• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

External Drives

govindar76

Help Please!!

Hi folks,

I am a new user of Slysoft products. I religiously follow all the posts to get a better understanding of ways that AnyDVD and CloneDVD work.

As such I have a couple of questions. These may seem silly to some of you, but please bear with me. I'm trying to get the most use out of the products.

So here goes!!

1. Do I need a Blue Ray or HD DVD drives on computers to play the respective DVD's using PowerDVD 3319, even though I have AnyDVD 6199? Or does AnyDVD eliminate the need for the expensive drives?

2. If there is no need for BD or HD drives, then is it possible to back up HD or BD disk to regular DVD+R or DL DVD's? I understand there needs to be heavy compression.

3. I read somewhere that computer DVD drives are region-locked. There is software available that changes the drive between drives for a total of 5 times. After that you are stuck with whatever region you are on. Now coming to the question: Since AnyDVD has the region code removing feature, will both PAL and NTSC DVD's play on my DVD drive without actually having to change the region on the drive?

Thanks in advance for all your assistance. And thanks again, for being patient with a novice.:bowdown::bowdown:

1. Do I need a Blue Ray or HD DVD drives on computers to play the respective DVD's using PowerDVD 3319, even though I have AnyDVD 6199? Or does AnyDVD eliminate the need for the expensive drives?
For Blu-ray discs you need a Blu-ray drive.
For HD DVD discs you need a HD DVD drive.
I recommend to avoid Blu-ray and get a HD DVD drive, like the XBOX360 HD DVD drive.

3. I read somewhere that computer DVD drives are region-locked. There is software available that changes the drive between drives for a total of 5 times. After that you are stuck with whatever region you are on. Now coming to the question: Since AnyDVD has the region code removing feature, will both PAL and NTSC DVD's play on my DVD drive without actually having to change the region on the drive?
Unless you have a Matsushita (Panasonic) drive: Yes.

Ok ...Here's a doozie.

It just so happens that I just purchased a Dell XPS notebook, and I noticed that the DVD+/-RW drive was a Matsushita drive. So will I have a problem with PAL/NTSC DVD's even with AnyDVD??

Thanks for the quick previous response, James.

Last edited:
James, I just saw your post on Club CD Freaks: http://club.cdfreaks.com/637240-post2.html.

Even though I don't understand the technicalities, I get that with a Matsushita drive, you need to set regions for the DVD drive, to play DVD's from that particular region.
Now is there a utility that does that, and is there a limit to the number of times we can change the region on the DVD drive??

Thanks again

It just so happens that I just purchased a Dell XPS notebook, and I noticed that the DVD+/-RW drive was a Matsushita drive. So will I have a problem with PAL/NTSC DVD's even with AnyDVD??

Yes, if the discs are not in the same region that the drive is set to.

Matshita drives are not only limiting, but they are also cheap junk, which is one reason why laptop companies love them. Get a different drive.

Thanks all for your quick responses.

Unfortunately, I can't get a new one. The XPS system drive is a slot loader built into it.

Guess i have to live with it, or get a formware upgrade for the existing one.

Thanks all for your quick responses.

Unfortunately, I can't get a new one. The XPS system drive is a slot loader built into it.

Guess i have to live with it, or get a formware upgrade for the existing one.

Or get an external (USB) drive, like the XBOX360 HD DVD drive.

Yes, if the discs are not in the same region that the drive is set to.

Matshita drives are not only limiting, but they are also cheap junk, which is one reason why laptop companies love them. Get a different drive.
You just say that because of their regional-lockout - Matsushita is the largest consumer electronics company in the world.

Just download RPC1 firmware from http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php and problem solved!

You just say that because of their regional-lockout - Matsushita is the largest consumer electronics company in the world.

Uhhh, no
Matshita (Panasonic oem) drives are well renowned for being cheap junk and dieing early.

And whether "Matushita is the largest consumer electronics company in the world" has no bearing on whether Matshita drives are junk; what you've stated is a red herring.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Was looking into a lot of stuff after the replies I received for my post. Thanks eveyone.

Now to my question: Is there an external DVD drive anyone can suggest to me which is region free or can be made region free. I believe that would solve my problem.

I could read the source DVD in the external drive, and use AnyDVd and CloneDVD to copy the DVD onto my built-in DVD burner on my notebook.

Is my thinking correct, and if so, please suggest one which has rpc-1 firmware available.

Thanks everyone.

are you able to replace the drive?

you may be able to get faster transfer of data that way, but i'll let someone with more knowledge to answer that better

Man, it is so difficult to replace the drive in the Dell XPS M1330. It is not like the Inspiron's or the Latitudes. You pretty much have to take the whole notebook apart to get to the optical drive.

It is not even worth the effort. Much easier to buy an external one.

Thanks

Is there an external DVD drive anyone can suggest to me which is region free or can be made region free. I believe that would solve my problem.

I could read the source DVD in the external drive, and use AnyDVD and CloneDVD to copy the DVD onto my built-in DVD burner on my notebook.

Is my thinking correct, and if so, please suggest one which has rpc-1 firmware available.

Thanks.:bowdown:

Is there an external DVD drive anyone can suggest to me which is region free or can be made region free. I believe that would solve my problem.

My first suggestion to anyone looking for an external optical drive is to purchase and internal drive and an external housing. The cost will be about equal and you can easily (and cheaply) replace the optical drive in the future.

if you're going to shell out for an external drive or a regular drive and usb enclosure, you might as well do as james said and get an xbox360 hd-dvd drive (which is usb2) they're not that pricey anymore.

Yeah, but that doesn't solve my problem of getting a drive which is region free. I assume that XBOX360 add on drive is not region free.

It would allow me to watch HD movies, but not movies from other regions. Thats my motivation for getting an external drive which is capable of being region free.

Back