of the opinion Slysoft is committed to cracking BD+.

All you people have to do is use the "search" function. http://forum.slysoft.com/showpost.php?p=57914&postcount=17 (James has made many other posts way before that one as well).

Last edited:
sorry i typed what i am thinking and thought a filter would blank it out . now i know you dont run one i know better.

sorry i typed what i am thinking and thought a filter would blank it out . now i know you dont run one i know better.

That's o.k.

@Everyone,

Please play nice. Make my life a little easier. :agree:

James' comments in the release notes (I'm guessing he wrote them: he develops Anydvd; he doesn't like Blu-ray) are probably going to offend Blu-ray supporters. James has very strong opinions that are going to upset some people. So Blu-ray supporters will undoubtedly post and voice their displeasure. That, in turn, will annoy everyone else. And so the flame war begins.

Then I have to come in, start issuing warnings, etc. and then people think, "Webslinger's the bad guy." I'm a moderator. I have to enforce the forum rules.

If you haven't read the forum rules, I invite you to do so now. Please click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=4

Thank you

Last edited:
and SamuriHL would be second guessing all of his Blu-ray purchases. :D

I don't know...that stack of blu-rays are getting bigger each week. The HD DVD camp better smarten up and give me some deals to work with soon. I just got my 5 free Blu-rays in the mail last week, plus Amazon's buy one get one free, then another 55% off sale, plus Sony's buy 2 get 1 free offer. They're just giving them away. HD DVD...not so much. :D They want to win the hearts, minds, and wallets of us mere consumers, well, they better start putting out. :D

And it's very obvious the original poster is from the USA, otherwise he'd know that most of the 'Blu-ray exclusives' in the US are available on HD DVD in europe. Also having just come back from California the Best Buy I went to there had around 8 shelves for both formats, so it totally depends on where you are on what they have in store, also the local Circuit City seemed to only have HD DVD.

dude it's simple, Blu-ray has region coding and BD+, HD-DVD doesn't. Now which would the consumer rather have?

people seem to be willing to give up there rights little by little :confused:

I didn't even catch that little pearl. Almost laughable how people are willing to give up their rights. The P.A.T.R.I.O.T. act was just the beggining

While I found your little rant quite humorous, there's really no place for it here. <snip>

This forum is for people to share their experiences with HD DVD and Blu-ray playback and ripping on PCs, not for format war rants. <snip>

Slysoft's release notes are spot on in accuracy - PERIOD.

Hear, hear! Spot on Azzr34! :bowdown:

My personal view on this is that yes, the release notes may be accurate, but they dont portray a very professional image about the company.

I understand James's views about blu-ray (not that I agree with them all) but I do understand them. I also read with some amusement about his conversation with his boss about supporting blu-ray.

I dont have a format axe to grind, I'm lucky enough to have both, but I do think that James comments have a more valid place on the forum where he clearly states in his posts that his views are his and not slysofts, as opposed to the release notes.

Just my view for what it's worth.

Last edited:
My personal view on this is that yes, the release notes may be accurate, but they dont portray a very professional image about the company.

I understand James's views about blu-ray (not that I agree with them all) but I do understand them. I also read with some amusement about his conversation with his boss about supporting blu-ray.

I dont have a format axe to grind, I'm lucky enough to have both, but I do think that James comments have a more valid place on the forum where he clearly states in his posts that his views are his and not slysofts, as opposed to the release notes.

Just my view for what it's worth.
Point taken.

I was also highly annoyed by the latest update notification email. Please keep your personal feelings and opinions to yourself. Could someone please explain what the following statement has to do with updated/added features or bug fixes, because apparently I missed it.

"- Note to people considering to invest in HD media: Please buy HD DVD
who throw your fair-use rights out of the window."

I was also highly annoyed by the latest update notification email. Please keep your personal feelings and opinions to yourself. Could someone please explain what the following statement has to do with updated/added features or bug fixes, because apparently I missed it.

"- Note to people considering to invest in HD media: Please buy HD DVD
who throw your fair-use rights out of the window."

It is a friendly advice for our customers.

It is a friendly advice for our customers.

I got that, but there is a time and place for everything. Don't try to disguise your "friendly advice" as a new feature. By mixing this in with the new features/bug fixes, this could be construed as being advice from Slysoft. This "advice" in fact doesn't come from Slysoft, it's your personal advice isn't it James. Please keep your personal statements in the forums and out of the update notifications. :policeman:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back